Windows 10: Out of Memory - Programs using Virtual Memory but not that much on RAM...

Discus and support Out of Memory - Programs using Virtual Memory but not that much on RAM... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Recently (less than two weeks ago - suspiciously after the update to Windows 2004), my 16gb Windows 10 machine is throwing "Out of Memory" errors,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SacaSoh, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Out of Memory - Programs using Virtual Memory but not that much on RAM...

Recently (less than two weeks ago - suspiciously after the update to Windows 2004), my 16gb Windows 10 machine is throwing "Out of Memory" errors, specially in games - even if they are something like a 2D platformer: after a while I get the events 2004 and 26 (both regarding low virtual memory) and things crash.

I never had an issue like this, and - besides the update to windows 2004 (quite fitting version no. btw) - I didn't change anything at my PC.

Memtest get no errors, nor Prime95, nor trying to stress test CPU, RAM, and GPU (and GPU RAM) at the same time, chaged GPU drivers to last version with DDCleaner... it's on "real scenarios" (games, or simply firefox) that, only sometimes and after some ~30min or more, Windows get out of memory.

RAM usage is fine, it barely gets 10gb, but committed memory goes to ~26gb on automatic page file settings (ie., uses 12gb page file and crashes...).

I've increased page file manually to 16gb and used PerfMon to see page file usage, it's hits almost 13gb on my reproducible crash scenario (an UE4 game - these are certainly to crash - not crashing now with more manual page file).

I want to know if you guys had similar issues with recent builds of windows, makes no sense for it to demand that much page file, or - worse - demand and crash with page file on auto... Don't want to format my PC to have it crashing anyway.

submitted by /u/SacaSoh
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SacaSoh, Nov 8, 2020

2. virtual memory for hp probook 4530s

Hello Peter,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

If your computer lacks the random access memory (RAM) needed to run a program or operation, Windows uses virtual memory to compensate. Virtual memory combines your computer’s RAM with temporary space on your hard disk. When RAM runs low, virtual memory moves
    data from RAM to a space called a paging file. Moving data to and from the paging file frees up RAM so your computer can complete its work.

The more RAM your computer has, the faster your programs will generally run. If a lack of RAM is slowing your computer, you might be tempted to increase virtual memory to compensate. However, your computer can read data from RAM much more quickly than from
    a hard disk, so adding RAM is a better solution.

If you receive error messages that warn of low virtual memory, you need to either add more RAM or increase the size of your paging file so that you can run the programs on your computer.
    Windows usually manages this automatically, but you can manually change the size of virtual memory if the default size isn't large enough for your needs.

• Press Windows Key + R, type systempropertiesprotection
      and hit Enter Key

• Go to Advanced tab, under Performance, click
      Settings.

• Click the Advanced tab, and then, under
      Virtual memory
      , click Change.

• Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.

• Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

• Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or
      Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click
      OK
    Note

• Increases in size usually don't require a restart for the changes to take effect, but if you decrease the size, you'll need to restart your computer. We recommend that you don't disable or delete the paging file.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Nov 8, 2020
  3. Virtual Memory is low.

1.Earlier you said that the recommended virtual memory for 8gb ram from Microsoft is 12288 MB. So what happens if i assign 12288Mb in the initial size for virtual memory?

Virtual memory is a very common technique used in the operating systems (OS) of computers. Virtual memory uses hardware and software to allow a computer to compensate for physical memory shortages, by temporarily transferring data from random access memory
    (RAM) to disk storage.

Ideally, the data needed to run applications is stored in RAM, where they can be accessed quickly by the CPU.

This means all the applications , Games and software's will run smoothly without any lag and errors.

2. Now in the future if upgrade my ram to 16gb or perform a windows 10 clean installation will the paging file size change?

1) You don't "need" it. By default Windows will allocate virtual memory (pagefile) the same size as your RAM. It will "reserve" this disk space to ensure it's there if required. That's why you see a 16GB page file.

2) You can absolutely reduce the pagefile size. You can also move it to a second disk if you have one.

As i have mentioned earlier, Microsoft recommends that you set virtual memory to be no less than 1.5 times and no more than 3 times the amount of RAM on your computer. For power PC owners (like most UE/UC users), you likely have at least 2GB of RAM so your
    virtual memory can be set up to 6,144 MB (6 GB).

3.Sometimes while running heavy tasks, for total available virtual memory of 9.8gb usage increases in the range 66%-75%.

I am using memreduct for monitoring ram consumption. It shows me a red mark whenever the virtual memory usage is high. Is this ok?

As long as this is not causing you any issues this is good.

To Fix Windows 10 High Memory Usage

Close unnecessary programs.

Disable startup programs.

Disable Superfetch service.

Increase virtual memory.

Set Registry Hack.

Defragment hard drives.

Methods suitable for software problems.

Virus or antivirus.

Adjust for best performance.

Reinstall Windows 10.

Increase physical memory.

I hope this will help.

kusumsharma, Nov 8, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Out of Memory - Programs using Virtual Memory but not that much on RAM...

Virtual Memory

Hi Lê

Nowadays, virtual memory is not as important as it used to be . . .

Years ago PC's had limited RAM and when the RAM was exceeded hard drive space was used to substitute fr the lack of RAM

PC's nowadays have plenty of RAM and it is rare for Windows and the applications you use to exceed the amount of RAM you have installed on your system

Virtual memory is much slower than RAM, because the access speed on your hard drive is much slower than the RAM access speed, so there is no real advantage to using virtual memory, if you find your system regularly exceeds your System RAM upgrading the amount
    of RAM on your PC would be a much better option . . .

DaveM121, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

Out of Memory - Programs using Virtual Memory but not that much on RAM...

1. Out of Memory - Programs using Virtual Memory but not that much on RAM... - Similar Threads - Memory Programs using

2. Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC: Hi, I'm Sakib from Bangladesh. I'm using Windows 10 for years. I'm spotting a thing, Windows is automatically generating 11.8GB of virtual memory on my pc with 6GB of physical memory. And it looks like it is slowed my pc down a little. It even takes a minimum of 5 seconds to...
  3. Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC: Hi, I'm Sakib from Bangladesh. I'm using Windows 10 for years. I'm spotting a thing, Windows is automatically generating 11.8GB of virtual memory on my pc with 6GB of physical memory. And it looks like it is slowed my pc down a little. It even takes a minimum of 5 seconds to...
  4. Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?: I have a 16 GB RAM machine, and a couple of weeks ago, I bought the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. It has been known so far to utilize up to 24GB of available RAM in PCs that have that much RAM installed. Is it possible to double, triple, or even quadruple my RAM using...
  6. Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?: I have a 16 GB RAM machine, and a couple of weeks ago, I bought the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. It has been known so far to utilize up to 24GB of available RAM in PCs that have that much RAM installed. Is it possible to double, triple, or even quadruple my RAM using...
  7. Memory uses too much RAM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory uses too much RAM?: Howdy, I still have the problem that my memory is used 85% of the time even though I don't have anything on. I was using Process Explorer and lo and behold, my system and the registry are using way too much RAM! How can I eliminate this problem? With kind regards...
  8. Add virtual ram to memory

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add virtual ram to memory: Hi, On my desktop I have a 16 Gb pagefile and 16Gb of ram which gives 32 Gb of memory. On my laptop I have tried to change the pagefile size to 18 Gb to get 24 Gb of memory with my 6 Gb ram. My pagefile is 18 Gb as showned in explorer C directory but my ram is still only 6...
  9. Virtual memory fix for 8gb ram

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Virtual memory fix for 8gb ram: I m using acer aspire 5 8 gb varient what is the best paging file size for pubg emulator..... Plz help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-memory-fix-for-8gb-ram/68fb864a-6eaa-49bb-8517-4875c9f369ce
  10. Virtual memory 2000 too much or no?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual memory 2000 too much or no?: Im new to this , i want to play MW warzone but it crashes so i saw in a tutorial how to fix it by putting virtual memory on 2000 on both , i have an ssd and 16GB of RAM. Am i doing something wrong? is it safe?. submitted by /u/pepinopocho [link] [comments]...