Windows 10: "Out of memory" when copying files

Discus and support "Out of memory" when copying files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to copy files from a smaller external hard drive into a larger one. I first tried just highlighting the biggest file, selecting copy, going... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jezza819, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Jezza819 Win User

"Out of memory" when copying files

I'm trying to copy files from a smaller external hard drive into a larger one. I first tried just highlighting the biggest file, selecting copy, going to the new drive and selecting paste. The copying process started but after a few minutes I got the error message "out of memory". So I've been trying to copy smaller sections of files to try and get around this problem. Sometimes it works but sometimes I still get the out of memory message.

How do I fix this? When trying to copy 1.8TB of files being able to do it all at one time would really help. Having to go down to 10gb or so each time would really drag this process out.

:)

Jezza819, Jan 30, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jan 30, 2019
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Jan 30, 2019
  4. "Out of memory" when copying files

Delicieuxz, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

"Out of memory" when copying files

1. "Out of memory" when copying files - Similar Threads - memory copying files

2. duplicate files when copying folder with GUI

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    duplicate files when copying folder with GUI: When I try copy user folders quite often I get the message that folder/file already exists, I copy c:\program data or c:\users user folders from one hard drive to a brand new computer with brand new hard disk, so that folder/file absolutely sure doesn't exist on the new one,...
  3. Windows Explorer is maxing out memory when viewing large files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer is maxing out memory when viewing large files: i have an issue on a number of Windows 10 machines. So i do not believe that this is Hardware related. if i open a folder which has large file “xlsx for example” then the Memory starts to be eaten up until it gets to 100% and the machine then stops working. You you open a...
  4. Not enough memory to copy .PES files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not enough memory to copy .PES files: We use Embird files with .pes extension. This afternoon, I can no longer copy the files to a USB which is used to transfer files to my Destiny embroidery machine. The file size is 51KB yet we get a message that says "There is not enough memory to complete this operation "...
  5. Error when copying files to HDD's or deleting files.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error when copying files to HDD's or deleting files.: I recently bought two drives (a 1TB Seagate and a 2 TB WD) off Facebook Marketplace. I know it's a risk to buy used HDD, particularly on Facebook/Craiglist/etc..., but considering the cost I thought it was an acceptable risk. I am having some strange issues with these two...
  6. Out of memory problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Out of memory problems: I am again getting problems with my 4 GB Ram TabletPC which is being brought to a halt frequently by 'out of memory' problems. Mostly it happens when browsing, usually with Opera. Sometimes it occurs right at the start with only one tab in use when trying to play a YouTube...
  7. FSX out of memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FSX out of memory: Since upgrading to win 10 pro 64-bit, I now get OOM from FSX. My worst one is iFly 737. In win 7 I had no problems. I even started at a default airport with my ifly 737 and once in the air, headed out over the ocean. Using VAS monitor, the memory usage kept climbing till it...
  8. Server BSOD when copying files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Server BSOD when copying files: I have a 2012 server that will bsod when I try to copy data over the network. It will drop anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour of copying data. it has never done this before and I've copied a lot of data off of it before. I could sure use some help figuring this one out....
  9. Win10 running "out of memory" when the computer sleeps.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 running "out of memory" when the computer sleeps.: Hello After installing Windows 10 a while back I began seeing a "Your computer is low on memory" error... this error only appears after the computer goes to sleep and is woken up, and never happened on Windows 7 or 8.1. Nothing has changed except for the os The os is on...
  10. Windows 10 Explorer.exe high CPU and memory usage when copying files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Explorer.exe high CPU and memory usage when copying files: I recently upgraded both my PC to Windows 10, and whenever I copy large amount of files (or analyzing large amount of files before copying), with explorer.exe uses a massive amount of CPU (~50%) and memory (~up to 3 GB). System process also uses a lot of CPU (fixed memory...