Windows 10: Outdated hardware snags Marines’ migration to Windows 10

Discus and support Outdated hardware snags Marines’ migration to Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Outdated hardware snags Marines’ migration to Windows 10 When the Defense Department announced its plan to upgrade most of its computers to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, May 11, 2016.

1. Outdated hardware snags Marines’ migration to Windows 10

Outdated hardware snags Marines’ migration to Windows 10

Read more: http://federalnewsradio.com/marine-c...on-windows-10/

Cluster Head, May 11, 2016

2. That's unfortunate but they need to see clean installs of 10 for each machine regardless as well as getting the right match up for driver support. But that is typical of what many call "government waste"! *Confused

:)

Night Hawk, May 12, 2016
  3. aakkam22 Win User
    Does Office need to be reinstalled after Windows 10 upgrade

No, you will not need to reinstall Office 2016 as it will migrate to Windows 10. Likewise, any other compatible applications will also transfer, as well as your files.

Keep in mind that the Windows 10 upgrade is a major upgrade, and as with any major change to your PC, it would be prudent to back up any important data before doing the upgrade. Although the installation will likely occur without much trouble, there may
    be a snag or two.

aakkam22, May 12, 2016
  4. LunaDia Win User

Zoo Tycoon Ultimate Collection Missing Tank option

I recently bought Zoo Tycoon 2 Ultimate Collection and installed it fine on my laptop which runs on Windows 10. Everything in the game works, except that I am unable to build tanks for marine animals as part of the Marine Mania expansion pack. All the animals
    still show up for adoption as well as their enrichment/food etc, but I can't build them a tank.

Do I need to uninstall it then install it again? Or should I buy the Marine Mania expansion pack and try installing that to see if it fixes the problem? Please help!

LunaDia, May 12, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Actually, it comes from an attempt to -- or perhaps more accurately from wishful thinking about -- avoid[ing] waste. See my blog post inspired by this news story. Thanks for sharing this item, Cluster Head. I've been following the military upgrade stuff with great interest.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 12, 2016
  6. Last year at this time they would have been seeing 8.1 systems coming in and now what to do when 10 upgrades aren't going so well? Either way you look at it they are caught in a rough place.

Night Hawk, May 13, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    And they would have downgraded them immediately to Windows 7 Enterprise.

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2016
  8. Outdated hardware snags Marines’ migration to Windows 10

Not necessarily! I know a former Marine who spend 7yrs. with Linux systems. For clerical and other administrative functions typically you will find Windows in use. The report doesn't cover everything obviously while it mentions XP still being in use despite that now being a boat anchor since some dept.s likely are still running older softwares that simply may not have seen updated versions.

A good chance that most anything that reached 8.1 however wouldn't much of a problem for 10. The backward compatibility gap was largest between Legacy and XP as well as between that and Vista. The key for getting older hardwares to work with 10 if finding out if those saw 8.1 support especially for the 64bit side of the equation. I've been able to take older expansion cards discontinued before 7 arrived even and get them running with the 8.1 updates for the nearest model.

The 10 installer would see the device drivers go on while the software portion for the newer updated PCIe form was made to work on the older PCI model. As for main boards with and without the UEFI that presents a rather different challenge there however especially for premade systems where the older models get stuffed in the way as soon as something newer is out often only seeing support for an additional version or two while 10 is now three versions newer then 7! With anything OEM made that's a huge gap!

Night Hawk, May 13, 2016
  9. this is really no surprise seeing as our government wastes so much money on so much unneeded crap, it is not funny. maybe if they would scale back on some of the futile attempts on trying to change the middle east into doing things the US way and leave them alone, there would be money left to upgrade needed equipment.

Computer tech, May 14, 2016
  10. A review of "Foreign Policies" has been suggested to every administration I can remember but never gets anywhere! The one thing the gov does know how to do well is "spend spend spend"! How much is actual waste depends on who is taking a look.

Night Hawk, May 14, 2016
  11. VBJP Win User
    Those laptops probably support windows 10 without any problem (I have installed windows 10 on quite old laptops in worst case windows 7 driver usually works).
    Problem probably is not being able to upgrade remotely. For that you need some thing like vPro hardware, because remote control software doesn't work when OS isn't running normally (during upgrade).

12. CountMike New Member
    That violates first soldiers rule: Never volunteer first !!

CountMike, May 15, 2016
  13. Outdated hardware snags Marines’ migration to Windows 10

Welcome to the Ten Forums! VBJP I took an HP 7 Home Premium 32bit laptop and ran with the 64bit flavor of 10 Home without hardly seeing any issues note once the OEM crap was wiped off of the drive completely and then seeing a working second clean install of the 64bit following the initial 32bit upgrade and 32bit clean install but found the OEM Primary couldn't be resized in any manner and had to go!

For the main and not second desktop build the sound card has to see a fresh software install followed by the immediate web update for the older model expansion card. The long discontinued tv tuner card 10 found the main driver for lacked even a 7 updated version of the Vista update took the app for that old PCI card from a new PCIe model apparently still seeing the same chip onboard and that model's 8.1 update likely last to be seen is now working on 10 with ease since 8.1 was the immediate predacessor to 10.

Since the Vista,7 start off unlike the folly of going from Legacy to ME or 2000 to XP and then Vista being a strange new animal without any initial support drivers from 7 on have been found to work as new as on 10 since MS got busy on improving the backward compatibility in order to get everyone on 10 with existing hardwares! This was all thought out a long time ago before MS came up with the 10 app and KB3035583 being jammed down everyone's throat as to how to deal with the vast differences in hardwares. Make 10 compatibility backward flexible as much as possible as far as hardwares while major software companies will simply have to still put out newer versions as they would anyways!

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Outdated hardware snags Marines’ migration to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Outdated hardware snags

2. Migrating Windows 10 to new hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating Windows 10 to new hardware: I would like to clone the disk of my old Windows 10 PC with a W10pro OEM license to a new PC that also has a W10 pro OEM license. The new PC has not been unboxed yet ;The cloning is not the problem. I did this before with Macrium Reflect or EaseUS and this works as long as...
  3. Migrating Windows 10 to new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating Windows 10 to new hardware: I would like to clone the disk of my old Windows 10 PC with a W10pro OEM license to a new PC that also has a W10 pro OEM license. The new PC has not been unboxed yet ;The cloning is not the problem. I did this before with Macrium Reflect or EaseUS and this works as long as...
  4. Migrating Windows 10 to new hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bandlab Install Snag: Windows Firewall Blockage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bandlab Install Snag: Windows Firewall Blockage: At the very first step in the Install Windows threw this warning. Am I assuming correctly that if I check "Private Network..." all features will be available and that I not be facing any security risks? Thanks for your help. [img] 168285
  6. Windows 10 1903 Outdated

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1903 Outdated: So i have Windows 10 1903 update for a year now but is it still safe at 1903 after December 8 2020? This laptop originally has 1809 but when 1809 is out of support i gotta move i moved to 1903 on October 2019 but now 1903 is going out of support im planning to move at 1909...
  7. WinSxs folder and outdated hardware

in Windows 10 Support
    WinSxs folder and outdated hardware: WinSxs folder contains two of each .inf files for floppy disk and tape drive which are outdated, is it possible to delete the files? 155313
  8. Ridding of Windows.old: a snag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Ridding of Windows.old: a snag: As per one of the tutorials, I used used the cleaning facility to remove Windows.old, but can find no evidence of a Previous Windows installation(s)FiFile, when I open the Clean System Files option. Can anyone help me, please! 47552
  9. Snag with Repair Install

Snag with Repair Install: I thought that I would try to do a repair install as I am having a few problems with my computer, but when I get to the page where I am asked what I choose to keep the 1st 2 options are greyed out and my only choice is 'Nothing'. The reason appears to be due to a message at...
  10. System migration hardware, OS and software question

System migration hardware, OS and software question: Hi all Rigs blown (see bottom thread to avoid confusion). Ordered some new components to fit in with the existing rig. Boring Part Existing parts that I am using: Fractal Design R4 Case Samsung SSD850Pro 500 MB O/S Programs/Some program data Barracuda 2TB Drive for...