Windows 10: Outdated Windows 10 installation files and upgrade issues

Discus and support Outdated Windows 10 installation files and upgrade issues in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello guys, I have a problem and some questions for you. Thank you for helping out, your support is very much appreciated. Here is my case. In August... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Marco83, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Marco83 Win User

Outdated Windows 10 installation files and upgrade issues

Hello guys, I have a problem and some questions for you. Thank you for helping out, your support is very much appreciated.
    Here is my case. In August Windows 10 downloaded itself on my system, but without my consent, since I had not reserved it. It then tried to install, but failed. I noticed this anomalous behaviour through Windows Update, where several instances of these failed attempts were recorded. I then decided to disable automatic updates, in order to obtain Windows 10 later at another time, since I was not ready for it yet. And I proceeded to install regular Windows 8.1 updates.
    Now, some months later, I feel like the time for trying out Windows 10 has come, but I'm afraid Windows 10 installation files stored months ago in the C:\$Windows.~BT folder may be heavily outdated and thus cause issues. Moreover, in the meantime, people at Microsoft announced the specific problem which was previously determining failures in my upgrade process had finally been addressed and solved over later (more recent) Windows 10 installations.
    Now, what should I do to obtain an updated Windows 10 installation package? Will automatic updates, once they're turned on and I have reserved my Windows 10 copy through the apposite tool, just do everything required? Will the old installation files at C:\$Windows.~BT be recognized as outdated and consequently overwritten?
    In case I were to use the Media Creation Tool as a last resort in order to upgrade, should I remove the $Windows.~BT folder and all of its content beforehand?
    Thank you for your time, answers and precious help, because I do not really know what to do

:)

Marco83, Nov 19, 2015

2. Random restarts in Windows 10 Lenovo 510 laptop, reoccurring 0x00000124/ ntoskrnl.exe (dumps provided)

Thank you for keeping us updated. For further troubleshooting, we recommend that you perform an In-place
    Upgrade with Windows 10
    to fix corrupted and outdated system files. Also, performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications
    that are currently installed on your computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Efraim Gar, Nov 19, 2015
  3. Will Norton antivirus work on Windows 10?

My HP 1020 worked with no issues. I did the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 method. I remember it having issues when I installed Windows 8, so it could be that either 10 has the drivers built in, or the ones already installed carried over ok. Either way, I'm not
    having any issues with a budget level HP printer that is outdated.

AdamFrantz, Nov 19, 2015
  4. Slugger Win User

Just download Media Creation Tool.
    Image your drive with Macrium Reflect Free before doing anything.
    Find your Windows 8.1 key!
    If your using Firefox and Thunderbird you can use MozBackup. Also try Ninite to install lots of apps.
    At this point you can do an upgrade or do a clean install. Then you can copy your data over. And re-install your apps.
    Good luck

Slugger, Nov 19, 2015
  5. Marco83 Win User
    Thank you. Is Firefox not working after the upgrade, is that why I should use Mozbackup? Also, I noticed a 7,3 Mb .exe file is offered by clicking "upgrade now" button at Windows 10 Will this do the trick too?
    One more thing. Windows came pre-installed on my laptop. I used Nirsoft Product Key to find my Windows 8.1 key. Is that a good, reliable solution?

Marco83, Nov 19, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Nov 19, 2015
  7. Marco83 Win User
    Thank you for your useful advise

Marco83, Nov 19, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Good luck. Please let us know how you make out.

Ztruker, Nov 19, 2015
  9. Marco83 Win User
    Thanks, I'll post in the next days, in case I should encounter any problems, and hopefully as soon as I upgrade

Marco83, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Outdated Windows 10 installation files and upgrade issues - Similar Threads - Outdated installation files

2. Outdated c++ files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outdated c++ files: Hi, I have no idea if this is the right place to post this but I'm a bit stumped here. I have 3 outdated c++ files; two dated 7/22/2020 and one dated 1/26/2021. I want to remove or update them but have no idea how to update them or if it is safe to remove them. Any help is...
  3. Outdated c++ files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outdated c++ files: Hi, I have no idea if this is the right place to post this but I'm a bit stumped here. I have 3 outdated c++ files; two dated 7/22/2020 and one dated 1/26/2021. I want to remove or update them but have no idea how to update them or if it is safe to remove them. Any help is...
  4. Outdated c++ files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows update is installing outdated graphics driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update is installing outdated graphics driver: Hi,I have an Intel i5-11600K processor with integrated graphics of UHD 750, I have installed the latest graphics driver from the intel drivers site of version 31.0.101.3802.But the windows update was installing the older version of the graphics driver of version -...
  6. Windows 10 Update Continues to Try to Install Outdated Driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update Continues to Try to Install Outdated Driver: I have an HP laptop and WIndows 10 Update continues to try to install an old driver, older than the driver that HP recommends. I have updated the PC with the HP driver, but Windows 10 continues to prompt me to install the older driver. The only way I've found to get rid of...
  7. Windows 10 Update Continues to Try to Install Outdated Driver

Windows 10 Update Continues to Try to Install Outdated Driver: I have an HP laptop and WIndows 10 Update continues to try to install an old driver, older than the driver that HP recommends. I have updated the PC with the HP driver, but Windows 10 continues to prompt me to install the older driver. The only way I've found to get rid of...
  8. Windows 10 Update Continues to Try to Install Outdated Driver

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows 10 1903 Outdated

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1903 Outdated: So i have Windows 10 1903 update for a year now but is it still safe at 1903 after December 8 2020? This laptop originally has 1809 but when 1809 is out of support i gotta move i moved to 1903 on October 2019 but now 1903 is going out of support im planning to move at 1909...
  10. Batch File/ Outdated Application

Batch File/ Outdated Application: So I have this old .application file that was originally on the companies computers that was written for Windows 7. What this application did was, when ever a fax came in (we have faxes that are sent to a folder in PDF format) it would activate the application and pop open a...