Windows 10: Outlook 2013/2016 using tremendous amounts of bandwidth

Discus and support Outlook 2013/2016 using tremendous amounts of bandwidth in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, I've read in many forums about Outlook/Office365 using a tremendous amount of bandwidth. I have an office with 10 heavy outlook users, half... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Kaj, Oct 9, 2016.

1. KAJ
    Kaj Win User

Outlook 2013/2016 using tremendous amounts of bandwidth

Hi,

I've read in many forums about Outlook/Office365 using a tremendous amount of bandwidth. I have an office with 10 heavy outlook users, half being delegates of the bosses that have HUGE mailboxes (~15GB) and that refuse to archive emails.

They have a 30M internet connection that seemingly is not enough and constantly makes their Outlooks "hang" when searching for delegated contacts or just sending and replying to emails with big attachments etc.

I just want to confirm that this is seemingly is the case and that it's nothing else weird. Does it sound right to you guys? I told them to get the max bandwidth they can get there, which is 50MB but they are at the point where they are grumpy and don't believe my advice to upgrade their connection.

Thanks,

K

:)

2. Mark Bu Win User

Microsoft Creator 1703 Mail App

The article
    Compare Mail and Calendar apps for Windows 10 with Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2013
    states the following:

The Mail and Calendar apps on Windows 10 provide a basic, touch-friendly email and calendar application that is great for use with personal email services, and comes free with every Windows 10 device.

Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 also are available for Windows 10 devices, with the purchase of Office 2013, Office 2016, or Office 365. Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 are the leading applications for professional email, calendar, contacts, and task management,
    for those who want the richest feature set for email and calendaring.

Mark Bu, Oct 9, 2016
  3. Desktop Outlook is closing himself when I try to read an email.

To better assist you, which version of Outlook are you using? Is it Outlook 2013 or 2016?

Thank you.

Stephanie Sal, Oct 9, 2016
  4. ltwally Win User

You're likely dealing with two issues, beyond that of an unreasonable client/employer.

First, as you mentioned, the bandwidth requirement for keeping large mailboxes in sync can be tremendous. If you have a business grade router, you might use it to chart the bandwidth usage when Outlook syncs. Keep in mind that with the amount of network requests back to the MS servers taking place, it isn't just raw bandwidth; latency is also going to be a major killer.... if you only have a small amount of data to keep in sync, than who notices a 50ms latency? But when you have thousands of items in the mailbox that Outlook has to check on, one at a time, suddenly that 50ms latency is a killer. Beefing up your bandwidth rarely improves your latency, unless that bandwidth is already maxed out.

Second, Outlook itself has never been particularly good at managing extremely large mailboxes. The mailboxes are essentially databases, and Outlook is a very poor database engine. (Run scanpst afterhours on those large pst/ost files, and watch it report back the number of items in need of fixing). One of the old methods of improving this was to separate large folders into multiple mailboxes (pst files). However, if they're refusing to archive, they likely want it all "in the cloud"... so they're removing technical solutions to their self-created problems.

If you cannot convince your client / employer to sensibly archive old items, then they need to switch from Outlook to webmail. Webmail will alleviate much of the pain of the large mailbox, as little is transmitted until an attachment needs to be downloaded. Office365's webmail is very full-featured, and can accomplish 95% of what they would do with Outlook.

If webmail isn't good enough, and they're not reasonable enough to archive their mailboxes, then you can always suggest they purchase their own Exchange server. Of course, that's a substantial increase in cost, both for the server and for your time, but it certainly alleviates the bandwidth issue.

So, there you have it... they can:
    a) Archive things like sensible people. This solves all the issues, but sounds like it will only happen as a last resort.
    b) Use webmail. This solves all the issues, but at the expense of the occasional Outlook feature not available via webmail.
    c) Buy an Exchange server. This alleviates the bandwidth and latency issue, but not deal with Outlooks management of overly large mailboxes. Keep in mind that with an Exchange server comes backing it up, etc etc. If you're not full-time IT, also keep in mind that Exchange requires an Active Directory server...

I think that, with a little research and monitoring on your router, you can put together a very compelling case where they will find that the only financially viable solution will be for them to change their ways.

ltwally, Oct 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Outlook 2013/2016 using tremendous amounts of bandwidth - Similar Threads - Outlook 2013 2016

2. Service host using up insane amount of bandwidth.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Service host using up insane amount of bandwidth.: I've looked through countless threads but can't find anything that fixes my issue. The Service Host task on my pc is using up an insane amount of bandwidth, the network usage is at a constant 30mps and it's using about 1gb of data per minute, I've done extensive scans on my...
  3. Service host using up insane amount of bandwidth.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Service host using up insane amount of bandwidth.: I've looked through countless threads but can't find anything that fixes my issue. The Service Host task on my pc is using up an insane amount of bandwidth, the network usage is at a constant 30mps and it's using about 1gb of data per minute, I've done extensive scans on my...
  4. SVC Host using tremendous amount of Data.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SVC Host using tremendous amount of Data.: I have been facing an issue of where the HOST PROCESS is extremely consuming data in background and this has been going on for a long time. Around 5GB of data is consumed each day which blocks my internet usage when I need it the most. How do I stop this process from...
  5. Outlook 2013

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Outlook 2013: I bought Outlook 2013 a few years ago downloaded from Microsoft. I have a new laptop. Can I download it onto the new computer too. I am not sure how many computers are allowed. It is a program, not Outlook.com...
  6. Migrating Outlook from Office 2013 to Office 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Migrating Outlook from Office 2013 to Office 2016: Hi, is there any way of backing up all email accounts in Outlook 2013 (including username+password) and restoring them in Outlook 2016 without having to manually recreate the accounts? Thanks 53270
  7. Transfering account settings from Outlook 2013 to 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Transfering account settings from Outlook 2013 to 2016: Hi I need some advise. I've been using Outlook 2013 in Win 8 on other partition. I wanted to backup my old Outlook 2013 account settings and restore them into Outlook2016 because I have 7-8 email accounts. I did the registry backup from outlook /15/profile/outlook ....
  8. Outlook 2013

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2013: Creating "New Email" just stopped working as it normally does. It shows in the task bar as "Untiltled - Message" but does not show in Outlook and when I click on the mini window, I only see the desktop. Very strange. Just began today. 43259
  9. Install Outlook 2013 Alongside Office 2016?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Install Outlook 2013 Alongside Office 2016?: I have recently installed Office Professional Plus 2016 (the full package, with nothing left out, as well as Outlook 2016). However, I recently discovered that Outlook 2016 doesn't support the Business Contact Manager addin. So, can I install only Outlook 2013 (and BCM)...
  10. Conflict between Outlook 2013 and Office 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Conflict between Outlook 2013 and Office 2016: It seems that search feature in Outlook 2013 32 bit ceases after installing Office 2016. Would appreciate any tip on a possible workaround to this. -Windows 10 Pro 64bit 94564