Windows 10: Outlook 2016 - 365 - Not displaying private contacts

Discus and support Outlook 2016 - 365 - Not displaying private contacts in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello - Just bought a new computer with Windows 10 and Office 365. Have had great difficulty setting up Outlook email. Had to switch to a POP3 email... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mar94, Jan 10, 2017.

1. mar94 Win User

Outlook 2016 - 365 - Not displaying private contacts

Hello -
    Just bought a new computer with Windows 10 and Office 365. Have had great difficulty setting up Outlook email. Had to switch to a POP3 email account in order to recoup my category capability. And now, I can't figure out how to display my PRIVATE contacts. None of them show up, even upon search.

I read somewhere that one needs a Microsoft Exchange account in order to make this happen - I don't even know what that is. And how is that possible that all of my private contacts have simply disappeared?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - THANK YOU.

:)

mar94, Jan 10, 2017

2. Windows 10 Photos App - no Outlook 2013 Share option??

Basically I have no use for useless Mail, People or Calendar and only use Office 2016 Outlook etc, so find that these are wasted features which I wish I could completely delete off my PC, I am over noting that between them and Skype they are invasive on
    my private lists of contacts, no matter what I do to stop it.

I want to share with Outlook 2016 desktop, I pay a subscription so would expect that although MS wants us to use the apps, they should consider the fact that they offer 365 Office and therefore cater a bit more to that group as well.

Mail/Outlook.com are of no use they are of basic form and to be honest why would I store my people and private meetings on a hosted email system when I can store privately.

So because of those reasons why can you not design MS Win 10 to include MS Outlook 365, 2013 and 2016 as part of the 'Share' apps.

The word 'Share' implies to me to include all the things such as Mail, Desktop Mail (365, 2013, 2016), Messenger, Facebook etc. Why limit it.

I get fed up with photos not being able to share via 'Share' as it wont register Outlook 2016. I now have just gone right click on a document and see 'share' there and had hoped with the October Creator Update to Win 10 that this may be improved, no just
    a more confusing dialogue.

MyNameSpace, Jan 10, 2017
  3. Office 365 Calendar - Invite People To Meeting

I have noticed that when I create a meeting in Office 365, and select the People I want to invite, it will display everyone that I have received an email from/to, whether or not they are in any of my address lists. This does not occur in my desktop version
    of Outlook 2016, only people in my address list will display. Is there a setting in Outlook 2016 that will show everyone like it does online?

***Moved from: Office / Outlook / Windows 10 / Office 2016***/

Tracy Loetz, Jan 10, 2017
  4. Outlook 2016 - 365 - Not displaying private contacts

Welcome to the TenForums.

Outlook can be quite involved to set up but lets give it a shot. You said you bought a new computer and then if I have this correct you are using the monthly / yearly plan, Office 365, to get access to all the Microsoft Office Programs. Within this group you are trying to use Outlook 2016. I'm asking for this clarification as there are several items labelled "Outlook" in the Microsoft stable, their web based mail, their Window 10 / Tablet app and the actual Office Outlook. Please confirm this is Office Outlook 2016.

So I'll assume this is Office Outlook 2016. When you moved from your old machine did you create pst file of your mail and contacts that you or someone imported for you on your new machine. If they imported your contacts then in the people window, on the left hand side, assuming you have the navigation pane open, do you see the words Contacts (This computer only). Clcik on this. It should show your imported contacts.

Don't worry about the Exchange account, that is something as simple as a Outlook.com address (formerly known as Hotmail.com).

I don't want you to supply your full email address but are you using gmail, hotmail, yahoo etc?

Caledon Ken, Jan 10, 2017
  5. mar94 Win User
    Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes - correct assumption - Office 365 subscription.

I had previously been using Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 and the .pst data file would not transfer anything. So I had to start from scratch. The only way I was able to retrieve my Calendar and Contacts was (thankfully!) from my phone. (iPhone 7 using Deja Connect, not iCloud).

For my primary account, the one associated with the Contacts and the Calendar, I am using the email provided by my website hosted by BlueHost.

Hope this information is what you were asking - thank you again for taking the time to respond.

mar94, Jan 10, 2017
  6. Do you still have old 7? We really should start there.

I am familiar with deja and we just abandon it on my wife's android in favor of a full Outlook / Outlook.com solution. I use same solution, Outlook, to iPhone 6.

I assume you sync deja wirelessly? I ask as I recall there was a way to set the replication direction. So maybe get lucky and export to PC.

First though, is your old seven around?

Caledon Ken, Jan 10, 2017
  7. mar94 Win User
    Thanks, again - that's pretty amazing that you're using a similar set-up.

I can't fire up the old computer, but I can 'maybe' find the old .pst file.

I sync deja via USB. And I'm thinking that one semi-solution is to un-check all of the Private contacts on my phone and sync to the computer - thereby losing the capability that privacy provides. Does that seem to be a logical conclusion?

What is your Outlook to iPhone solution??

Thank you!

mar94, Jan 11, 2017
  8. Outlook 2016 - 365 - Not displaying private contacts

Yes you could uncheck and if you are using USB then I'm very sure there is a sync direction. I'm not familiar with marking contacts Private. I know I mark meetings private. My phone like yours, I'm sure, is password protected.

I would find old .pst. You have to watch where you find it. There maybe more than one and one could be down the hidden path of "Appdata" assuming Win 7. You really want to look through all folders under your user name with hidden files exposed. Then a wild card search *.pst.

My solution. I use Outlook 2013 on PC. I then have an Outlook.com web account. (These also go under the name hotmail, msn, live).

I took by calendar from Outlook and imported it into Outlook.com. I added the outlook.com account to Outlook 2013. When I added outlook.com account to Outlook 2013, I told it it was an exchange account. Now my calendar gets sync'ed from Outlook.com to Outlook 2013. For contacts and tasks I copied them in Outlook 2013 from PST file to the outlook.com account. (Copy and paste within Outlook 2013. These were then sync'ed up to Outlook.com by system. Yes, different process from calendar. I just followed directions in articles.

I set the outlook.com account in outlook to be the default data account. Now what ever I do in either place is sync'ed.

The phone was the easiest. I went to Apple mail app and I added the outlook.com account and told it to sync reminders(tasks), calendar, and contacts. Then I went into the mail account settings on phone and set things from outlook.com to be default, told it to sync all mail, not to delete stuff on its own etc.

All this syncing is done wireless and while not real time some changes sync so fast it appears that way. Other days it can take five minutes.

Now if I add to my phone it appears on Outlook 2013 and vice-versa. One trick on calendar, invites have to be sent to Outlook.com address. If not they appear on you PST calendar. I just use Apple apps, reminders, calendars, contacts, mail.

There was another post I did in the last two / three weeks about Outlook and in that post I posted the articles I used as reference. Person wanted to sync calendar, contacts and notes. Have a look, if you can't find then I will look.

Caledon Ken, Jan 11, 2017
  9. mar94 Win User
    THANK YOU so much again for your clear explanations. I finally unmarked all of the private contacts on the phone, uploaded, and all contacts are there. Hooray.

I will print out your instructions for the Outlook.com to Apple option at a later date. That might be a possibility. Again, thank you very much for responding.

mar94, Jan 12, 2017
  10. That is what the forum is for. Once you read the instructions if you have any questions post. Once I converted my wife she loved it. Every so often Deja would not find device and you basically have some things in two places. This way its all done for you.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Outlook 2016 - 365 - Not displaying private contacts

1. Outlook 2016 - 365 - Not displaying private contacts - Similar Threads - Outlook 2016 365

2. Import outlook express contacts to outlook 365

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Import outlook express contacts to outlook 365: I have a .wab file which I would like to import to Outlook 365. I have tried exporting .was to .csv but doesn't import correctly - just the names without the detail. Any help will be much appreciated....
  3. Import outlook express contacts to outlook 365

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Import outlook express contacts to outlook 365: I have a .wab file which I would like to import to Outlook 365. I have tried exporting .was to .csv but doesn't import correctly - just the names without the detail. Any help will be much appreciated....
  4. Sync google contacts with outlook 365

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sync google contacts with outlook 365: What's the best way to sync google contacts with outlook 365? 151541
  5. get error 0x80040201 when importing contacts from outlook 2016 to outlook 365

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    get error 0x80040201 when importing contacts from outlook 2016 to outlook 365: trying to import contacts from outlook 2016 to outlook 365 win10. get error: 0x80040201. help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/get-error-0x80040201-when-importing-contacts-from/d50a3d87-a6de-4ca5-b50d-67e9245817c6"
  6. Outlook 2016/365 Crashing

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2016/365 Crashing: I have been a long time user of MS Office from 2003, through 2007 to 2010. Recently I decided to take up the subscription for 2016/365 Home with the intention of installing on my desktop PC and laptop plus my wife's laptop (all running W10x64 Home). Having installed 2016/365...
  7. Adding message receipients to Outlook 2016 contacts

in Browsers and Email
    Adding message receipients to Outlook 2016 contacts: Hello: Does anyone know if there is a way to automatically, by default, add the people I send e-mails to using Outlook 2016 into the contacts list? I know that some other e-mail clients have a way to do this, but I have not discovered it yet in Outlook 2016. Thanks...
  8. Contacts missing in outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Contacts missing in outlook 2016: I upgraded office 2007 to office 2016 professional. Everything was OK yesterday. But today I noticed that all my contacts in outlook are missing. They changed the file outlook.pst to “my L: name@woh.rr.com.ost. I put in my old outlook.pst that I have saved but it ignores it...
  9. Linking Outlook 2016 with Office 365

Linking Outlook 2016 with Office 365: I have been running Exchange server 2010 on our network and recently subscribed to Office 365 online. I can access email ok on line through the Office 365 portal but cannot get Outlook 2016 on my PC to link with the online mail. Outlook 2016 on my PC (Windows 10, 64 bit...
  10. Outlook 2016 contacts

Outlook 2016 contacts: I am having a bit of a mare with outlook. I have my main POP3 email address plus a Hotmail acc (lesser used) setup in it. Obviously my POP3 is my main default acc I always use. But when I go to my contacts list (setup in business card display) it always defaults to my Hotmail...