Windows 10: Outlook 2016-Gmail not sending, password for SMTP, tried ports 465 587

Discus and support Outlook 2016-Gmail not sending, password for SMTP, tried ports 465 587 in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello, Thanks in advance for your time. I have 2 Gmails set up in Outlook 2016. My back-up Gmail is set up as an IMAP/SMTP account, and it's working... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by rlee123, Nov 1, 2020.

1. rlee123 Win User

Outlook 2016-Gmail not sending, password for SMTP, tried ports 465 587

Hello,

Thanks in advance for your time. I have 2 Gmails set up in Outlook 2016. My back-up Gmail is set up as an IMAP/SMTP account, and it's working fine (no jinx). My primary email is set up as POP/SMTP, and as of approximately 4 days ago, I can no longer send email from Outlook. The "Enter your user name and password for the following server" message keeps popping up for the smtp.gmail.com server. (In the past, when I've received this pop up, I've spent hours troubleshooting, and then 1 or 2 days later, the pop ups eventually cease on their own. I've assumed something was going on with Google, they resolved it, and my problem ceases.)

This time, I've tried port changes, and I can see on support forums that other people have had similar problems over the last few months. For the past several years, Outlook SMTP has been set to port 465 (SSL/TLS) with no problems. I have tried ports 25 and 587, but no luck.

I am able to receive email when I restart my Outlook. Upon restart, the "Enter your user name and password for the following server" message pops up once for the pop.gmail.com server, and when I hit "OK," Outlook accepts my password, and the error ceases. However, Outlook will NOT accept my password for the SMTP server.

In Google Security, "enable less secure apps" is ENABLED, and "two-step verification" is OFF.

Please let me know if you have tips. Thank you so much. My OS - Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1082)

:)

rlee123, Nov 1, 2020
  2. bro67 Win User

Office 365 outlook will not send message to gmail accounts but receive

Let Outlook set your gmail account up. Port 25 is no longer used. These are the correct settings (leave SMTP at Port 587/TLS).
    [table][tr]Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server imap.gmail.com Requires SSL: Yes Port: 993 [/tr] [tr][td]Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server[/td] [td]smtp.gmail.com Requires SSL: Yes Requires TLS: Yes (if available) Requires Authentication: Yes Port for SSL: 465 Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587[/td] [/tr] [/table]

bro67, Nov 1, 2020
  3. Program cannot send email using smtp, gmail and port 587 and TLS

Hi Ariel,

Thanks for your reply. Windows Update says my main PC (A Lenovo Thinkpad Y50-70 running Windows 10) is up-to-date as of 4.11 PM today. I am running Acronis True Image 2015, build 6613, which Acronis says is up-to-date. I first noticed this problem 2 days
    ago when I switched my email provider from sasktel to Gmail. Acronis had been using port 25 with no encryption to send email via sasktel for over a year, I switched it to use smtp.gmail.com using port 587 and TLS encryption (which is what Gmail recommends,
    as they no longer support SSL on port 465). When I try to test a test message to port 587, Acronis gives me a Network Error within a second or two. When I try it using port 465, it gives me a Mail Server Error after about 20 seconds. My interpretation of that
    is that when I specify port 587, the request doesn't even make it out of my home network. I have tried disabling my Norton Security firewall, and addeing a rule allowing 2-way traffic to smtp.gmail.com using any port. I have also tried disabling the firewall
    on my NAT router. I'm wondering if for some reason requests to port 587 are not even getting past Windows.

Doug Gillett, Nov 1, 2020
  4. Victek Win User

Gmail in Outlook 2013 receiving not sending

Try using Outgoing port 465. It's working for me in Outlook 2013 (Gmail/IMAP)

Victek, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Outlook 2016-Gmail not sending, password for SMTP, tried ports 465 587 - Similar Threads - Outlook 2016 Gmail

2. Gmail smtp not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Gmail smtp not working: We all use Gmail for our personal and professional work; it is one of the most advanced email services. Gmail is estimated to have around 1.5 billion users worldwide, which is very large. Now there are times when you run into some common problems when accessing Gmail. Issues...
  3. Outlook 2016 and [GMail] or [Google Mail] Folders

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2016 and [GMail] or [Google Mail] Folders: I am getting frustrated at trying to remove the [GMail] and [Google Mail] headers within Outlook 2016 which have bopthe appeared in the folder structure as you can see here. I have looked in the GMail Labels online through GMail Settings and I can see [GMail] but when I set...
  4. Send and receive error in Outlook 2016.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Send and receive error in Outlook 2016.: Windows 10 did an update in August and ever since then, I am getting error messages for sending and receiving e-mails in Outlook and anytime I try to do something, I have to enter my password. I have tried to reconfigure the e-mail, and set up a new account. but now it...
  5. outlook 2016 and gmail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    outlook 2016 and gmail: Am having issues with the combination of Gmail and Outlook 2016> When sending an email through Outlook, mails are send twice with the second mail as a 0B sized e-mail. Disabeling the "save sended e-mails" option in Outlook didnt work. Anyone who can help me with this?...
  6. configuring gmail with outlook 2016 on windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    configuring gmail with outlook 2016 on windows 10: I am struggling to configure outlook 2016 on windows 10 to be used with gmail. The error I am getting is following [ATTACH] I read following "since July 15, 2014, Google has strengthened the protection of accounts by blocking applications that use simple validation...
  7. change gmail password in outlook

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    change gmail password in outlook: I have changed my gmail password and no mail now downloading into outlook. When I go to account settings > change in windows 365 no password option appears...
  8. Gmail in Outlook 2013 receiving not sending

in Browsers and Email
    Gmail in Outlook 2013 receiving not sending: Hi All, Since upgrading to Win 10 last week, I have not been able to send emails from Gmail in Outlook 2013. It was fine in Win 8.1. My email settings are IMAP Outgoing server requires authentication - is ticked Incoming = 993 with SSL Outgoing = 587 with TLS...
  9. Outlook 2016 not sending e-mail

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016 not sending e-mail: Outlook 2016 has suddenly stopped sending out my e-mail, it keeps reporting the server responded 452.4.1.0 the requested action aborted. Try again later. I tried a lot of things yesterday even re-installing Office and nothing fixed this problem. I called my Internet Service...
  10. outlook 2016 password

in Browsers and Email
    outlook 2016 password: Hi, I forgot my old outlook 2016 password and would like to have access to my emails. How can I change the PW to accomplish this. I want to try this with someone who has done this successfully in the past. thx 78106