Windows 10: Outlook 2016 repeatedly ask for user name and password

Discus and support Outlook 2016 repeatedly ask for user name and password in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Office 2016 on Windows 10 build 1703. Outlook 2016 is repeatedly asking for my user name and password when running minimized. See screen shot.... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by JJG10, Jul 7, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

Outlook 2016 repeatedly ask for user name and password

Office 2016 on Windows 10 build 1703.

Outlook 2016 is repeatedly asking for my user name and password when running minimized. See screen shot.
    Things appear to work normally when running maximized. I used Outlook's Account Settings/Repair but that didn't help.

Please help.

Thank you.

Outlook 2016 repeatedly ask for user name and password [​IMG]

:)

JJG10, Jul 7, 2017
  2. EdMenzel Win User

Sign in user name error

My problem began when I set up an Outlook account. (I have selected the use Outlook account to sign in.) When I boot up the computer, I get an error message that says the user name or password is incorrect. The User Name displayed is my first name only.
    If l let the computer sit idle for about 5 minutes, the computer changes the User Name to my Outlook address and then asks for my password.

I want to login with my Outlook User Name but not wait 5 minutes to do so. How can I change something so that the computer brings up my Outlook User Name when it first boots up?

(It will let me enter an Outlook User Name & password immediately if I want. But I'd rather not go through the extra step of manually entering the Outlook User Name.)

EdMenzel, Jul 7, 2017
  3. Repeatedly asking for password

I changed my microsoft account from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. When I open some apps like cortana, Windows feedback and so on it keeps on asking for password. It accepts the password but keeps on asking. What's the remedy?

Naseeb Irshadullah, Jul 7, 2017
  4. Outlook 2016 repeatedly ask for user name and password

I have Outlook 2013 and I also have that same issue occasionally. It's all random and comes and goes by itself. Have never figured out why it is doing that.

stealth2920, Jul 8, 2017
  5. Sualdam Win User
    The OP's problem seems to be specific as described, but I get it transiently when the pop server is playing up either with my ISP or through the domain the specific email address is at.

A couple of years back, Virgin Media in the UK had an email server issue which they wouldn't initially accept, then wouldn't acknowledge, then took ages to deal with until I wrote to the CEO - at which point they told me they HAVE to handle it one on one and resolve it. That caused the message box to pop up repeatedly, but it did result in them fixing it.

I haven't noticed it with a minimised window myself.

Sualdam, Jul 8, 2017
  6. *Ditto I only ever see it when my ISP is doing server maintenance. I don't know whats happing with the OP though?

alphanumeric, Jul 8, 2017
  7. JJG10 Win User
    I should have mentioned all of my email accounts are POP if that makes any difference.

JJG10, Jul 9, 2017
  8. Outlook 2016 repeatedly ask for user name and password

Mine is POP also. I'm trying to imagine what would trigger that, but coming up empty? It just doesn't make sense that it should do that just because its minimized? I'm not saying its not happing, just that I'm baffled that it is.

alphanumeric, Jul 9, 2017
  9. JJG10 Win User
    Sorry alphanumeric but I didn't discover it also happens when Outlook in not minimized until yesterday. I created a new profile and thought the problem was solved for a while but it started again. Go figure!

JJG10, Jul 9, 2017
  10. Sualdam Win User
    I think you'll find then that it's not Outlook causing the problem.

Have you increased the timeout settings in the email account details?

Sualdam, Jul 9, 2017
  11. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you Sualdam.

I expect you are right about it not being an Outlook problem but I don't know what to do about it.

Exactly which settings are you referring to?

Thank you.

JJG10, Jul 9, 2017
  12. Sualdam Win User
    If you go to File >> Account Settings, then select the email account you are interested in and click Change, the settings dialog appears.

Click More Settings then select the Advanced tab.

Make sure the Server Timeout is set to long.

Also, it might be worth checking with your ISP that you have exactly the correct options set in this tab (and the account in general). I know from experience that Virgin Media in the UK fiddled with theirs at some point and the original settings didn't work so well, though they did still work after a fashion. One change they did involved having to use your full email address as your username in here instead of what had worked for the previous ten years without fault, and they also changed the ports and security settings (all of that is a little hazy as Virgin tech support is also hazy).

If your password/username is being rejected then it probably isn't a timeout issue.

Sualdam, Jul 9, 2017
  13. JJG10 Win User

Sualdam,

OK, I have it set to long for all accounts. We will see what happens.

JJG10, Jul 9, 2017
  14. JJG10 Win User
    Sauldam,

Unfortunately, it still happens.

JJG10, Jul 9, 2017
  15. Sualdam Win User
    Sualdam, Jul 9, 2017
Thema:

1. Outlook 2016 repeatedly ask for user name and password - Similar Threads - Outlook 2016 repeatedly

2. OUTLOOK always asks for user name and passwords after implementing AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN PC...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    OUTLOOK always asks for user name and passwords after implementing AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN PC...: Automatic Shutdown is implemented in PC's. After powering ON PC's each and every time its asks for user name and password in outlook. Before implementing this TASK SCHEDULAR every this was working fine....
  3. OUTLOOK always asks for user name and passwords after implementing AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN PC...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OUTLOOK always asks for user name and passwords after implementing AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN PC...: Automatic Shutdown is implemented in PC's. After powering ON PC's each and every time its asks for user name and password in outlook. Before implementing this TASK SCHEDULAR every this was working fine....
  4. OUTLOOK always asks for user name and passwords after implementing AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN PC...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Repeatedly asked for microsoft password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Repeatedly asked for microsoft password: Hi, Every few minutes a toast notification pops up declaring that i need to fix my microsoft account. Sometimes this on the OS level but also when i use Office products. Despite entering my password and it being fixed, it wilol not be long before breaking again....
  6. NAS drive keeps asking for user name and password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS drive keeps asking for user name and password: I restarted my router, and now my Synology NAS drive is asking for username and password. I can see the files on my TV and when I login to Plex online, but can't get to them in windows explorer. The user ID and password won't work....
  7. the server diseasons.xyz is asking for your user name and password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    the server diseasons.xyz is asking for your user name and password: the server diseasons.xyz is asking for your user name and password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/the-server-diseasonsxyz-is-asking-for-your-user/d59d204c-19b0-496e-844e-c58c29df618f
  8. Windows security asks user login and password for Outlook repeatedly

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Windows security asks user login and password for Outlook repeatedly: This problem has reached a critical point. I have spoken with several MS techs and gotten nowhere. I am hoping for a miracle that maybe someone here has seen this before and has an idea I have not yet tried. The User has a Surface Pro 4. Windows 10 Pro OS, Office 365 with...
  9. outlook 2016 password

in Browsers and Email
    outlook 2016 password: Hi, I forgot my old outlook 2016 password and would like to have access to my emails. How can I change the PW to accomplish this. I want to try this with someone who has done this successfully in the past. thx 78106
  10. Macrium Ask for User Name and Password

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Ask for User Name and Password: For whatever reason, Macrium free was corrupted and I had to totally uninstall and reinstall. I did a new backup and did a scheduled future backups. However it won't allow scheduled task unless I put in a user name and password. Never had this request before. Not sure what...