Windows 10: Outlook 365 inconsistent login behaviour with IMAP gmail

Discus and support Outlook 365 inconsistent login behaviour with IMAP gmail in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I am using Office 365 and several of my machines have switched to modern authentication for Gmail recently. A window popped up, asking me for my google... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by jacobacci, May 27, 2019.

1. jacobacci Win User

Outlook 365 inconsistent login behaviour with IMAP gmail

I am using Office 365 and several of my machines have switched to modern authentication for Gmail recently. A window popped up, asking me for my google login and password and I got the 2FA prompt on my phone correctly. So far everything works.
    One machine refuses to do so and insists on using basic authentication with a google app password. Is there something I need to do on this machine to enable modern authentication for IMAP gmail, or is it just a question of time until the machine does so on its own?
    Thanks a lot

:)

jacobacci, May 27, 2019
  2. malware Win User

Google Adds IMAP Support to GMail

GMail has gained IMAP support, one of the most requested features for Google's web-based e-mail service. If you log into your GMail account and head to "settings", the tab for "Forwarding and POP" should now read "Forwarding and POP/IMAP." If it doesn’t, be patient, Google will be rolling out the new IMAP features across the service over the next few days. With IMAP you can access your mail via your desktop client, read mail, make changes and have those changes mirrored by any other client accessing the account. If you access your mail from multiple machines, IMAP allows them all to stay in sync. To enable IMAP in GMail just head to the settings page and change your access from POP to IMAP.

Source: Wired News

malware, May 27, 2019
  3. SoFine409 Win User
    Outlook 2016 IMAP persists in failing to connect with Gmail

Did you know that you must have Google generate an application specific password to use in place of your regular password in Outlook on your PC? Ihey do that for security That's what I had to do to connect Outlook 2013 to my IMAP accounts. I've never had a problem. Did you also login to your Gmail account and in settings disable POP and enable IMAP?

SoFine409, May 27, 2019
  4. Munki Win User

GUIDE:How to transfer contacts from Microsoft Outlook to Gmail

I'm sitting here in the office, its the end of the year in the school system, and several employees transferring to alternative counties. With this it brings loads of transferring contacts to take with them from their company phone. Well, this one in particular sparked a guide idea. So here it is, How to transfer Outlook contacts to your Gmail account.

Step 1: Sign in to your outlook account.
    step 2 In the top left hand corner click File > Import/Export > Export to file > Browse to desired place to save your file > export. Be sure you export the file as .csv (comma separated values)
    Step 3 Log into your Gmail account
    Step 4 Select 'Contacts' In the subsection you will see a 'Import' button on the right-hand side. Click it.
    Step 5 Browse to the location where you saved it > Open it > Click Import.

I would have provided pictures, but I use neither Outlook or Gmail. Hope someone somewhere gets some use from this. *Toast :toast:

=Munki=

Munki, May 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Outlook 365 inconsistent login behaviour with IMAP gmail - Similar Threads - Outlook 365 inconsistent

2. Sync issues with Outlook 365 Calendar and Gmail using Ical

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sync issues with Outlook 365 Calendar and Gmail using Ical: I have copied and pasted the Ical URL into Outlook calendar on the “internet calendars” tab; howeveri get an error message when i click send/recieve. This function was working up until about a month ago....
  3. Office 365 outlook will not send message to gmail accounts but receive

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365 outlook will not send message to gmail accounts but receive: Since updating to Windows 10 my Office 365 Outlook will not send emails - error unable to connect to network - yet it receives them OK and if I go to account settings and use 'Test' it sends and receives OK this is true of all my accounts, Hotmail, gmail and two domain...
  4. Outlook 365 hangs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Outlook 365 hangs: Hangs while typing a message (new or reply). Cursor freezes. Only way to get out of it is boot the computer. Do not have a large nickname cache. Do have a lot of folders. I am an average email user and I experience this about once or twice a week. This does not happen...
  5. Outlook 2016 / 365 IMAP query on empty trash folder

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016 / 365 IMAP query on empty trash folder: Hi folks I have 3 different machines currently with outlook 2016 -- mail is set up as IMAP Send / receive from any machine is visible on all the other ones (that's correct) and on mobile phone. However if I delete emails they get moved (correctly) to the trash folder....
  6. Bug Outlook 2016 / 365 IMAP - missing mail in Inbox - Fixed

in Browsers and Email
    Bug Outlook 2016 / 365 IMAP - missing mail in Inbox - Fixed: Hi folks sometimes you get when using IMAP missing mail on some accounts in the Inbox if you have several accounts in Outlook 2016/365. The mail can be seen in the Inbox on other devices say phones etc. Bug doesn't appear I'm told on GMAIL but can when you use ISP mail...
  7. Outlook 2016 IMAP persists in failing to connect with Gmail

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016 IMAP persists in failing to connect with Gmail: I have a Gmail account. I keep failing for a month now (except for a fleeting few days) to connect Outlook 2016 via IMAP to Gmail. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 2 two months ago. I had Office 2007. POP email kept working fine. However, a month ago, the perplexing...
  8. Microsoft Outlook IMAP settings

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Outlook IMAP settings: Hi I am using Microsoft Outlook 2007 as my mail client with IMAP. My setup is working correctly but I have a question regarding the display of the IMAP folder hierarchy in the left hand column under All Mail Items. Somehow, possibly due to a previous error in deleting a...
  9. Odd behaviour accessing IMAP email after WIn 10 upgrade

in Browsers and Email
    Odd behaviour accessing IMAP email after WIn 10 upgrade: Hi, New member here, so apologies if this has been discussed and I have missed it! I have a small number of win 10 machines (all upgraded from Win 7 Pro), which are having problems with IMAP email. The email client in use is mainly Thunderbird, however I am seeing the...
  10. Office 365 unacceptable behaviour

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365 unacceptable behaviour: I have Win10 Home machine on which I recently installed Office 2010. I like this version of Office because it is "buy once, use forewer" license. For unknown reason, probably during some of the Win updates, there appeared set of Office 365 installs after couple of weeks,...