Windows 10: Outlook: can't view newer messages

Discus and support Outlook: can't view newer messages in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; My wife updated her Outlook and now she can't see newer unread messages in her POP3 account inbox. If I send a test email, I can search and sure... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by 3DPiper, Jul 2, 2017.

1. 3DPiper Win User

Outlook: can't view newer messages

My wife updated her Outlook and now she can't see newer unread messages in her POP3 account inbox.
    If I send a test email, I can search and sure enough the email is there. But when we get out of search and just go back to her inbox the newest email is about a week old. She is set to view all by date, so I'm not sure why these emails aren't showing up.
    ?

:)

3DPiper, Jul 2, 2017
  2. hockster Win User

Cannot receive Outlook email but able to send after installing custom security certificate

Hi,

I just imported the custom security cert for my outlook account and tried syncing. I wasn't able to receive any email or even view my email. All it shows is "Syncing..." and "Downloading messages. This might take a few minutes...". Nothing happens after
    that. Weird thing is if I tap "Folders", it will show the folders I have created in Outlook 2007 but I can't view the contents at all.

Weirder is that I can send email but can't do anything else Outlook: can't view newer messages :(

Any ideas? Grrr....

hockster, Jul 2, 2017
  3. 6280 - Synchro PB with Notes (Outlook)

I have got this problem solved.

In short, I created a new PST file in Outlook 2003 and selected the (apparently) new format called "Personal Folders File". That is, not the format that is compatible with older Outlook named (97-2002) at the end.

I don't know if the solution was the newer format or just that I created a new file. I got triggered by other problem reports and a solution in Microsoft Knowledge Data Base that instructed to create a new file.

Details here if you need it:

/discussions/board/message?board.id=pcsuite&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=27766#M27766

jangb---01, Jul 2, 2017
  4. Outlook: can't view newer messages

Hi 3DPiper

If you could expand on your wife updated Outlook. Did she or did the system provide Office updates or did she go from Outlook 2013 to 2016 (or some other flavours)?

You might try clicking on the View tab. In the very left of ribbon is View settings. Maybe reset the view.

Any chance "Conversation" mode is enabled? (Right beside view settings in Ribbon.)

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 2, 2017
  5. 3DPiper Win User
    She said she was notified of an office update and clicked it.

I checked the View tab: conversations is not checked, and the view settings does not have anything under 'filter'.
    I also reset the view and that did not fix it.

The newest email she can view in her inbox is from 6-5-17. But if I do a search for the email I sent several days ago, it shows up in the search..
    This is crazy!

3DPiper, Jul 5, 2017
  6. When you search are you searching "Current Mailbox" or "All mailboxes"?

If you do search in All Mailboxes what folder are they being found in? (You should be able to see what folder in the "In Folder" column.

Caledon Ken, Jul 5, 2017
  7. 3DPiper Win User
    If I search in 'current mailbox' it finds my missing email.
    If I search in 'folder' (Inbox), it does NOT find my missing email.
    Where could the emails be going? The last email she got in her inbox is from 6-5, over a month ago!
    Edit: actually, the Inbox shows there are 135 unread messages, but we just can't view them

3DPiper, Jul 9, 2017
  8. 3DPiper Win User

Update: Ok, if I am on the Inbox and select 'This Week' under Home/Filer Email, I CAN see this week's email.
    But if we go through and delete or move emails to the folders they need to go in, we still can't see them. Even if we mark them unread. In fact, we filtered last months emails and deleted a ton of them, but we can't empty the trash folder because it shows up as no emails are there. But if I go back and filter from last month, I can see the deleted emails and if I hover the mouse over the emails the tool-tip pop-up says 'in folder trash'..
    I did run ScanPST.EXE on the file and it DID say there were errors that it fixed. But we still can't see new emails unless we filter for them.

3DPiper, Jul 9, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    Hi there, 3DPiper. Sounds to me like the update did not install correctly. If this is Outlook desktop app which is part of the Office suite, you may want to try opening Settings app (Windows key + I) > Choose Apps > Scroll down to Microsoft Office > Right click > Choose Modify > Choose Quick repair. If that doesn't fix it, try the Online repair.

Hope that helps.

Tony K, Jul 9, 2017
  10. I'm going to suggest that you post at slipstick.com. Diane and those folks live Outlook.

This sounds like a filter or view. You said you reset view.

Never want to give up but Outlook can be a beast. Best to use a forum that deals with a specific subject. I would provide info on update and the info from post 5 and 6.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 9, 2017
  11. 3DPiper Win User
    Thanks guys, I tried repairing it and that did not change anything. That was a great suggestion, as she may have started the update and then just closed the lid.
    I will post at the other site, thank you!

3DPiper, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Outlook: can't view newer messages - Similar Threads - Outlook can't view

2. Trouble viewing email messages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble viewing email messages: My MSN inbox is empty when I have to go through Microsoft 365. However, on my phone I can still see my email messages. What is going on? Is it possible to have two MSN email accounts with the same login credentials but different 365 accounts? how do I fix this?...
  3. Trouble viewing email messages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble viewing email messages: My MSN inbox is empty when I have to go through Microsoft 365. However, on my phone I can still see my email messages. What is going on? Is it possible to have two MSN email accounts with the same login credentials but different 365 accounts? how do I fix this?...
  4. Outlook Client can't send gmail messages from @outlook

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook Client can't send gmail messages from @outlook: This is kind of confusing to explain, and because of that I can't find anything online about it. Years ago I forwarded my gmail account to an outlook account and then I could set the @gmail.com address as the default "from" email address when using outlook, both online and...
  5. Can't open searched Outlook messages

in Cortana
    Can't open searched Outlook messages: Win 10 Office 2016 - when I search a content which appears in emails initially i see a message "No items match your search". However, when I click "See more results" I do get the full list of messages containing the searched items, however clicking on the message itself does...
  6. Unread Messages in Outlook

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unread Messages in Outlook: When I open my Office Outlook all of my messages show as already read. It only started this about a month ago. I have changed the settings numerous times just as the instructions say, but it just goes right back to showing all messages read. I want my unread messages to...
  7. Outlook Folder View - Rearrange

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook Folder View - Rearrange: Folder view used to display public folder at the top of the window, this is no longer an option unless your in calendar view or shut of the coming soon (toggle). Now the calendar is not able to be sorted and arranged at the top of the window as I could a few weeks ago....
  8. Outlook - unsolicited messages

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook - unsolicited messages: Hello, I started the process of changing from Yahoo to Hotmail. I had a mostly unused hotmail address and tried it in Outlook. Decided that I prefer Thunderbird. Deleted all accounts from Outlook and set it up in Thunderbird. Today I received an Microsoft Outlook Calendar...
  9. message from outlook

in Browsers and Email
    message from outlook: Hello everyone I have been having a few problems with my laptop computer so I have reset it. I am now getting this message that keeps appearing (see attached) How do I get rid of this, can anyone please help. Regards [img] 91953
  10. Annoying message- Outlook

in Browsers and Email
    Annoying message- Outlook: Hi I was wondering if anyone could assist me in getting rid of this annoying pop up from (purportedly) Outlook? You can see in the attached .jpg the pop up, and every time you click "OK" it simply pops up again. The password is correct and I know this because I am still able...