Windows 10: Outlook error when moving msg

Discus and support Outlook error when moving msg in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello, I've just installed Office 365 on my brand new Lenovo laptop (Win 10 ver 1909). I have 5 Gmail accounts set up. When I try to file a message in... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by 3point1, Jul 16, 2020.

1. 3point1 Win User

Outlook error when moving msg

Hello,

I've just installed Office 365 on my brand new Lenovo laptop (Win 10 ver 1909). I have 5 Gmail accounts set up. When I try to file a message in a pre-existing folder I get an error that the message can't be moved because it's been changed (not!). The first time this happened, I went the long way 'round and right clicked and selected move that way. But now it won't even let me do that. I need to resolve this or abandon Outlook, as I have a bazillion emails that need to be organized. Can someone help me?

:)

3point1, Jul 16, 2020
  2. Sigurd Win User

Opening a .MSG file created by Outlook 365

Because the apps I had tried and the one I had installed, appeared on the list of possible Apps in the list for opening MSG files, I thought that repairing Outlook might work. So I tried the repair option as Sheltieuk had suggested. When I then tried Start – Defaults afterwards and looked to see what was available to open MSG files, Outlook had appeared on the list! Selected that and it worked.

For once I have posed not only a question but an answer!!

Sigurd, Jul 16, 2020
  3. Sigurd Win User
    Opening a .MSG file created by Outlook 365

MS have clearly changed something because mine includes in the options the two methods I tried initially.
    I ma trying to remember the steps - (I think) I tried to open the *.msg by double clicking it in File Finder and was asked what app to use. Selected Notepad without success. Tried again with Outlook (so it gave me two goes). I then installed File Viewer and that has become an option along with Notepad. So we get different results.
    The work around suggested in the web page I linked to above doesn't help - takes me to the same place as Start - Defaults

I haven't tried a repair of Outlook. Seems a bit unlikely but maybe worth a try. It may be worth trying to do what I am trying to do with .msg files with some obscure file ending I never use.

Sigurd, Jul 16, 2020
  4. John Fue Win User

Incorrect file extension when moving email

We suggest to follow this steps to check the settings of your PC

• Click on Start key.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Open System.
    • On the left pane, select Default apps.
    • Select Choose default apps by file type.
    • Look for .msg (Outlook item).
    • Choose Outlook 2016 as the default app
    Let us know how it goes.

John Fue, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Outlook error when moving msg - Similar Threads - Outlook error moving

2. Hyperlinks no longer working in Outlook 2013 - organizational policies error msg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyperlinks no longer working in Outlook 2013 - organizational policies error msg: All of a sudden I am receiving an error when trying to open a hyperlink in Outlook 2013. "Your organization's policies are preventing us from opening the link. Contact your help desk." I am a retired lady no longer associated with my company. Have been using Office 2013 for...
  3. Hyperlinks no longer working in Outlook 2013 - organizational policies error msg

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyperlinks no longer working in Outlook 2013 - organizational policies error msg: All of a sudden I am receiving an error when trying to open a hyperlink in Outlook 2013. "Your organization's policies are preventing us from opening the link. Contact your help desk." I am a retired lady no longer associated with my company. Have been using Office 2013 for...
  4. Hyperlinks no longer working in Outlook 2013 - organizational policies error msg

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  5. error msg in upgradation to window11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error msg in upgradation to window11: My laptop HP14 bs701tu has processor i3 6th gen @ 2.00GHz with 4GB RAM. It has TPM 2.0 and UEFI with secure boot enabled. Even after meeting all requrements I am getting error message that Windows11 won't run in your PC.Plz help me out.THANK YOU!...
  6. Unknown error msg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown error msg: Dear All,Need your assistance here, refer to attached, I kept getting this message when I on the computer, cannot even install "adobe acrobat reader DC"Can you help please? Thank you very much...
  7. Unknown error msg

Unknown error msg: Dear All,Need your assistance here, refer to attached, I kept getting this message when I on the computer, cannot even install "adobe acrobat reader DC"Can you help please? Thank you very much...
  8. Unknown error msg

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Error msg.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Error msg.: Had error msg. that my home computer was invaded accompanied by a terrible beeping sound. Requested I call a support number 855-523-5682. Is this a legitimate error or scam? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-msg/88f7afd0-ef57-4e29-8a7c-aa5a0a1ca6d1"
  10. Opening a .MSG file created by Outlook 365

Opening a .MSG file created by Outlook 365: I saved a number of email using Outlook 365 File - Save as function. I now can't open the .MSG file. Outlook can't open it and Googling for an answer I find File Viewer Plus in the Microsoft store but it won't open it either unless I pay for the upgrade! I don't usually...