Windows 10: Outlook/Exchange blocked by ISP when tethered to phone reality check

Discus and support Outlook/Exchange blocked by ISP when tethered to phone reality check in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Well, apparently my cell phone provider partially blocks access to Microsoft Exchange when you are accessing the internet while tethered to your phone.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IT for Fun, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Outlook/Exchange blocked by ISP when tethered to phone reality check

Well, apparently my cell phone provider partially blocks access to Microsoft Exchange when you are accessing the internet while tethered to your phone. I would be curious to hear of other people’s experience with this. Here is the scenario.

Running Windows 10 and Outlook 2016. Configured a Hotmail account to use Outlook 2016. Works flawlessly when on home internet, whether hard-wired or wireless. Works flawlessly when on another home internet connection at a neighbor’s house. So now, on the same machine I connect to the internet via my cell phone’s wireless hotspot feature. The SSID appears on the computer and I select that to connect. No other internet connection is present. What happens is that Outlook keeps asking me for my password over and over again. Obviously I put in the right password but it just keeps prompting me. It will not connect to Hotmail. Now, with that same connection, I connect to a VPN service that I subscribe to. Just to be on the safe side, I do a “ipconfig /flush dns”. Outlook does prompt me once, but when I put in the right password, it connects to Hotmail just fine. Reboot computer. Connect to the internet NOT using the tethering feature of the phone. Outlook connects to Hotmail just fine. I try tethering to my phone and disabling all other connections and get the same prompting for password over and over again and it never connects to Hotmail. Again, if I connect to my VPN service I have to put in the password ONE TIME and then it works fine after that. It is totally repeatable. I have done nothing with Outlook profiles on the machine. Same profile. Also I have done nothing with any settings in the Mail Profile or in Outlook. Everything is consistent there. Apparently the wireless phone provider does not allow connection directly to Exchange with you are using tethering, unless you are using VPN over tethering which is different. Any comments or insights on this and have you seen it with your cell phone provider?

Moved from: Email / Connecting to Outlook.com with apps and devices

:)

IT for Fun, Aug 13, 2020
  2. geno368 Win User

Outlook not connected in Microsoft Exchange Server

I am new to Exchange Server 2003 and I have a friend with a network server that I don't know how to re-establish a user to the network. I moved one of his non used computers to this station and now when I try to log in the user I get the error that the name can't be verified because Outlook is not connected or online. This computer used to be online with a different user. Can anyone tell me the steps to check this? Thanks.

geno368, Aug 13, 2020
  3. 3DPiper Win User
    Exchange settings from phone to computer

My wife works at an elementary school and the IT guy set up her phone (a Lumia 640) with an Exchange email account so she could check her school email. She has full outlook on her PC, how can I take the settings from her phone and set up an exchange account under outlook? I tried to add an account and put in her email address and password, but it was not able to set it up.

3DPiper, Aug 13, 2020
  4. WBFAir Win User

Outlook/Exchange blocked by ISP when tethered to phone reality check

Sync other Outlook contact folders via Exchange to smartphone?

Hello all

I just got done installing 2016 to my PC to which I used to have 2010 and via using the MS Exchange account this all works from with my company, when I was using 2010 I somehow was able to get other Contact folders I had created besides just the primary one to show their contacts on my company cell phones contact list. Which for that I am using a Note 5 with all the latest updates.

Basically in my Outlook program I keep certain contacts in other folders other then the main one so I can keep track of them better when working with things.

So while I got those all back with the PC version as I can now connect back up to the companies exchange server, the new Outlook account on the phone (as I cannot use the old default phone email account) does not seem to be picking them up when synced as the only one it with pull anything from is the main contacts folder.

Note, in the phones options for this Outlook account it does have a check box that reads "All Contacts", and it is checked. Also I have tried the checkbox in the folders properties for allowing it to be shown as a "Outlook Address Book", but that has not made a difference.

So I don't know if this is a limitation of the Outlook account on the phone, or is there some option in the new version of 2016 Outlook on my PC that I have to check so these folders can be synced?

Thank for any help

WBFAir, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

Outlook/Exchange blocked by ISP when tethered to phone reality check

1. Outlook/Exchange blocked by ISP when tethered to phone reality check - Similar Threads - Outlook Exchange blocked

2. Outlook 2007 exchange admin has blocked the version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook 2007 exchange admin has blocked the version: This morning Outlook stopped working with the message 'Your MS Exchange administrator has blocked the version of Outlook that you are using. Contact your administrator for assistance' I have read a few articles but its not clear, is there a simple fix or do i need to...
  3. Outlook 2007 exchange admin has blocked the version

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook 2007 exchange admin has blocked the version: This morning Outlook stopped working with the message 'Your MS Exchange administrator has blocked the version of Outlook that you are using. Contact your administrator for assistance' I have read a few articles but its not clear, is there a simple fix or do i need to...
  4. Outlook 2007 exchange admin has blocked the version

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. outlook cannot connect to the exchange server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    outlook cannot connect to the exchange server: I have inserted the code from microsoft but still can't get access. Flew from Cayman to Boston today. Should I not travel? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-cannot-connect-to-the-exchange-server/380af18c-8eba-498d-a25a-a22f64e0f645
  6. outlook 2010 remove microft exchange

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    outlook 2010 remove microft exchange: deleted microsoft 2010 and reloaded micorsoft exchange will not uninstall. Tired all methods do not work. Ask to setup exchange to erase file. can not do that either. How do I remove it?...
  7. Outlook not finding Exchange???

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook not finding Exchange???: I have a clean install on build 9879. While making this computer ready to use I installed Office 2010. When I went to setup my regular Microsoft Exchange cloud hosted account in Outlook it could not find the server. It would not find it with SSL or without. I tried a...
  8. Outlook 2016 with Exchange/Domains

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016 with Exchange/Domains: I'm not sure if a recent update to Outlook 2016 (I subscribe to Office 365) introduced this or not... Recently, I'm frequently prompted for my password for an email where I'm an independent contractor. If I set the account up as new, it goes through fine. Periodically...
  9. Outlook 2016 not talking to Exchange 2010

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2016 not talking to Exchange 2010: Hi There, I'm trying to configure Outlook 2016 on Windows 10, connected to a local network. However if I auto set up Outlook it doesn't go through and comes up with ''the Microsoft exchange information service in your profile is missing required information. Modify your...
  10. Deprecating support for SmartScreen in Outlook and Exchange

in Windows 10 News
    Deprecating support for SmartScreen in Outlook and Exchange: What are we announcing? On November 1, 2016, Microsoft will stop generating updates for the SmartScreen spam filters in Exchange Server 2016 and earlier (2013, 2010, 2007), Outlook 2016 for Windows and earlier (2013, 2010, 2007) and Outlook 2011 for Mac. The SmartScreen...