Windows 10: Outlook Hotmail Connector 2010 not working after outlook.com upgrade

Discus and support Outlook Hotmail Connector 2010 not working after outlook.com upgrade in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have the outlook Hotmail connector installed on my work machine (On outlook 2010), and I also have outlook 2016 (which connects to outlook.com... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by scoob101, Nov 1, 2016.

1. scoob101 Win User

Outlook Hotmail Connector 2010 not working after outlook.com upgrade

I have the outlook Hotmail connector installed on my work machine (On outlook 2010), and I also have outlook 2016 (which connects to outlook.com natively) on my home machine.

Both have stopped playing nice with outlook.com in different ways::

outlook 2010 simply wont connect with outlook.com at all -
    Outlook 2016 shows my email and calendar from outlook.com but will no longer show my wife's shared calendar.

Both of these installations were working perfectly with no issues prior to the recent outlook.com upgrade.

Has anyone else experiences issues like this?

:)

scoob101, Nov 1, 2016

2. Tasks do not Syncronisze over outlook.com

If you are using Outlook 2010 then you are also using the Outlook Hotmail Connector Addin to sync your Contacts and Appointment between Outlook 2010 and your Outlook.com account. Unfortunately the Outlook Hotmail Connector does not sync tasks.

If you upgrade to Outlook 2013, you won't use the Outlook Hotmail Connector Addin any more. Outlook 2013 incorporates a similar syncing functionality as the Outlook Hotmail Connector into it and includes Tasks in its syncing functionality. In Outlook 2013 you'll
    set up an account to sync Contacts, Appointments AND Tasks to your Outlook.com account.

Julie fka profjulie, Nov 1, 2016
  3. How do I sync my desktop/laptop Outlook contacts and calendar with my Windows phone

1. Install the Outlook Hotmail Connector to your computer. The Outlook Hotmail Connector is used to sync your Outlook related data (Contacts & Appointments) to a Windows Live/Outlook.com account

2. After this data is synced to your Windows Live/Outlook.com account, you'll be able to sync this data to your phone by setting up the windows live account on your phone.

See this article to learn where you can download the Outlook Hotmail Connector and how you can set up Outlook and the Outlook Hotmail Connector.

Julie fka profjulie, Nov 1, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

ARC1020, Nov 1, 2016
  5. scoob101 Win User
    Thanks for the reply, but the solution you link to doesn't work for me. Issue seems to be that I already removed the outlook connector and my Hotmail account details a few times trying to fix this some days ago, and now I cant re-add the account without being forced down the Hotmail connector route. .

I`ve tried adding the outlook.com account as a standard exchange account and outlook 2010 refuses - it tries to force me to download the Hotmail connector, which of course doesn't work any more!

Do we know if the Outlook 2010 client actually supports adding a migrated Hotmail/outlook.com account from scratch? Your link shows instructions only for migrating an account already successfully set up in outlook 2010 - so I appear to be stuck.

scoob101, Nov 1, 2016
  6. ARC1020 Win User
    If you go to Windows Settings App > Update and Security > Advanced Options, is 'Give me updates for other Microsoft Products when I update Windows' ticked and Windows Updates all up-to-date?

There was an update to Outlook 2010 a while back that should allow it to connect to the new Outlook.com without the Hotmail Connector. Is your Outlook on version 14.0.7143.5000 or later as per the following page:

Add your Outlook.com account to Outlook 2010 - Office Support

ARC1020, Nov 1, 2016
  7. scoob101 Win User
    Really interesting - My Outlook 2010 client is at version 14.0.7165.5000 - which would appear to be a later version which should be supported.
    But the behaviour of the client when you add the new account seems to match the "old" behaviour - in that its still pointing me to download the outlook connector at the point of adding in the account details.

I don't have the luxury of re-applying patches to outlook or re-installing the client, so I will get this up using the unsupported client route, and lose calendar/contacts access.

Many thanks again for your help and support here!

scoob101, Nov 2, 2016
  8. ottoke Win User

I realize this might be a bit late but you don't happen to have a windows phone ?

You don't realize it but when you configure a login pin code for your windows phone you actually come to enable two-step authentication for you microsoft account after which old applications that don't support that will stop accepting your normal password for login when you set up the account.

Outlook 2010 is one of those applications.

Once two-step is enabled you instead need to create application passwords for each old application via you microsoft account page (Security --> App passwords --> create new app password ) and use that password in the application.

The phone actually tries to communicate this to you via some vague statement when you put a pin code on it but nobody pays too much attention to the small dialog box on the phone and definitely wont be able to remember it months later when their outlook account get migrated and they have to re-enter their credentials into outlook.

-otto

ottoke, Feb 14, 2017
  9. Rovarn Win User
    This problem occured this week om one of my clients computer, the solution was:

Uninstall Outlook connector
    Repair Office (Add/remove program - Office 2010 - Repair)
    Restart computer and Outlook works fine with Outlook.com

Rovarn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Outlook Hotmail Connector 2010 not working after outlook.com upgrade - Similar Threads - Outlook Hotmail Connector

2. outlook hotmail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    outlook hotmail: why do i have 2 inbox 2 sent 2 draft etc is there a way to fix this in my hotmail ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-hotmail/95c41955-1ac5-4668-a794-e242b9a7613c
  3. hotmail and Outlook

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    hotmail and Outlook: all my incoming mails from hotmail.com are going directly to trash. the same happens with my hotmail account set up in Outlook. thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hotmail-and-outlook/d10b9d79-e209-493a-9cfd-f49f7e4cc08a"
  4. Opening Outlook 2010

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening Outlook 2010: when I open outlook 2010 in windows 10 the install starts (already installed) it asks for a disk with mscomctfix on it, can't find it, so I cancel the process and it closes then open outlook anyway. Usually starts after a windows update. Tried to repair office 10 with the...
  5. Outlook 2010

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2010: Hello All, I have just installed outlook 2010 on a new computer but I only get the last 3 days of emails can I change this ? 137380
  6. Hotmail/Outlook

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hotmail/Outlook: I have Windows 10 and use Outlook as my email. Before Outlook I had a Hotmail email address and updated to Outlook when Microsoft said that Hotmail will no longer be used. I have been getting unwanted e-mails from my old Hotmail address. Is there any way I can delete my...
  7. Windows 10 upgrade... Outlook 2010 not working.

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 upgrade... Outlook 2010 not working.: Upgraded to Windows 10 overnight. Everything seemed ok this morning until I tried to open my outlook. I get the error "Cannot open your default email folders. Access denied!" I did notice that on my desktop my folder now has my "first" and "last" name instead of just the...
  8. Outlook & Hotmail

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook & Hotmail: Outlook Mail that I send to Hotmail.com is rejected. Any ideas Thanks 77094
  9. @hotmail or @outlook?

in Browsers and Email
    @hotmail or @outlook?: I have had a hotmail address for a very long time, does it make a difference if I use @Hotmail or @Outlook? 69931
  10. Outlook 2010

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2010: My Outlook 2010 has developed a problem. Every time I load it after a few seconds it says Outlook has stopped working. I have uninstalled Office 2010 rebooted and reinstalled but it is still happening. Any help appreciated. 84659

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do I really need hotmail connector now office 2010

2. upgrade outlook connector not working