Windows 10: Outlook New E-mail Icon doesn't show in Systray (Notification Area)

Discus and support Outlook New E-mail Icon doesn't show in Systray (Notification Area) in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Yes, PC is maintained by the company IT department, but I don't really trust them to figure out "The new E-mail icon is not showing in Win10 and Office... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by TigerHeli, Sep 17, 2017.

1. TigerHeli Win User

Outlook New E-mail Icon doesn't show in Systray (Notification Area)

Yes, PC is maintained by the company IT department, but I don't really trust them to figure out "The new E-mail icon is not showing in Win10 and Office 365." I did mention it when asking about a different issue and nobody has gotten back to me yet.

WinKey/L didn't work - just went to the lock screen, but under Accounts for "Your Info" it shows the company network name and my login ID, and under "Email & app accounts" it just shows "Add an Account".

TigerHeli, Sep 19, 2017
  2. Tony K Win User

Sorry, but posted WinKey/I (eye). *Wink *Smile

Not sure, but I would guess you should ask them about adding an email account? I'd imagine they do a lot via Group Policy.

Yes, so far as my experience the envelope icon is only in the systray when Outlook is opened. I then get notifications via the box that opens along with the sound. I get email notifications via the Action Center whether Outlook is opened or not, which by the way, may be a part of Cortana. Cortana is the program that communicates with the server so far as an MS account goes. It "digitally assists". That may be why you're not getting email notifications. Did that start when you hid it or hid the Action Center?

Tony K, Sep 19, 2017
  3. TigerHeli Win User
    It's not a Cortana or Action Center Issue.

I don't think it is an E-mail account option issue either.

As I said previously, I installed Win 10 (actually they did) some time ago, and I downloaded and installed Office on 1-Sep. Everything was working fine on 14-Sep and nothing has worked notification-wise since 18-September.

I had the Action Center hidden since a few days after I got Win10 and still got notifications before and after installing Office 365, so I don't think that was related.

And yes - lots of things are done through Group Policy and or locked out.

TigerHeli, Sep 19, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

We got our last cumulative updates on the 13th. Don't know when your company installs them. Perhaps later? That may be what broke things for you. As much as I see you dislike to, I would advise to speak with your IT department. Your hands are pretty much tied to what they do.

Tony K, Sep 19, 2017
  5. TigerHeli Win User
    I suspect you are correct on the updates.

I posted that there was a cum update for Win 10 on the 14th and that I am seeing sucessfully installed Office 2010 32-bit updates on the same day (which seems weird since I am running Office 2016 64-Bit, but ...)

I will try to take it up with our IT - they are unavailable until tomorrow due to Hurricane Maria.

It isn't so much that I dislike to as that it usually takes them a long time for find a solution, unless it is something that is being widely reported ...

TigerHeli, Sep 19, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Ok. I hope we've helped you some to at least point you in the right direction. Sorry to hear of the hurricane. My daughter and hers got lucky in FL with Irma.

Good luck to you and please report back with your solution? I'm sure all would like to know it. Take care. *Smile

Tony K, Sep 19, 2017
  7. TigerHeli Win User
    The hurricane isn't affecting me, but apparently some of IT support is located near there.

I found one other thing that didn't help, but to rule out options: Not getting New Email Alerts on Windows 10 - MSOutlook.info.

I searched for No Email notification as opposed to No Systray notification.

I said earlier under Settings:System:Notifications and Alerts, I have Outlook 2016 On, but I found out I could click on the Outlook 2016 Icon in the list and there was an option for Play a Sound when a Notification Arrives, which was OFF, but I switched it to ON and I still don't get sounds when a new E-mail shows up.

Keep the ideas flowing and I'll let you know if I find a solution!!!

TigerHeli, Sep 19, 2017
  8. TigerHeli Win User

This is resolved. I called IT Support yesterday (after 3 days) and she said "You know, I don't think I've gotten notifications either lately ..."

But ...

I had previously disabled cached mode for E-mail to try to fix an error with searching .pst files. Another support tech said cached mode was actually recommended, so I re-enabled it. Once I re-enabled it and re-started Outlook, it said "preparing for first use", but then my notifications started working again.

I'm not sure if they stopped working b/c of the security updates or if disabling cached mode caused the problem. I somewhat suspect it is just that switching on and off cached mode cleared some memory setting or registry value, but at least the issue is resolved.

TigerHeli, Sep 20, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    Sounds like it was turning on cache mode did it. Glad you got it fixed. *Smile

Tony K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Outlook New E-mail Icon doesn't show in Systray (Notification Area) - Similar Threads - Outlook mail Icon

2. does Event Viewer show when icons appear in the Notifications Area systray?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does Event Viewer show when icons appear in the Notifications Area systray?: Hi, i don't see a Task Manager > Services or Startup entry for icons that automatically appear in the Windows 10 Notifications Area icons -- sometime shortly after the computer restarts and the user logs in.I'm a newbie to Event Viewer.Have searched using multiple SE's and...
  3. does Event Viewer show when icons appear in the Notifications Area systray?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does Event Viewer show when icons appear in the Notifications Area systray?: Hi, i don't see a Task Manager > Services or Startup entry for icons that automatically appear in the Windows 10 Notifications Area icons -- sometime shortly after the computer restarts and the user logs in.I'm a newbie to Event Viewer.Have searched using multiple SE's and...
  4. does Event Viewer show when icons appear in the Notifications Area systray?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Outlook e-mails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outlook e-mails: My e-mails will not download from AOL into my Outlook. Also, I am having an issue with attachments to my e-mails in Outlook. When I click on the attachment, I get the following error message: Your organization's polices are preventing us from completing this action for you....
  6. Outlook e-mails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook e-mails: My e-mails will not download from AOL into my Outlook. Also, I am having an issue with attachments to my e-mails in Outlook. When I click on the attachment, I get the following error message: Your organization's polices are preventing us from completing this action for you....
  7. outlook envelope icon not showing notifications

outlook envelope icon not showing notifications: My outlook envelope icon is in the taskbar but it stopped showing notifications, such as a "one" over it when I have a new email.How do I fix the notification problem. As I said the icon is there. Thanks...
  8. E mail notifications

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    E mail notifications: I keep getting e mails saying its from Mail service that my account will be deactivated fron incoming mail if i dont verify? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/e-mail-notifications/55354a3b-292b-4d4e-9542-5c867ea7abe2
  9. Notification Area Icons - not showing any icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification Area Icons - not showing any icons: [img] [img] [img] I tried some .bat files from this forum, but nothing changed Windows 10 version: 190318 Please help me to solve this...thanks 151929
  10. e-mail notifications

e-mail notifications: I have enabled e-mail notifications on my Windows 10 computer. The problem is that whenever an e-mail from a particular sender arrives in my box, it plays 4 notification sounds in rapid succession. Is there any way to stop this annoying problem without disabling all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. outlook new mail systray