Windows 10: Outlook not recognizing default app for .jpg files.

Discus and support Outlook not recognizing default app for .jpg files. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have a coworker who has .jpg files emailed to him on a regular bases and whenever he has to open one up, he is prompted with the default app... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Brian_AKB, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Brian_AKB Win User

Outlook not recognizing default app for .jpg files.

Hello,

I have a coworker who has .jpg files emailed to him on a regular bases and whenever he has to open one up, he is prompted with the default app popup each time he goes to open a new .jpg.

It's set to default to windows photo reader and it will work everywhere else EXCEPT when using outlook.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian

Moved from: Outlook / Windows 10 / Office 2016

:)

Brian_AKB, Mar 3, 2020
  2. Victek Win User

Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder though if the issue actually has anything to do with the Adobe Reader? When I first observed the problem Edge was showing as the default PDF reader in Outlook's drop down list. It was possible to select Adobe Reader from the list, but even though we put a check in the box for Outlook to remember the choice it didn't. After setting the Adobe Reader as the default in Control Panel/Default Programs/ the icon on PDF files changed to the Adobe Reader icon and it replaced Edge as the first app in Outlook's drop down list, however Outlook continues to ask and doesn't save the choice.

One thing I wanted to try was repairing Microsoft Office, but strangely there is no entry in Programs and Features. I wonder if there's a way to run the repair from the command line?

Victek, Mar 3, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Outlook PST File Problem

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Export everything to another PST file, delete the old(or rather move it out of the default folder) and replace it with the new PST file that you exported.

newtekie1, Mar 3, 2020
  4. Sigurd Win User

Opening a .MSG file created by Outlook 365

Because the apps I had tried and the one I had installed, appeared on the list of possible Apps in the list for opening MSG files, I thought that repairing Outlook might work. So I tried the repair option as Sheltieuk had suggested. When I then tried Start – Defaults afterwards and looked to see what was available to open MSG files, Outlook had appeared on the list! Selected that and it worked.

For once I have posed not only a question but an answer!!

Sigurd, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Outlook not recognizing default app for .jpg files. - Similar Threads - Outlook recognizing default

2. JPG and JPEG file types cannot be associated or set with default app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    JPG and JPEG file types cannot be associated or set with default app: Hi,New HP Envy PC, Windows 11 pre-installed. When I use Open With to change the default app from Microsoft Photos to something else, there is no option to set a different app as the default file type.When I go into settings and try to associate JPG or JPEG, they do not come...
  3. JPG and JPEG file types cannot be associated or set with default app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    JPG and JPEG file types cannot be associated or set with default app: Hi,New HP Envy PC, Windows 11 pre-installed. When I use Open With to change the default app from Microsoft Photos to something else, there is no option to set a different app as the default file type.When I go into settings and try to associate JPG or JPEG, they do not come...
  4. How to set default app for file type jpg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set default app for file type jpg: I would like to change the default app for the file type jpg. I've gone through all the steps for setting a default app but the jpg file extension does not appear in the list and therefore I cannot choose a default. When I Open a jpg file it opens in the Photo app. If I look...
  5. How to set default app for file type jpg

How to set default app for file type jpg: I would like to change the default app for the file type jpg. I've gone through all the steps for setting a default app but the jpg file extension does not appear in the list and therefore I cannot choose a default. When I Open a jpg file it opens in the Photo app. If I look...
  6. Windows 10 not recognizing jpg files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 not recognizing jpg files: When I plug in a camera mini disc windows displays a sign that it doesn't recognize the content on the disc (which is jpg) and asks if I want to format the disc. How is this corrected?...
  7. Default Apps -- JPG Viewer App Photocommander not coming up as option to set as default app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Apps -- JPG Viewer App Photocommander not coming up as option to set as default app: I am running Win 10. I want to use Photocommander to view jpgs but when I try to set it as the default it does not come up in the options list. Thanks for your help. Sharon in PA...
  8. trouble recognizing .jpg files

in Windows 10 Support
    trouble recognizing .jpg files: I recently bought a new computer and transferred all of my old photos over, which are .jpg files. When I go in through my folders (thru my desktop, for example) they are there. When I go in through a website (to upload) or to load some pictures to a slideshow on my desktop,...
  9. Using Fireworks CS5 or CS6 as default app for jpg files

Using Fireworks CS5 or CS6 as default app for jpg files: I use Adobe Fireworks a lot to edit jpg and other files. They need admin in order to open files. Windows 10 will not allow me to set Fireworks as default jpg editor. There are lots of posts thet tell one how to do it but I have not found one that works at all. Fireworks CS5...
  10. default jpg viewer

default jpg viewer: How do I make Win10 use the standard jpg viewer that was used in Win7? I think it was actually a DLL. 105204