Windows 10: Outlook Search Results - Blank "FROM" column

Discus and support Outlook Search Results - Blank "FROM" column in Cortana to solve the problem; I have a report from several users in an office of an issue in Outlook 2016 32-bit standard edition. All users are using the same version of Outlook,... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Phillip[]Fotineas, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Outlook Search Results - Blank "FROM" column

I have a report from several users in an office of an issue in Outlook 2016 32-bit standard edition. All users are using the same version of Outlook, installed on Windows 10 Pro x64. The office version is listed as 16.0.4783.1000 when viewing Outlook.exe properties

Starting this week, following some updates to Windows 10 and office, when a user searches Current Mailbox they get results as per usual, but the FROM column of the results is blank.

Workaround: change from Current Mailbox to Sub-folder when searching and it will display

Some folks were "resolved" by renaming the Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Outlook folder to .old and then re-opening Outlook.

For some people that seemed to fix it, for some it didnt. Also, not sure if this is just going to show up again.

I have tried resetting views, changing fonts, moving the column around, nothing worked. I have also started an Index rebuild on some users machines, hoping that will help with this issue.

Also, since this only happens in search function, I have labeled this as a Cortana & Search issue.

First user noticed it the day after they got the December 19th patch KB4483234

Other patches have been applied recently as well:

2018-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4483234)

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB3203480) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4032230) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Project 2016 (KB4461587) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4461533) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Visio 2016 (KB4461531) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Skype for Business 2016 (KB4461586) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4461435) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Excel 2016 (KB4461600) 32-Bit Edition

Not sure what else to do here besides hurry up and wait!

I have not yet rebuilt the user profile, and would like to avoid that if at all possible.

:)

Phillip[]Fotineas, Jan 4, 2019

2. Are Outlook 2010 items included in search results?

Whenever I performed a "Search programs and files" in Windows 7, the results included items from my Outlook 2010 data (e.g. contacts, messages, tasks). However, those items don't turn up in the Windows 10 search results, even though my Outlook PST files are listed in the Search Index. The instant search feature appears to work within Outlook 2010, though. Is this by design in Windows 10? Or is there something broken on my system?

VelcroFace, Jan 4, 2019
  3. j39dofFkjsd, Jan 4, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Outlook Search Results - Blank "FROM" column

Windows 10 search not indexing Outlook 2013, no search results

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in using Windows 10.

Let's diagnose the issue by referring to the following suggestion and check if that helps you.

First of all, I would suggest you to check if the
    Windows Search
    Service is running in Automatic mode under the list of Windows services. You can follow the steps to check and start the
    Windows Search again:

• Press Windows+R keys to open Run. Type “servces.msc” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • From the list of services, locate the Windows Search Support Service
      and Windows Search Service.
    • Right click on the Windows Search Service
      and then click on Properties.
    • Check if the service is running. If not, start the service and change the
      Startup type to Automatic.
    • Follow the same steps to start the Bluetooth service
      and change the startup type to Automatic.
    You can also try the following suggestion.

Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter. Follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press “Windows key + W”.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    • Select “Search and Indexing”.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance.

Arul_D, Jan 4, 2019
Thema:

Outlook Search Results - Blank "FROM" column

1. Outlook Search Results - Blank "FROM" column - Similar Threads - Outlook Search Results

2. Outlook Search Error: "We're having trouble fetching results from the server"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Outlook Search Error: "We're having trouble fetching results from the server": When trying to search in Outlook App on my computer, i get the error message "We're having trouble fetching results from the server" when searching within my @outlook.com account. It is not present when searching within my other email accounts linked to Outlook Application....
  3. Search in Outlook puts your results on top

in Windows 10 News
    Search in Outlook puts your results on top: Today, we’re delighted to share updates in Outlook that bring your search results to the top of your app experience, add top results and relevant suggestions to the Search box as well as new ways to find what you need when you search in Outlook on the go. We recognize that...
  4. My cortana search shows blank results

in Cortana
    My cortana search shows blank results: Today I noticed my cortana search looks completely different. When I go to type in my search box, I get blank results, no matter what I type. I have verified that Windows has indexed nearly 50,000 items for windows search. How can i fix this? My first picture shows what...
  5. Outlook Search Feature Not displaying Folder Column

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook Search Feature Not displaying Folder Column: After doing a search for a message in Outlook (MS Office Home & Business 2016) the answer appears on the screen. But there is no mention of the folder column to show in what particular folder the message resides in. I would to see the name of the folder where I had moved it...
  6. Outlook Search Feature Not displaying Folder Column

in Windows 10 Support
    Outlook Search Feature Not displaying Folder Column: After doing a search for a message in Outlook (MS Office Home & Business 2016) the answer appears on the screen. But there is no mention of the folder column to show in what particular folder the message resides in. I would to see the name of the folder where I had moved it...
  7. Path Column as permanent view setting in the Search result in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Path Column as permanent view setting in the Search result in Windows 10: When you search you always get the "Folder" Column. to Display the path you have to right click on the header and select more and select path. You have to do this everytime. Is there a regedit setting that makes that permanent? or is there another setting somewhere that makes...
  8. Strange white Blank Search result (start menu)

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange white Blank Search result (start menu): Strange white Blank Search result (start menu) Hi all, when i push the win button and type to search for an app or anything i get this result. i have restarted explorer.exe and completed these steps here: Cortana not finding Desktop apps when searching for them -...
  9. Are Outlook 2010 items included in search results?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Are Outlook 2010 items included in search results?: Whenever I performed a "Search programs and files" in Windows 7, the results included items from my Outlook 2010 data (e.g. contacts, messages, tasks). However, those items don't turn up in the Windows 10 search results, even though my Outlook PST files are listed in the...
  10. Customize Windows 10 File Explorer search result columns

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize Windows 10 File Explorer search result columns: How do I customize search result columns in File Explorer? For example, I would always like to see the Date Created column in all my searches. I have tried using tips for earlier Windows versions, but Windows 10 seems to have disabled the "Apply to Folders" button in the View...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows search is blank

2. From fiel font showing white in Outlook search results

3. searching column for blanks

4. outlook blank threads,
  5. outlook search results,
  6. fotineas,
  7. outlook 2016 nothing showing in FROM column,
  8. Outlook Search Results - Blank FROM column,
  9. outlook search not displaying field column,
  10. from column blank when searching in outlook,
  11. when searching in outlook the from column is blank,