Windows 10: Outlook won't connect, Network & Sharing service must be started

Discus and support Outlook won't connect, Network & Sharing service must be started in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We've recently been plagued by users unable to send and receive in Outlook 365 using the installed Office 365 on Windows 10 computers. Users will start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by John Hardison, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Outlook won't connect, Network & Sharing service must be started

We've recently been plagued by users unable to send and receive in Outlook 365 using the installed Office 365 on Windows 10 computers. Users will start their computer and open Outlook, but a yellow warning triangle appears and the status says "needs password". No amount of Outlook troubleshooting fixes this.

The user will often see this message pop up as a single sentence in a huge window when trying to do anything in Outlook:

"We are unable to connect right now. Please check your network and try again later."

However, if you go to Network & Sharing center, the network status says that it isn't working, with the words "more information..." as a link. Clicking on this brings up a pop-up saying that the service isn't running, and asks if you want to start it. Starting the service requires admin rights, so this isn't something the users can do, even when educated, without tech support intervention. Starting the service IMMEDIATELY corrects the problem with Outlook though it must be closed and restarted.

Some computers experience this on a regular basis, other computers in our environment never seem to get it. I have discovered no rhyme or reason for who gets it, when they will get it, or under what circumstances.

Doing some web searches on this topic have yielded many possible solutions, yet none seem to permanently fix the problem. Fixes include:

1 Setting the following SERVICES accordingly note, this list started with only 4 services but has grown as I have discovered new posts on forums around the web:

Application Layer Gateway Service Automatic

DHCP Client Automatic

DNS Client Automatic

Function Discovery Resource Publication Automatic

Network Connections Manual

Network List Service Automatic

Network Location Awareness Automatic

Network Store Interface Service Automatic

Plug and Play Automatic

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Automatic

Remote Access Connection Manager Automatic

Remote Proceedure Call Automatic

SSDP Discovery Automatic

Telephony Automatic

UPnP Device Host Automatic

2 Refresh the computer's IP by:

netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset
    netsh interface ipv4 reset
    netsh interface ipv6 reset
    ipconfig /flushdns

3 Uninstalling the network driver and rebooting.

4 Doing a complete reinstall of Office 365 on the trouble computer.

To date, none of these solutions have corrected this network error. Can anyone help?

:)

John Hardison, Feb 13, 2020
  2. Marco Gav Win User

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service is unable to start automatically on boot?

Hi,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps that YanisLukes
    did to resolve the same issue.

To update your network adapter, you can follow these steps:

• Select the Start button, type Device Manager, and select
      it from the list of results.

• Expand the category where your device is located, then right-click on the name of your device, and select Update Driver Software.

• Select Search automatically for updated driver software.

If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

If updating the device driver doesn't work, we suggest that you reinstall the driver: 

• Open Device Manager.

• Right-click on the name of the device.

• Select Uninstall. 

• Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided here:
    How to Troubleshoot Internet Connection Sharing Problems.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Feb 13, 2020
  3. geno368 Win User
    Outlook not connected in Microsoft Exchange Server

I am new to Exchange Server 2003 and I have a friend with a network server that I don't know how to re-establish a user to the network. I moved one of his non used computers to this station and now when I try to log in the user I get the error that the name can't be verified because Outlook is not connected or online. This computer used to be online with a different user. Can anyone tell me the steps to check this? Thanks.

geno368, Feb 13, 2020
  4. wortex Win User

Outlook won't connect, Network & Sharing service must be started

My PC is not listed in Network

Hi Eagle51

I have done all cleanup and also the tcpip reset. Still sharing problem after restart
    All firewalls are disabled and the services are configured as your list

On my HT-PC, all computers are now listed in Network list and i can se all 4 shared HT-PC folders. but when I click on one of my shared HT-PC folders under Network I get this error message during network diagnostic.

Problem found
    The remote device or resource won´t accept the connection

"The divice or resource (HT-PC) is not set up to accept connections om port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".

Do you know why?

wortex, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

Outlook won't connect, Network & Sharing service must be started

1. Outlook won't connect, Network & Sharing service must be started - Similar Threads - Outlook won't connect

2. Outlook won't start anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outlook won't start anymore: Hello, Since about 10 days I have been unable to launch Office Outlook. Looking in the eventviewer I get the following: Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.16227.20258, time stamp: 0x642b425f Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1413,...
  3. Outlook won't start anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook won't start anymore: Hello, Since about 10 days I have been unable to launch Office Outlook. Looking in the eventviewer I get the following: Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.16227.20258, time stamp: 0x642b425f Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1413,...
  4. Network list service won't start HELP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network list service won't start HELP: My networks status is blank and I got a new network adapter and still can't get wifi to show up and I thought this might fix it won't work though https://reddit.com/link/jbbn91/video/vbovzx0u45t51/player submitted by /u/Mediocreballsack [link] [comments]...
  5. Shared internet connection service keeps auto-starting.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Shared internet connection service keeps auto-starting.: I want to permanently disable shared internet connection service SharedAccess, but every time I disable the service through registry editor and restarting my pc, SharedAccess won't stop. When I do it through services.msc the service stops autostarting as long as I don't turn...
  6. Outlook won't start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Outlook won't start: After running the latest W10 updates, Outlook will not open. The message says: Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened....
  7. COMPULSORY WINDOWS SERVICES MUST BE STARTED AUTOMATICALLY

in Windows 10 Customization
    COMPULSORY WINDOWS SERVICES MUST BE STARTED AUTOMATICALLY: i am sharing commands to enable windows compulsory services and to make start and make startup type as automatic open cmd in administrator rights and then type the following commands and press enter C:\Windows\system32\sc.exe start Appinfo type=auto...
  8. Network Sharing and Connecting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Sharing and Connecting: I'm Not Able To Connect Other Devices In Same Wifi Network I Tried To Change My PC Settings But Still Facing Same Issue. Can Anyone Suggest Me what I Should Do To Solve This Problem So I Can See Other Device Data and To Use Printer As Well....
  9. Sharing network connection

Sharing network connection: Hello, I'm wondering if anyone is having issues with sharing their internet connection with other devices after a recent update to Windows 10. After installing KB3176936 and KB3176934, I am unable to share my network. My current setup has my laptop connected to the home...
  10. WMP network sharing service

WMP network sharing service: I'm not sure many people really use or care for this feature but I still use WMP and its sharing service. I notice on Windows 10 its role as a DLNA server habitually drops and the WMP network sharing service needs restarting or a restart of Windows brings it back. It's pretty...