Windows 10: Outputting ellipsis to cmd.exe window …

Discus and support Outputting ellipsis to cmd.exe window … in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The Horizontal Ellipsis character "…" is not part of the ASCII character set used by my UK Windows 10 system. I know this as I have a script which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Swifty, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Swifty Win User

Outputting ellipsis to cmd.exe window …

The Horizontal Ellipsis character "…" is not part of the ASCII character set used by my UK Windows 10 system. I know this as I have a script which outputs all printable characters between x'00' and x'FF'.

Is there some sneaky trick that I could used such that "ECHO {sneaky trick}" would type out the required ellipsis?

:)

Swifty, Sep 27, 2017
  2. Bjooorn Win User

Right clicking inside a Windows 10 command prompt

The problem was the Quick Edit mode in cmd.exe that was freezing output to the console. Right clicking cancels the Edit mode.

Bjooorn, Sep 27, 2017
  3. auggy Win User
    Windows 10 The Audio Service is not running and probably missing

Audiosrv is the Windows Audio Service.

Can you do the following:

Windows Key + R > type cmd.exe in the "Open" box > OK

At the command prompt type the following:

sc query audiosrv

What is the output of that command?

auggy, Sep 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Is an ellipsis actually a character? Or do you simply need to represent it as such?

"This may be the end of the sentence...."

- just 3 successive periods...

That said, <ALT>0133 on the numeric keypad generates one as a single character.

- in a command prompt window too.

A free program such as this can help see what's available..

Outputting ellipsis to cmd.exe window … [​IMG]

I find it easier than

dalchina, Sep 27, 2017
  5. Swifty Win User
    Yes, as you found, ellipsis is a single character. It comes in handy when you're tight for space.

... looks OK in a proportional font, but cmd.exe uses a fixed width font, and then it looks more like . . .

I've used ASCII highlighting (esc[xxx]) with erratic results in cmd.exe (based on how cmd.exe is launched), so I'm left hoping for something akin to html entities, such as &hellip;

Swifty, Sep 27, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member

There's the ellipsis compared to 3x periods...

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Outputting ellipsis to cmd.exe window … - Similar Threads - Outputting ellipsis cmd

2. CMD flashes after suspicious exe launch

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CMD flashes after suspicious exe launch: Recently i was doing some research on additional software for a game. I saw some vidos on YT and decided to download it even though i knew it could be a shady one. After i downloaded it, i laucnhed .exe file and nothing happened at first. Then it started flashing cmd on my...
  3. cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator: From exe file property ===> check: Run this program as an administrator open cmd: run as adminitrator type cd ==> enter C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads\Programs\Apps\Viber Setup ==> Enter ===> 'C:\Users\MYNAME' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable...
  4. cannot run an exe file in CMD asministrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot run an exe file in CMD asministrator: From exe file property ===> check: Run this program as an administrator open cmd: run as adminitrator type cd ==> enter C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads\Programs\Apps\Viber Setup ==> Enter ===> 'C:\Users\MYNAME' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable...
  5. Select C:\winddows\SysWow64\cmd. exe

in Windows 10 Support
    Select C:\winddows\SysWow64\cmd. exe: when trying to open "Uninstall or change a program", " System properties" from This PC or trying from right click on desktop to open Personalization or Display setting, a cmd open and close right after and nothing happens, but if click on that cmd right before it close, it...
  6. X:\windows\system32\cmd. Exe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    X:\windows\system32\cmd. Exe: Bonjour j'ai un problème avec mon pc (un lenovo yoga 300). À la fin d'une mise à jour, j'ai dû redémarrer mon pc et après le redémarrage je tombe sur une page qui me demande de choisir en l'option *Dépannage ou *Éteindre le pc. [IMG] J'ai donc essayé l'option dépannage:...
  7. Cannot run .exe files, cmd (admin)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot run .exe files, cmd (admin): Hi! I tried to install a program to recover some lost pictures from an android phone. Later on some error popped up basically saying I couldn’t install the program. I’ve since then deleted the installer exe file. For some reason nothing was working so i force shutdown my...
  8. ellipsis

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ellipsis: ellipsis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ellipsis/dc7fa59e-928a-49d4-a838-93317966157f"
  9. I cannot unsubscribe to this question. There is NO ellipsis

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cannot unsubscribe to this question. There is NO ellipsis: I cannot unsubscribe to this question. There is NO ellipsis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/i-cannot-unsubscribe-to-this-question-there-is-no/cd776b4e-08ff-4a7c-9f5f-35a5a60e90d6
  10. Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit

in Windows 10 Support
    Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit: I did a very stupid thing. I tried to make windows block one application by creating registry in Policies/Explorer named RestrictRun. I did it and then I also created DisallowRun. In KEy Restrict run I added one application, but i couldnt create key for DisallowRun and...