Windows 10: Over-aggressive band steer 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz?

Discus and support Over-aggressive band steer 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; One of my users has recently experienced bad WiFi-connectivity. At boot, all was good; though after some time the number of quarter-circles indicating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by udippel, May 7, 2020.

1. udippel Win User

Over-aggressive band steer 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz?

One of my users has recently experienced bad WiFi-connectivity. At boot, all was good; though after some time the number of quarter-circles indicating field strength went down, and connections became bad, at times making video conferencing MS teams lousy to impossible.

I couldn't find anything wrong with the AP, a professional EnGenius dual band. Other users had no problems.

It took me some time to find the reason: Her machine, lenovo Helix 2, with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7265, running latest driver and regularly updated W10, connects to the AP at boot through the 2.4 GHz band. Sooner or later it switches to 5 GHz, though the field strength is lower -70dB on 2.4 versus -83dB on 5 GHz. When, under certain circumstances, the 5 GHz get's even lower, the client disconnects. At least I have never seen it returning to 2.4 GHz instead. Except with a shutdown.

Since she didn't see this earlier, I took the guess that at some moment the offload from 2.4 to 5 was made more aggressive in either the driver or W10. so aggressive, that it steers from 2.4 to 5, even at a loss of field strength by more than 10 dB and seemingly never back.

For further exploration, I created an additional SSID for her personally that is only available on the 2.4 GHz band. Since then, everything runs smoothly, again.

Last not least: band steer on the AP has always been disabled.

:)

udippel, May 7, 2020

2. How Do I Access 5 GHz Band On AC1750?

I don't see a screen like the screenshot you posted allowing selection of 5 GHz in my Security Page. This is what I see, and there is no option to connect to 2 GHz or 5 GHz.

Over-aggressive band steer 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz? [​IMG]

I did login into the router. It lists the 5 Ghz band correctly, but is doesn't show up on Network Settings. Therefore, I cannot connect to it. I would think it should be there too, but it isn't as far as I can tell. The only entry in Network Settings is the 2.4 GHz one. What can I do to get the 5 GHz band recognized in order to connect?

TexasBandit, May 7, 2020
  3. KenGough Win User
    5 gHz Wifi

I installed a new Cable Modem Router that has dual band, 2.4 gHz and 5 gHz wifi. Everything works fine on my cell phones but when I connect to the new wifi, my computer does not see the 5 gHz wifi. I am using Windows 10 on a HP Pavilion g6. The computer
    is more than 5 years old. Is there a way to get the computer to recognize the 5 gHz wifi, which is more reliable than the 2.4 gHz?

KenGough, May 7, 2020
  4. Over-aggressive band steer 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz?

Trying to switch between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz HELP!

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Network adapters

Right click your Wireless adapter

Click Properties

Click the Advanced tab

In the Property list, choose Band

Click in the Value list box

Choose 5 Ghz

Andre for Directly, May 7, 2020
Thema:

Over-aggressive band steer 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz?

1. Over-aggressive band steer 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz? - Similar Threads - aggressive band steer

2. Problems with ping on the 2.4 GHz band?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with ping on the 2.4 GHz band?: Periodically in any online game every 5-7 minutes the ping jumps from 20 to 40-60 and this is accompanied by such good glitches, overclocking for one or two seconds.This happens only in the 2.4 Hz range.For example, everything is stable on the 5 GHz band, on the same...
  3. Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...: Correct or not?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/answer-this-question-2-cores-2-ghz-processor-4-ghz/eb1a1d2d-90d7-49da-87bc-5f561398c240
  4. Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...: Correct or not?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/answer-this-question-2-cores-2-ghz-processor-4-ghz/eb1a1d2d-90d7-49da-87bc-5f561398c240
  5. How to switch between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to switch between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands in Windows 10: Depending upon the hardware, you can use 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands in your Windows 10 computer to get a better internet speed. Here is how you can switch between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands in Windows 10. In general, if your computer has a 5 GHz adapter and your Wi-Fi...
  6. Laptop will only connect to 5.0 GHz band but the 2.4 GHz band shows "no internet connection".

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop will only connect to 5.0 GHz band but the 2.4 GHz band shows "no internet connection".: I just installed a new WiFi router from Xfinity. My HP Windows 10 laptop is connecting to the 5.0 GHz band but not to the 2.4 GHz band. It shows "no internet connection". I've checked the duel band drivers they are updated and have tried rebooting my laptop as well as...
  7. 5 GHz band problem and request time out

5 GHz band problem and request time out: In my PC, using TP Link wireless adapter AC600 v1.0 i can't connect it to my 5Ghz band when it is plugged at the back of my PC, it says "cant connect to this network" if i plug in the front it gets connected but I'm not to able play games with ease i get constant 300 - 500...
  8. HOW TO CHANGE FROM 5 GHZ TO 2.4 GHZ

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HOW TO CHANGE FROM 5 GHZ TO 2.4 GHZ: I HAVE NEW SECURITY CAMERA WILL NOT CONECT TO 5 GHZ , SO HAVE TO CHANGE SETTING ON ROUTER? TO 2.4 GHZ HOW? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/how-to-change-from-5-ghz-to-24-ghz/576f5c1a-1a88-4ba9-bcf6-7eb409642e62
  9. How Do I Access 5 GHz Band On AC1750?

How Do I Access 5 GHz Band On AC1750?: I recently purchased a Linksys AC1750 EA7300 router. I want to use the 5 Ghz band, but it is not displayed in Network Settings. I only see my 2.4 Ghz band. My question is how do I change to the 5 Ghz band with this router? I cannot find an option to do that. On my previous...
  10. Strange FiOS Quantum Gateway 5 GHz Band Behavior

Strange FiOS Quantum Gateway 5 GHz Band Behavior: I am using the Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway router. I am getting some strange behavior when trying to connecting to it with a Surface Pro 4 using the 5 GHz (either mixed N/AC or AC mode, fixed channel 40) band. Routing to the Surface seems to fail regularly as evidenced by...