Windows 10: Over-writing a previous instance of Outlook 2003 with 2016

Discus and support Over-writing a previous instance of Outlook 2003 with 2016 in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; When I initially installed Office 2016 I forgot to uninstall Outlook 2003 (32-bit). Although Outlook 2016 worked it used a 32-bit profile. I tried... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by jeanrouge, Apr 3, 2018.

1. jeanrouge Win User

Over-writing a previous instance of Outlook 2003 with 2016

When I initially installed Office 2016 I forgot to uninstall Outlook 2003 (32-bit). Although Outlook 2016 worked it used a 32-bit profile. I tried cleaning up by removing Outlook 2003 which was OK but now want to reinstall Outlook 2016 using a 64-bit profile. There is no option in Programs and Features (as there was with Office 2003) to select which component to install or re-install or repair. Well there is a repair but you don't know what it is doing... I don't particularly want to remove everything and re-run the install from scratch. Is there any way at all that I can just remove Outlook 2016 without touching Word Excel Access etc and then re-install it?

:)

jeanrouge, Apr 3, 2018

2. E_MAILs

Do you mean Microsoft Office 2003? If you install Office 2016, Outlook 2016 should reuse the same data file Outlook 2003 is using and you'll see the same folders.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Apr 3, 2018
  3. Liz Nicol Win User
    Windows Update disabled my Outlook 2003

If I upgrade to a later version of Outlook, will I lose all of my Outlook 2003 inbox and sub folders I have created over the years. I have no way of backing them up as the dreaded 'The Operation failed' message appears. Also do I have to upgrade the
    full MS Office or can I just upgrade Outlook?

Liz Nicol, Apr 3, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

First, a quote from an earlier post of mine in another thread:

Personally I have never seen a reason to use 64 bit Office. I am quite an experienced Office user, always installing the 32 bit version, regardless of my PC / Windows architecture. Having said that, if you want to proceed, you must completely uninstall 32 bit Office before installing 64 bit version. To remove 32 bit Office, use Microsoft's Easy Fix tool, download it here: Uninstall Office from a PC - Office Support

Kari, Apr 3, 2018
  5. jeanrouge Win User
    Hi Kari - Your point is well-made. I was being simplistic in my explanation - I have completed removed Outlook 2003 (there is no longer a "Mail" icon in the Control Panel) but there is a "Mail Outlook 2016 (32-bit)" icon. I use a product called MDaemon which is an Exchange-Lookalike which depends on a client program called "Outlook Connector" installed locally. This permits linking up to the "MDaemon" server. There is a 32-bit and a 64-bit version. The 32-bit version doesn't appear to sit comfortably in a 64-bit environment. I've uninstalled it successfully but the 64-bit version won't install as there must be a vestige of the 32-bit somewhere... It is for this reason that I wanted to uninstall Outlook 2016 , reboot and then reinstall it. But there doesn't seem to be an option in Control Panel "Programs and Settings" to just uninstall Outlook it is either all or nothing and I don't really want to go through the whole process again - this explains the back ground to my question. Jean

jeanrouge, Apr 3, 2018
  6. Kari Win User
    As I mentioned, you must completely remove / uninstall 32 bit version before installing 64 version.

Kari, Apr 3, 2018
  7. jeanrouge Win User
    Well to end this dead-end (not because of anything you said) let me tell you what happened today. After failed efforts to install the "correct" Outlook Client (usual gazillion error messages) I then created a new profile (still with the 32-bit Outlook 2016 Mail Profile icon) and without any explanation it all started working... I went back to what I thought was the corrupt mail profile and reintegrated the email account that was giving difficulties and it all works... I even wound up Internet Explorer and imported the self-signed certificate (which you can't do with Edge) so I am a happy man now. Thanks for taking the time to guide me. Jean

jeanrouge, Apr 3, 2018
  8. Kari Win User

All's well that ends well *Smile

Kari, Apr 3, 2018
  9. Berton Win User
    And that includes the Office Compatibility Pack that works with Office 2000 up to Office 2007 if you have it. Also be sure there's no Viewer installed, such as PowerPoint Viewer, Excel Viewer, Word Viewer [they are being discontinued anyway]. I ran into those issues with the April updates today, hadn't realized the 2 apps had been installed after the 2/2018 updates. There was no reason given for the failure of Windows Update in Settings but found out when trying to do a Repair of Office.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
  10. Kari Win User
    That's why I recommended OP to use Microsoft's tool to completely remove Office before reinstalling. It removes all traces of Office.

11. Berton Win User
    Right, but the 2 programs that gave me the problem are separate entries from Microsoft Office in Apps/Programs and Features.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Over-writing a previous instance of Outlook 2003 with 2016 - Similar Threads - writing previous instance

2. Outlook 2003

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook 2003: Hi, I use Outlook 2003 for my e-mail client and since I downloaded and installed the latest major update 20H2 - 19042.685 on Windows 10 Pro the password keeps dropping out and I am prompted to enter the password every time I open Outlook. Do Microsoft ever test these...
  3. outlook 2016

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    outlook 2016: all started with send receive error and now after trying to follow instruction nothing works anymore and cant even access old emails, would like to talk with someone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-2016/472af38c-67c2-49bb-b2b8-3a3d053804ee
  4. Outlook 2016

in Windows 10 Support
    Outlook 2016: Sorry re posted in office 137379
  5. Outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016: I was given a copy of Outlook 2016 since I could not get my old Outlook 2003 to work on Windows 10. The way it works is really confusing at the moment. Does anyone know of good tutorials to help in learning process? One thing I would like to know right NOW is how to get...
  6. Outlook 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Outlook 2016: I just recently tried to create a new e-mail account. I was unable to do so since the usual screens to input the new e-mail address, incoming and and outgoing server information where not available. This all because of damage caused by the last Win. 10 update ver. 1809. I...
  7. Outlook 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2016: This is probably more a Gmail settings question then an Outlook question but here goes. I use Outlook 2016 since it's release with 6 live, outlook accounts and 1 gmail account for years and years. I received an email from Google stating that my gmail account security...
  8. Outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016: Address book missing from recent upgrade. Attempting to send email I click "TO:" and no address book is showing my list of contacts. Recently transferred from old pc to new pc using WD Passport. Though Passport would transfer all files and data. Cannot locate the Outlook 2016...
  9. Help please with Outlook 2003

in Browsers and Email
    Help please with Outlook 2003: When I create a signature in Outlook it is single line spaced but when I create a new email or insert a signature it is double line spaced and I cannot change it. Also, how can I create a signature including graphics? I have created an HTML file but the logo doesn't show...
  10. Outlook 2003

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2003: I run Office 2003 on my Windows 7 machine and use Outlook 2003 for my email. Is there a way I can use Outlook 2003 if I upgrade to Windows 10? This potential problem is the only reason I don't upgrade to the free Windows 10 upgrade. Thanks for any information. *Think 26964