Windows 10: Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Discus and support Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I'm overclocking my Intel 8700k to 5Ghz and every time I check the current frequency in task manager the max is constantly changing. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SackHappy, Nov 25, 2018.

1. SackHappy Win User

Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Hi,

I'm overclocking my Intel 8700k to 5Ghz and every time I check the current frequency in task manager the max is constantly changing. I have high-performance power settings on windows enabled and I have also disabled CPU state and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS. I also noticed that when using other tools to display my GPU and CPU performance they show my CPU max frequency is exactly 5Ghz, why does Task Manager constantly display a constantly changing frequency?

Any suggestions?
    Much appreciated

:)

SackHappy, Nov 25, 2018
  2. sbrm1 Win User

Why the cpu frequency shows differently in Win10 task manager and system properties?

Your CPU is an 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300I CPU @ 1.90GHz' with '@ 1.90GHz' as a part of that name. Which means that the processor's base frequency1 of your CPU is 1.90 GHz. But here the CPU is telling the system that it's running at 2.63GHz.

For some other CPU's I would have said its overclocked, but your CPU model has a feature known as Turbo Boost2 which enables it to automatically overclock to a higher yet safe frequency based on certain conditions.

The Turbo Boost frequency for your CPU is 2.90 GHz, which means your CPU can attain that frequency under certain conditions but is currently running at 2.63GHz.

Also, Windows calculates the max frequency of your CPU to be 2.50GHz as different algorithms are used to measure processor speed. For example, the algorithm used by Intel in its branded maximum speed is different than the algorithm used by Task Manager to directly measure the speed of the CPU. You can use other processor utilities, such as the Intel Processor Identification Utility or CPU-Z, for additional processor speed measurements.

Also note that Hyper-V as well as VMware is reported to interfere with the clock speed calculation of Task Manager.

I'd stick with CPU-Z for measuring CPU frequency as it's calculation algorithm is much better.

Notes:

1. Processor Base Frequency describes the rate at which the processor's transistors open and close. The processor base frequency is the operating point where TDP is defined. Frequency is measured in gigahertz (GHz), or billion cycles per second.
    2. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology accelerates processor and graphics performance for peak loads, automatically allowing processor cores to run faster than the rated operating frequency if they’re operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits. Whether the processor enters into Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and the amount of time the processor spends in that state depends on the workload and operating environment.

Sources:

1. https://goo.gl/obtiWG
    2. https://goo.gl/MUtlOr
    3. https://goo.gl/a9Ga3h
    4. https://goo.gl/FotxKq

sbrm1, Nov 25, 2018
  3. sco907 Win User
    Stuck CPU Frequency - Win10x64 intel i5 2500k

I just upgraded to Windows10 from 7, though I don't honestly know if this issue was caused by the upgrade, I noticed in task manager that CPU frequency was constantly being reported as 1.6GHz, despite the official 2500k speed being 3.3Ghz, and my motherboard
    having overclocked it to 4.2GHz.

Further testing has confirmed that this seems to be the case using the asus tools, open hardware monitor and cpuz.

I have tried un-overclocking the system, rebooting, changing the power seetings to high performance, nothing has changed this.

When I boot into linux with the same settings (using a different hard drive) the cpu speed scales up to 4.GHz and down just fine, so I do not think it is a hardware issue. And the temp never exceeds ~62C, with a max of 99C and the fans not even all the way
    reved up I don't think heat is a concern.

I have no stability issues. I am seeing slowdowns from having my processor run at almost 1/4 speed in Windows though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

All driver updates, windows updates, bios updates done

My system:

desktop

processor: intel i5 2500k

motherboard: asus P868-Z

Memory: 16 GB

sco907, Nov 25, 2018
  4. Andrew M Win User

CPU Constantly at 100% In Task Manager, But Not in Process Explorer

Starting yesterday, I have a very odd problem on my Windows 10 desktop-- my CPU is constantly running at 100% (according to Task Manager), and it isn't throttling down. Because of this, it's constantly running at 3.3 GHz and the temperatures are rising to the point where the fans kick in at full force. If I go into the Windows power settings screen and manually change the processor power maximum to 50%, then it's capped at 50% frequency (~1.5 GHz), but it never goes below the maximum possible frequency.

The weird thing is, when I look at the process list, there isn't really anything obvious that's triggering it. None of the processes are abnormal, and though the process CPU percentages do add up to 100%, it doesn't make sense to me that each individual process is taking up as much CPU as Task Manager says it is. Everything seems to be "using" a significantly higher amount of CPU resources than it normally does.

As an attempt to diagnose the problem, I've also tried using Process Explorer. The really weird thing is that Process Explorer shows only 1-2% usage when idle, with the System Idle Process taking up the remaining ~98% as I would expect. Again, nothing looks out of the ordinary in the process list, but the processes are showing the levels of activity I would expect in Process Explorer.

I've already run both Windows Defender and Malware Bytes (a virus was my first guess), but nothing has turned up yet.

This same issue also occurs in Safe Mode, so I'm guessing that it's more along the lines of something to do with Windows itself...

So, to recap:

• Windows 10 Desktop
    • Intel 970, 3.3 GHz, 6 cores
    • Task manager and resource monitor graphs shows 100% usage total
    • No individual process is taking up significant resources in the resource monitor list
    • CPU is not throttling down automatically based on the dynamic load, causing high temperatures and the fan to kick in
    • Process Explorer is only showing 1-2% CPU usage

Before I go uninstalling everything, how would I figure out what's causing the issue if nothing weird is showing up in Task Manager or Process Explorer?

Andrew M, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager - Similar Threads - Overclock cpu max

2. CPU running at max frequency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU running at max frequency: To lead off, nothing on my system is overclocked and the cpu has a min process state of 20%. So I unplugged my PC the other day to clean up around it and have had nothing but issues since getting it back together. Outside of an issue with my wifi adapter that fixed itself, my...
  3. CPU running at max frequency

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU running at max frequency: To lead off, nothing on my system is overclocked and the cpu has a min process state of 20%. So I unplugged my PC the other day to clean up around it and have had nothing but issues since getting it back together. Outside of an issue with my wifi adapter that fixed itself, my...
  4. My cpu is constantly at 100% in task manager.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My cpu is constantly at 100% in task manager.: Hi. I have an old pc predator ag3620-ur12, and i have factory reset it three times now but i have an issue thats still remaining. In task manager, my cpu is at 00% and red at the process tab, and when i go into the performence tab, my cpu is consantly at 100%. Do you have any...
  5. Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency: HP Zbook G5, equipped with i7-8850H. Windows 10 Enterprise, version 21H2, build 19044.1620. BIOS and all driver up-to-date at the time of this writing. DISM and SFC clean.Even though CPU utilization settles down to low single digits, the CPU "Speed" in Task Manager always...
  6. Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency: HP Zbook G5, equipped with i7-8850H. Windows 10 Enterprise, version 21H2, build 19044.1620. BIOS and all driver up-to-date at the time of this writing. DISM and SFC clean.Even though CPU utilization settles down to low single digits, the CPU "Speed" in Task Manager always...
  7. Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. CPU constantly at 100% in task manager

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU constantly at 100% in task manager: Hi, on the users tab of the task manager the CPU section always displays 100% CPU usage, but when viewed with Core Temp the usage percentage is at it's correct % which is 0-1%. Is there anyway to fix this? Thanks. [img] and core temps readings [img] windows version...
  9. Task manager reporting surreal CPU frequencies

Task manager reporting surreal CPU frequencies: I've recently purchased a computer with an i7 2700k (Sandy Bridge-DT) on a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV rev 2.2 motherboard. I installed Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool (version 1903), and from day 1 I'm getting problems with Task manager's CPU frequency readings. Other tools...
  10. Task Manager reporting extreme fluctuating CPU Frequencies

Task Manager reporting extreme fluctuating CPU Frequencies: TL;DR CPU being displayed between 4.4 and 6.8 GHz Task Manager is showing my CPU frequency as 3.20 in the headline under the Performance tab: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz Which is the default speed of the CPU. So far so good. But the realtime display...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why is my CPU running at 100% constantly changing to different processes

2. my 2.50ghz cpu running 3.3ghz constantly

3. windows task manager constantly changing

4. why does a 3.6 ghz cpu show constantly changing ghz