Windows 10: "Overflowed stack-based buffer" error in login UI

Discus and support "Overflowed stack-based buffer" error in login UI in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; [IMG] Windows appears to have force updated sometime today. I booted my computer up while out and about, and encountered a "stack overflow error" with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Zeskorion, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Zeskorion Win User

"Overflowed stack-based buffer" error in login UI

"Overflowed stack-based buffer" error in login UI [​IMG]

Windows appears to have force updated sometime today. I booted my computer up while out and about, and encountered a "stack overflow error" with explorer.EXE.

I followed the following guide https://www.google.com/amp/s/theitbros.com/how-to-fix-windows-10-flashing-screen/amp/ which appears to have caused the error to corrupt the logon UI, an obvious issue. I have tried many things, up to trying to reset windows, and even this fails. I am able to bring up the windows recovery menu with some finagling, however.

I am not able to run any programs on the computer itself due to the worsening of the issue. This also prevents starting in safe mode, at least in the conventional manner i tried.

I am stumped. Could someone assist me?

:)

Zeskorion, Jan 17, 2020
  2. Mishima_ Win User

sihost.exe BUFFER OVERFLOW

I am having major issues with my sihost.exe process running on my local after upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 10. After examining the errors on my pc, I see sihost showing BUFFER OVERFLOW result when attempting to RegQueryValue on Cortana values. My
    start menu is unresponsive and things such as opening File Explorer are taking an incredibly long time. I haven't attempted a system restore from safe mode but this is my next step.

Example:

Operation: RegQueryValue

Result: BUFFER OVERFLOW

Path: HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy\ActivatableClassId\CortanaUI.AppXd4tad4d57t4wtdbnnmb8v2xtzym8c1n8.mca\Description

Mishima_, Jan 17, 2020
  3. Rafael R. Win User
    sihost.exe BUFFER OVERFLOW

Seeing buffer overflows, in what appears to be ProcMon output, is normal. What problem are you having exactly?

Rafael R., Jan 17, 2020
  4. "Overflowed stack-based buffer" error in login UI

Stack overflow at line 1.

Hi,

All programs have something called a call stack. When a program calls a function, an item is placed (pushed) on the stack. When the function returns, it's removed (popped).

Program call stack sizes are strictly limited. If you put too many calls on the stack, it will overflow.

A common way this can occur is if a recursive function (a function that calls itself) where there is a bad case or exit condition. The function will keep calling itself over and over, filling up the stack and causing the overflow.

Ok, how do I fix it?

Are you using Internet Explorer ? It's likely because that is where this most commonly occurs. As such, here are some troubleshooting steps to help to resolve this issue:

1. Reset Internet Explorer Settings

1. Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

2. Click
    Start > Control Panel >
    Internet Options

3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click
    Reset.

4. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click
    Reset.

5. When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the default settings, click
    Close, and then click OK.

6. Close Internet Explorer.

This will restore the default settings for features including:

Home page, search scopes, Browsing History, Form Data, Passwords, Appearance settings, Toolbars
    and Active X controls

Your changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

1) Suggest you run a scan for Malware

2) Turn off Notifications for every script error

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...oubleshoot-script-errors-in-internet-explorer

Smittychat., Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

"Overflowed stack-based buffer" error in login UI

1. "Overflowed stack-based buffer" error in login UI - Similar Threads - Overflowed stack based

2. SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer: I just updated my laptop to the latest Windows 10 build.When I opened settings to check something and clicked on Network & Internet, I got this error that crashes settings after I close it.SystemSettings.exe - System ErrorCRITICAL ERRORThe system detected an overrun of...
  3. SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer: I just updated my laptop to the latest Windows 10 build.When I opened settings to check something and clicked on Network & Internet, I got this error that crashes settings after I close it.SystemSettings.exe - System ErrorCRITICAL ERRORThe system detected an overrun of...
  4. SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SystemSettings.exe - System Error Overrun/Stack-Based Buffer: I just updated my laptop to the latest Windows 10 build. When I opened settings to check something and clicked on Network & Internet, I got this error that crashes settings after I close it. SystemSettings.exe - System Error CRITICAL ERROR The system detected an...
  6. Stack-based buffer overrun/overflow

Stack-based buffer overrun/overflow: I received info on my PC when I re-start it: Stack-based buffer overrun/overflow of a stack-based buffer in this application. svchost.exe So I wrote to Bitdefender and received this answer: Stack-based buffer overrun/overflow is a bug it means that a program writes more...
  7. Svchost.exe stack buffer overflow/overrun

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Svchost.exe stack buffer overflow/overrun: Hello. Yesterday when i turned of the pc, i got this error popping off " svchost.exe The system detected an overrun of a stack based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of the application. " I turned on the pc...
  8. Stack based buffers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Stack based buffers: When ever I try To leave a game a notification pops up saying the system devoted a overrun of stacked based buffers that could potentially allow a malicious user the gain control the all pop up in box’s with a red x and there label startmenuexpiercehost.exe-system error,...
  9. Stack based buffer over run

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Stack based buffer over run: On a few of my games upon closing them i have been getting a warning that there is a stack based buffer over run present or within my system. So today i took the time to completely wipe both of my drives and do a clean install of windows. Now i have re-downloaded a few of my...
  10. Overrrun of stack-based buffers on restart

Overrrun of stack-based buffers on restart: Tried to restart my computer but now every time it is stuck on BSOD with the warning “Overrun of stack-based buffers” which then quickly disappears and the computer remains stuck. New Asus Vivobook bought about a month ago so there isn’t anything that needs to be saved and is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. logonui stack overflow

2. sihost overflow