Windows 10: Overlay icons for other applications not showing in OneDrive folder

Discus and support Overlay icons for other applications not showing in OneDrive folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello,I'm having an issue with OneDrive folder and TortoiseSVN overlay icons although it seems that it happens with other applications too.If I open a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Javier Santofimia, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Overlay icons for other applications not showing in OneDrive folder

Hello,I'm having an issue with OneDrive folder and TortoiseSVN overlay icons although it seems that it happens with other applications too.If I open a folder with Tortoise SVN overlay icons inside OneDrive folder, the overlay icons are not shown, and since OneDrive icons are shown in Status column now, there should be no problem on showing them:If I open this same folder copied in outside OneDrive folder, the overlay icons are shown as they should:I have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432No

:)

Javier Santofimia, Oct 14, 2021

2. OneDrive for Business Icon Overlays in Windows Server 2016 Not Working

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

The issue may not be related with the Windows Server 2016.

Here is an article for your reference: Sync icon overlays are missing from OneDrive and OneDrive
    for Business.

Please check the workarounds in the article and I would suggest you first download the wizard and follow the steps to see the result.

Best Regards,

Gloria

Gloria Gong MSFT, Oct 14, 2021
  3. Diven73 Win User
    Icon Overlays less than 15

Hi fantasiom,

I read from an article on ghacks (link below) that there are two places in the registry that the overlays are being "loaded" from.

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIcon‌OverlayIdentifiers
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explor‌er\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

Fix Sync icons not showing up in Explorer - gHacks Tech News

The second location is for 32-bit applications running on 64-bit windows. OneDrive is storing the same 6 ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers in both locations. I suspect this is because the OneDrive client is 32-bit, and windows explorer is 64-bit. It appears that
    the six overlays in the Wow6432Node are loaded first leaving 9 in the other location.

OneDrive will ask to "install icons" if it not all it's icons are not in the top 15. Installing icons means adding spaces in front of the name in the registry so it appears first alphabetically.

I would suggest adding spaces in front of the "BoxSyncNotSynced", "BoxSyncProblem", and "BoxSyncSynced" registry keys so they appear ahead of or next after the six OneDrive overlay icons. I don't use file locking so I don't feel the other two BoxSync icons
    are useful.

Essentially the problem is that the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers is limited to 15 and One Drive is setup to use 12 of them currently. OneDrive has introduced a new status column instead of overlay icons, but it seems for now this is limited to files-on-demand
    functionality.

Diven73, Oct 14, 2021
  4. Mcd73165 Win User

Overlay icons for other applications not showing in OneDrive folder

OneDrive Green Checkmarks (icon overlays) disappeared

If this is normal then when did it change from showing the green checkmark icon overlays on the OneDrive icon itself in Windows Explorer and on the folders within OneDrive. Please look at the thread titled OneDrive which shows the picture of how it used to look. Thanks.
    Mark

Mcd73165, Oct 14, 2021
Thema:

Overlay icons for other applications not showing in OneDrive folder

1. Overlay icons for other applications not showing in OneDrive folder - Similar Threads - Overlay icons applications

2. OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays: I use TortoiseGit which uses shell overlays for indicating file status. It is the most important application for me which uses overlays. OneDrive is constantly stealing the priority by adding spaces in front of the OneDrive ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers registry keys. Is there...
  3. OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays: I use TortoiseGit which uses shell overlays for indicating file status. It is the most important application for me which uses overlays. OneDrive is constantly stealing the priority by adding spaces in front of the OneDrive ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers registry keys. Is there...
  4. OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. OneDrive - Registry Folder Overlays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive - Registry Folder Overlays: I use Dropbox and do not use OneDrive. In order to ensure the Dropbox folder overlays are displayed, I need to delete the registry entries for the OneDrive folder overlays because they appear above have a higher priority than the Dropbox overlays. That's fine, but EVERY TIME...
  6. OneDrive - Registry Folder Overlays

OneDrive - Registry Folder Overlays: I use Dropbox and do not use OneDrive. In order to ensure the Dropbox folder overlays are displayed, I need to delete the registry entries for the OneDrive folder overlays because they appear above have a higher priority than the Dropbox overlays. That's fine, but EVERY TIME...
  7. How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?: I'd like to uniquely identify the shortcuts vs actual files. Until OneDrive, the small arrow overlay was helpful. Now the OneDrive 'sync status' is overlaid on top so every icon looks the same.Is there a solution?...
  8. How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?

How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?: I'd like to uniquely identify the shortcuts vs actual files. Until OneDrive, the small arrow overlay was helpful. Now the OneDrive 'sync status' is overlaid on top so every icon looks the same.Is there a solution?...
  9. Icon overlays from shell extensions not showing in OneDrive folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icon overlays from shell extensions not showing in OneDrive folders: I've downloaded the link shell extension, which among other things is supposed to show special icon overlays for hard links and symbolic links like this:However, these icon overlays don't show in OneDrive folders that is C:\users\myname\OneDrive and its subfolders:In the FAQ...
  10. OneDrive overlay on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive overlay on desktop icons: I have some - not all - desktop icons that have what I think is the OneDrive overlay on them, a white circle with a tick. And, I'd like to remove the overlay. I know there are techniques for doing that, I'm just wondering why they're so hard to get rid of. The icons are all...