Windows 10: Overlimit shock events, time to replace HD ?

Discus and support Overlimit shock events, time to replace HD ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I ran a hwinfo on a 2012 laptop, still a very capable machine, all S.M.A.R.T. logs are green/OK but there is a strange message (not sure what it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by roy111, Nov 29, 2017.

1. roy111 Win User

Overlimit shock events, time to replace HD ?

I ran a hwinfo on a 2012 laptop, still a very capable machine, all S.M.A.R.T. logs are green/OK but there is a strange
    message (not sure what it means):

Overlimit shock events: 62

what's that?

Overlimit shock events, time to replace HD ? [​IMG]

time to replace the HD?

:)

roy111, Nov 29, 2017

2. Windows 10 Not Installing - Reserved Partition Problem

How about if you reconnect the other SSD?

Did you take static shock precautions when you replaced the SSD the first time?

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 29, 2017
  3. "AccelerometerSt.exe" error message 0xc000007b after installing Windows 10 - help?!

Suspect you have an HP. AccelerometerST.exe is HP's HD shock protection. You should simply re-install it from the computer makers cd (Or their site)

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 29, 2017
  4. Overlimit shock events, time to replace HD ?

Hi roy111

If you google "Shock Events HDD" you will see a few different names for this. Basically your device detected a Shock. I imagine Overlimit means it exceed a set point and quite possibly perform some action with the heads to prevent damage. Given this is a laptop I would say it is not unusually to have a shock, maybe even a few more given it is five years old. Laptops can lead a tough life.

Of course 62 might say you want to be a little more gentle.

Backups never hurt anyone.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 29, 2017
  5. roy111 Win User
    I'll try , Thanks!

roy111, Nov 30, 2017
  6. They don't build them like they use too. Bet if this had been a new device there would be pieces lying about.

Good luck and think about backups.

We have great tutorial on Macrium Reflect which allows you to image your drive. Should your disk die at some point you pop in the boot disk and restore the Image to your new drive. Boom you're back in business.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 30, 2017
  7. roy111 Win User
    Given my heavy hands i'll consider an ssd, thanks for the advice about backups

roy111, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Overlimit shock events, time to replace HD ?

1. Overlimit shock events, time to replace HD ? - Similar Threads - Overlimit shock events

2. Computer “Death Shock”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer “Death Shock”: Since December of 2024, sudden “death shocks” have occurred while using my PC. These are usually triggered while performing certain intensive tasks such as: Opening multiple audio files within a short period of timeConstantly replaying a multitrack session in a DAWHaving two...
  3. Computer “Death Shock”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer “Death Shock”: Since December of 2024, sudden “death shocks” have occurred while using my PC. These are usually triggered while performing certain intensive tasks such as: Opening multiple audio files within a short period of timeConstantly replaying a multitrack session in a DAWHaving two...
  4. Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory: I am planning to upgrade my HP Envy x360 laptop by installing an SSD and 16 GB RAM. I already made a WindowsImage Backup and installed it in portable drive to recover the Windows 10 OS, programs and files from the hard drive to be replaced. What are the steps I need to follow...
  5. Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory: I am planning to upgrade my HP Envy x360 laptop by installing an SSD and 16 GB RAM. I already made a WindowsImage Backup and installed it in portable drive to recover the Windows 10 OS, programs and files from the hard drive to be replaced. What are the steps I need to follow...
  6. Replace hd and win10

Replace hd and win10: Acer 7551-7422 hard drive totally dead. They have never backed up the computer. The computer did upgrade quite a while back from Windows 7 home premium to Windows 10. I am installing a new ssd. I was told I needed to reinstall Win7 then do an upgrade but for some reason that...
  7. Replacing the HD

Replacing the HD: I'd like to replace my hard disk with an SSD in order to improve performance. How can I do that and preserve my Windows, Office and other licences, as well as the installed apps, etc.? Thanks Marco...
  8. Replacing notebook HD with SSD (use HD for internal storage)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing notebook HD with SSD (use HD for internal storage): A mobile workstation came with 750 GB HD and 32 GB flash cache. https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...tation/5387509 There are two HD bays. One has the HD in a chassis and the other is empty (no chassis). The 32 GB SSD is flash cache. It cannot be used for storage. The...
  9. Shock Wave Flash

Shock Wave Flash: How do I get Shock Wave Flash off my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shock-wave-flash/0dc9e83f-e41c-4a3c-b942-b6f079cceca9
  10. Replacing HD with SSD - Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing HD with SSD - Not Recognized: I'm trying to replace my 1TB HD with a similar size SanDisk SSD. I plan to use Apricorn Ez Gig IV to clone the HD to the SSD. I cannot get the SSD to show as a valid drive on File Explorer and the software shows the drive but says it cannot find it. I can see the new drive in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. overlimit shock events

2. overlimit shock event

3. over limit shock events

4. overlimit shock events: 3,
  5. Overlimit Shock Events: 11