Windows 10: Overscan on second monitor

Discus and support Overscan on second monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello all, For the past two weeks I've been dealing with some overscan on my second monitor, and it's quite frustrating. Everything's too wide for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by De Vries, Dec 30, 2016.

1. De Vries Win User

Overscan on second monitor

Hello all,

For the past two weeks I've been dealing with some overscan on my second monitor, and it's quite frustrating. Everything's too wide for my screen. I use a laptop and a duplicated second monitor, but only on the latter I'm experiencing this issue.

It first occurred after messing around with the resolution of a game I was playing. After restarting the game I noticed that, although my desktop and everything else (e.g. Chrome) was messed up, except for the game. Naturally, I tried to revert the settings to whatever they were before, but the only thing that happened was that now the game is messed up too. Not that I care too much about that though, I mostly care about everything else (like my desktop), but it's odd nonetheless.

So far, I've tried adjusting my screen resolution and the scaling of text and apps in Windows, but to no avail. I did read about people having this overscan issue on TV's, but my second monitor is a PC monitor (Iiyama B2283HS-b1) and not a TV. It's connected through a VGA-cable, if that makes any difference.

Does anybody have any clue as to how to fix this?

:)

De Vries, Dec 30, 2016
  2. Isha Soni Win User

Second monitor overscan with Win 10

Hi,

I apologize for the delay in response.

I would like you to run the Intel Driver Update Utility, it helps to detect the latest Intel driver for your device and install it.

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

Let us know the results. Please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Dec 30, 2016
  3. Second monitor overscan with Win 10

Thank you Deepak. This is helpful but how do I locate the driver installation program in Win 10?

M

MarkIwanowski, Dec 30, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It should be in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. I don't have an external monitor connected at the moment so you options might be different. It's either under scaling under the General Settings tab, or the advanced tab under the General Settings, or the underscan setting under the custom resolution tab.

Overscan on second monitor [​IMG]

Overscan on second monitor [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2016
  5. De Vries Win User
    Thanks, I've been looking for something like this for days now! I see the exact same menus as in the pictures above, but unfortunately, the problem persists. The monitor's standard resolution is 1920x1080, 60 Hz, but when I move the underscan slider the monitor automatically goes on 'auto adjust' mode and the overscan is still there. I'm not much of a computer expert, but that seems to indicate that it's not a Windows issue I'm having. Also, I find it strange that the standard 1920x1080 no longer works on the monitor as that is what it's meant to be displaying. The slider says it'll create a custom resolution, but I shouldn't actually be needing that, right?

De Vries, Dec 30, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You should not need the custom resolution. Have you looked at the settings on the monitor itself?

NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2016
  7. De Vries Win User
    I have. There are a couple of options in the monitor's menus:
    1) There are a couple of menus that don't appear to be relevant here, such as luminance, colour, audio, etc. There's a menu called 'miscellaneous' as well, with a greyed out option called 'display mode', which is set to 'full'. This cannot be changed though.
    2) There's a geometry menu, in which there are four sliders: horizontal position, vertical position, pixel clock and phase. The first three are set at 50 (on a scale from 0-100), the last on is set at 47 (on a scale from 0-50). I can move all the sliders, but since bits of the screen fall off on both the left and right side, this won't fix the issue.

I reckon the auto adjust option would usually solve these issues, but that doesn't work here either.

De Vries, Dec 30, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I notice you have dual graphics on the laptop - maybe need to be looking at Nvidia instead of Intel for settings?

I know I've seen this when I had my laptop connected to a monitor/TV before - going to have to connect it again and see if I can duplicate it *Think

NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2016
  9. De Vries Win User
    That'd be wonderful *Smile I haven't found anything in there, but I may well have overlooked something, as I did with the Intel menu. You've been a big help so far already, so thank you for that.

De Vries, Dec 30, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Another question, when you move the mouse to the edge of the screen, I am assuming it disappears off the edge of the monitor rather than the desktop on the monitor moving to keep the cursor on the screen?

NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2016
  11. topgundcp Win User
    • Open Device Manager and under Monitor, check if you have the driver for the monitor installed. If not, download from here: iiyama - ProLite B2283HS-B1
    • Use an HDMI or DVI-D cable for digital signal instead of VGA (analog signal)

topgundcp, Dec 30, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2016
  13. De Vries Win User

I can't use an HDMI cable with my laptop I'm afraid. The VGA cable used to work though, the problem is that it doesn't anymore. Also, I have the latest drivers installed.

Yes, it does. It also takes the cursor a short moment before returning to my desktop when I move it as far off the screen as possible.

The manual speaks of a test file that you can download off of the Iiyama website, but the only thing that can be found there is some test software on the 'Downloads' page. I downloaded the test program and ran it, but it doesn't support the resolution I'm using (it contains a list of resolutions; the one closest to mine is 1920x1440 (instead of 1920x1080)). I went with the 1920x1440 resolution even though it's not the one I'm using just to see what'd happen, but it crashed my computer.

De Vries, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Overscan on second monitor - Similar Threads - Overscan second monitor

2. Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Second Monitor: Why when i tab out the things are on my secondary monitor. aswell when i launch my games its goes to my secondary monitor and the taskbar is on my secondary monitor. How do i change it so that everything would be on my primary...
  3. overscanning/ bad scaling

overscanning/ bad scaling: So I recently got a new tv to use as my main monitor, I decided to take my old main and use it in portrait mode on the side of the new monitor. now before setting it to portrait, my setting for the screen were perfect, no over scanning , no needing display zoomed in, the text...
  4. Second Monitor issues - There is no second monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second Monitor issues - There is no second monitor: I have had Windows 10 for a while but now for some reason it thinks I have two monitors (which I dont) and when I try to troubleshoot and go through settings, the settings window is now opening on this invisible second monitor.. Anyone know what to do? I'm not that great...
  5. Second Monitor

Second Monitor: using a second monitor the app font-size is so small I can hardly read it. How can I change the app font-size on the second monitor with also changing the host PC. Second monitor is by Virzen....
  6. Overscan

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Overscan: My display driver does not allow me to adjust for overscan to make my display fit my screen. I have tried updating the driver but get nothing, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/overscan/49e174bd-0bba-427a-9b8c-8bd67ec47a10
  7. Overscan

Overscan: I am running integrated graphics off of a ryzen 3 2200g connected to my tv via hdmi and inside of the radeon settings there is no option to manually scale, there is a ton of overscan and i need help. The layout and resolution is grayed out in display settings...
  8. second monitor

second monitor: hp laptop wont connect to second screan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-monitor/673a9e9f-730c-42c1-855a-a35251f3fe41
  9. second monitor

second monitor: does not detect second monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-monitor/656e1bb1-f609-495a-9a68-65984e9a9f85
  10. IE 11 overscans the Monitor screen size

in Browsers and Email
    IE 11 overscans the Monitor screen size: I have looked at many reports but they seem to have missed the actual issue. It is NOT that the ZOOM is wrong, the width of the WEB Page is correct but the height slightly over scans. ( if I adjust the ZOOM it changes the TEXT, etc sizes but NOT the overall screen size )...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. second monitor overscaned