Windows 10: Overwrite big files in OneDrive without downloading them

Discus and support Overwrite big files in OneDrive without downloading them in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a bunch of big files (PSD files that I use in photoshop) that are synched up to OneDrive. I also have some of those files backed up on an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by janos.elek, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Overwrite big files in OneDrive without downloading them

Hi,

I have a bunch of big files (PSD files that I use in photoshop) that are synched up to OneDrive. I also have some of those files backed up on an external drive from where I used to edit them. Whenever I crate a new version of the a given file - with the same name - I want to update the copy in OneDrive using the OneDrive folder integrated to Explorer. As I set the files in OneDrive to On-Demand, they are usually not available on any of the local drives. Therefore, when I try to overwrite them with a modified one, the OneDrive application downloads them first, then asks whether I'd like to overwrite the files or not, after I click yes, the files are overwritten and uploaded to OneDrive. At the end I can set again the only On-Demand flag for the files.

My question is that, how can I overwrite my files on OneDrive without downloading them? I suppose the download is necessary to compare the to be copied with the already uploaded file in order to decided whether two is the same or not, and whether an overwrite is necessary.

Let me illustrate my problem with an example: I have a file named "photo.psd" on my OneDrive. The size of this file is relatively large (~1Gb). In my OneDrive folder I've set for this file the On-Demand attribute, therefore it's not available on my local disk. I have a copy of the same file on an external hard drive. After I edit the copy on the external drive I'd like to overwrite the original file. When I open two Explorer, one showing my OneDrive folder the other showing the copy on my external drive, and drag and drop the copy, then first the original photo.psd is downloaded then the window appears asking whether I'd like to overwrite a file and only after I click yes start the upload process. How can I avoid the unnecessary download, when I want only to overwrite the file?

Thanks,

Janos

:)

janos.elek, Dec 5, 2019

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Dec 5, 2019
  3. Zoltan B Win User
    OneDrive uploads a new file but then overwrites it with the previous version one minute later

Hi Greg,

Thanks for helping out so quickly. It's taken a couple of days to go through those steps because each time (first unlink-relink, then reinstalling OneDrive) has required it to compare 50k+ files to get back in sync.

Anyway, now completed and the same problem is still happening - it uploads the updated file, then a minute later downloads and overwrites with the previous version. I'm on the latest Windows release (I think - 1903) and OneDrive. Let me know if you need
    any more info from me (eg screen recording) and I welcome your further thoughts.

Kind regards,

Zoltan

Zoltan B, Dec 5, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Overwrite big files in OneDrive without downloading them

Copy file from download to documents does not prompt to overwrite file, instead creates file with "copy" in name

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you don’t receive the overwrite file pop-up when you copy a file from one location to another, we will look into this for you. However, we would like to know if the issue occurs only with the folders that are synced to OneDrive.

As you have already tried to Restore File Explorer to defaults, I suggest you to uncheck the option folder merge conflicts option in File Explorer options and see if that makes any difference. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + E, to open
      File Explorer
    2. Now, click on View and click on
      Options
    3. Select View tab from the
      Folder Options
      window.
    4. Under Advanced settings, scroll down and uncheck the option
      Hide folder merge conflicts.
    5. Click on Apply and OK.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

Overwrite big files in OneDrive without downloading them

1. Overwrite big files in OneDrive without downloading them - Similar Threads - Overwrite big files

2. onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file: I have a chat app that stores its history in a database, which is located in some folder that managed by onedrive. but a couple of days ago, onedrive have had some issues with syncing, today I reset it via onedrive.exe /reset, then it started syncing files.after reset,...
  3. onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file: I have a chat app that stores its history in a database, which is located in some folder that managed by onedrive. but a couple of days ago, onedrive have had some issues with syncing, today I reset it via onedrive.exe /reset, then it started syncing files.after reset,...
  4. Windows 11 big problems with downloading / installation of big files / programms

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 big problems with downloading / installation of big files / programms: Hi,It is notable that I used Windows 10 before this without any problems. I didn't moved my desktop PC and I didn't changed anything else on it's hardware. So it is the exact same PC which run under Windows 10 without any issues. The PC is connected to the network over...
  5. COOL Ransomware and the file overwrite my onedrive files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    COOL Ransomware and the file overwrite my onedrive files: Greetings, Recently my computer was hit by cool ransomware and encrypt all of my files. I was shocked that my onedrive keep syncing those file and overwrite the backups.Is there any way to restore it? Thank you...
  6. Slow download on onedrive without VPN

Slow download on onedrive without VPN: So i have this problem where if I download my files from onedrive it is very slow. It is present on onedrive app on windows and the website. I have 1000/500 internet and the download speeds are like 1-5 Mbps. If I turn on a VPN it gets must faster and goes to 30 Mbps. How do...
  7. Can I upload files to Onedrive then download them on another computer.

Can I upload files to Onedrive then download them on another computer.: Hi, I've recently bought a new Asus Sonic Master laptop Windows 10 home 2004 version and want to copy across some photos, short video clips and a few document folders. I read that you could do this by uploading them to onedrive. My old HP laptop (windows 10) appeared to do...
  8. Onedrive overwrites newer files

Onedrive overwrites newer files: Somehow after a while onedrive started working on my surface and laptop and it overwrote newer files including several excel spreadsheets. I was under the impression that files would not be overwrote if newer files existed....
  9. Problems to delete a big file in OneDrive

Problems to delete a big file in OneDrive: I have a file with size of 1.69 GB and cannot delete it in OneDrive This file is not synch with my local drive. I tried Edge and Internet Explorer - also tried new and classic OneDrive UI Microsoft asked for logs but did not send any solution (yet) I hope to have any...
  10. I turned off files on demand in onedrive, onedrive downloaded them, but can not any of them.

I turned off files on demand in onedrive, onedrive downloaded them, but can not any of them.: the onedrive icon on task bar showed it was downloading over 6gig, when I look in the Onedrive directory all, all directories have green circle with white check mark but I can not find any of the using the file explorer, opening the my pc section on the left. any idea how...