Windows 10: Overwrite exFAT format of 8TB external drive with NTFS?

Discus and support Overwrite exFAT format of 8TB external drive with NTFS? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an external WD 8TB My Book: My Book - External Hard Drive | Western Digital (WD) It is formated in exFat. Could I do a quick format with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Enter, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Enter Win User

Overwrite exFAT format of 8TB external drive with NTFS?

Enter, Sep 26, 2017
  2. jditmer0 Win User

Unclear intentions from Microsoft on USB flash system image backup

I was able to get it to backup to the external drive by formatting the drive as NTFS. It gave me that message too when I had it formatted as exFAT

jditmer0, Sep 26, 2017
  3. W10 File History Not Backing Up Internal Secondary Drive.

Here is my issue exactly.

I have two internal drives. One SSD and a secondary 8TB drive containing all my media.

I have one 8TB External drive as well, which is my main backup drive.

I use File History to backup my two internal drives onto my external.

I go into the W10 settings, Backup options. Added my secondary drive (M:\) to the 'Back Up These Folders' option. (also not I added my secondary internal drive to my Library.

Boom, I hit the 'Back Up Now' button. Everything seems like it's operating perfectly. Except the problem is nothing from my internal secondary drives is copying over to my Backup drive. With no warning either.

I even checked my event logs and I see this happening:

File/directory was not backed up due to being encrypted or insufficient permissions:

M:\System Volume Information

If you want it to be protected, remove encryption or ask your system administrator to give you access to this file/directory.

My secondary internal was never encrypted. I simply copied all my previous info from my older drives onto my new internal 8TB.

Long story short. My File History will not backup my internal 8TB drive to my External 8TB. It only sees my OS drive (SSD).

I'm clueless at this point.

Running W10.

Internal OS SSD is Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256BG

Internal 8TB Drive is HGST 8TB Nas Drive

External 8TB Backup Drive is Seagate Backup+

I have full admin control of all my drives.

David Paplia, Sep 26, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It won't cause any drawbacks other than erasing everything that is currently on the drive. I would start with the clean command in diskpart. Just make sure you have the correct drive selected!

NavyLCDR, Sep 26, 2017
  5. Enter Win User
    Thank you!

Unfortunately I do not have any idea of diskpart. Why is it better to use that one, why not the Win partition manager? The clean command? To delete the content of the drive? Anf after formating? Why?

Is there an adavantage of using NTFS? There are some programs (indexing) obviously running much faster with NTFS.

Many thanks again

Enter, Sep 26, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The clean command just resets everything so nothing left behind would interfere with it in the future. You run it from a command prompt (admin) or "run as Administrator" command prompt. Then:

Diskpart
    List disk
    Select disk # -replace # with the actual number of the 8tb drive
    Clean - this will erase the selected disk
    Convert gpt
    Create part pri
    Format fs=ntfs quick
    Assign
    Exit
    Exit

NavyLCDR, Sep 27, 2017
  7. Enter Win User
    Thank you very much!

I am afraid I have any idea of such commands and how to serve that command prompt, very sorry.

Enter, Sep 27, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Main difference between exfat and ntfs is that exfat drives can be read on a mac as well. If you do not need that functionality, ntfs is generally more efficient.

cereberus, Sep 27, 2017
  9. Enter Win User
    Yes, I do not need the drive for Mac, for Win only.

What does it do better?

Enter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Overwrite exFAT format of 8TB external drive with NTFS? - Similar Threads - Overwrite exFAT format

2. formatting external hard drive with 8tb?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    formatting external hard drive with 8tb?: Hello everyone.Wish you all a nice day.I need to format an external hard drive Seagate 8 TB, however, when I go to format I see the capacity is only 7.27 TB. Where is the rest 8TB, and what would it be the proper allocation unit size for such a drive?Thanks....
  3. formatting external hard drive with 8tb?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    formatting external hard drive with 8tb?: Hello everyone.Wish you all a nice day.I need to format an external hard drive Seagate 8 TB, however, when I go to format I see the capacity is only 7.27 TB. Where is the rest 8TB, and what would it be the proper allocation unit size for such a drive?Thanks....
  4. formatting external hard drive with 8tb?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External hard drive won't appear after formating from exFAT to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive won't appear after formating from exFAT to NTFS: I formated my external HDD to NTFS to be able to install games on it but now it won't appear in my folders, got any tips? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-wont-appear-after-formating/37698120-4618-46a0-bec9-fa450a414280
  6. External hard drive won't appear after formating from exFAT to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive won't appear after formating from exFAT to NTFS: I formated my external HDD to NTFS to be able to install games on it but now it won't appear in my folders, got any tips? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-wont-appear-after-formating/37698120-4618-46a0-bec9-fa450a414280
  7. How do I convert an NTFS external HDD to exFAT without formatting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I convert an NTFS external HDD to exFAT without formatting: Pretty self explanatory. I want to use my external HDD on more devices, like Macs, but I know OSX or Ubuntu Linux can't read or write to NTFS drives. I just want to know if it's possible to convert it from NTFS to exFAT without formatting the thing, and if it is I want to...
  8. Format external backup drive for NTFS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Format external backup drive for NTFS: I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to this drive because it is not formatted for NTFS. How do I format this drive for NTFS?...
  9. NTFS formatted USB drive cannot be safely removed - use exFAT?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS formatted USB drive cannot be safely removed - use exFAT?: I have a problem with NTFS formatted USB thumbdrives which often gets the "cannot be safely removed" error when I try to eject the drive. The thumbdrive in device manager is set to quick removal policy by default so I don't have to change it but I still keep running into this...
  10. NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD: Hi, I have a new SSD Drive (128GB) and I was experiencing some poor performance. I read in another older thread about it and I want to post here my findings. Windows has a very good utility to check performance of Drives : Elevated Comand Prompt > Winsat Disk -Drive X (X...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. seagate 8tb expansion format ntfs or exfat

2. formatted an exfat ext drive to ntfs now it wont work

3. exfat or ntfs for external usb ssd drive for backing up

4. format 8tb ntfs or exfat