Windows 10: Overwrite file location with storage drive (file explorer)

Discus and support Overwrite file location with storage drive (file explorer) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Managed to overwrite "3D Objects" file with the hard drive disk (I), as I was trying to reroute file locations away from the full capacity SSD (C). Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ch3zGr8r, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Ch3zGr8r Win User

Overwrite file location with storage drive (file explorer)

Managed to overwrite "3D Objects" file with the hard drive disk (I), as I was trying to reroute file locations away from the full capacity SSD (C).

Is it possible to restore the file back to 3D Objects, or is it permanently transformed?

Overwrite file location with storage drive (file explorer) [​IMG]

Refer to system 2 specs.

:)

Ch3zGr8r, Feb 16, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

It's an .exe right? Explorer probably read its icon (to a cache) when it was a "small" file and now call the quits when it finds "such a big" file.

If you want to delete it, use the console after killing explorer, you can run the console from TaskManager (Application -> New Task -> cmd). You might want to try copy the file to a different location (copy, not cut) and see if explorer can handle it in the new location before deleting it.

temp02, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Copy file from download to documents does not prompt to overwrite file, instead creates file with "copy" in name

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you don’t receive the overwrite file pop-up when you copy a file from one location to another, we will look into this for you. However, we would like to know if the issue occurs only with the folders that are synced to OneDrive.

As you have already tried to Restore File Explorer to defaults, I suggest you to uncheck the option folder merge conflicts option in File Explorer options and see if that makes any difference. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + E, to open
      File Explorer
    2. Now, click on View and click on
      Options
    3. Select View tab from the
      Folder Options
      window.
    4. Under Advanced settings, scroll down and uncheck the option
      Hide folder merge conflicts.
    5. Click on Apply and OK.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 16, 2020
  4. Overwrite file location with storage drive (file explorer)

File Explorer- no drive letters are listed.

The File Explorer in Windows 10, shows the Frequent folders list and Recent files list by default. You can view the drives by clicking on This PC tab on the left site of the File Explorer. But if you wish the File Explorer
    to open This PC showing drives list by default, then follow these steps:

1. In Windows 10, open a new File Explorer window and click the View tab from the ribbon toolbar.

2. In the View tab, find and click on Options, listed by default on the far right side of the ribbon.

3. In the Folder Options window, make sure you’re on the General tab and then find the drop-down box labeled Open File Explorer To. Click the drop-down menu and select This PC. Click OK to
    save your changes and close the window. Now your File Explorer opens to Drives list by default.

Hope this helps!

JohnCalton, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

Overwrite file location with storage drive (file explorer)

1. Overwrite file location with storage drive (file explorer) - Similar Threads - Overwrite file location

2. External hard drives not overwriting the files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drives not overwriting the files: I have 2 drives that I have been using for manual backing up of my photos. I save to drive 1 and copy over the updated folders to drive 2. I just noticed that now when I drag the folder from drive 1 to drive 2 it no longer asks if I want to keep or replace the folder, and it...
  3. External hard drives not overwriting the files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drives not overwriting the files: I have 2 drives that I have been using for manual backing up of my photos. I save to drive 1 and copy over the updated folders to drive 2. I just noticed that now when I drag the folder from drive 1 to drive 2 it no longer asks if I want to keep or replace the folder, and it...
  4. Storage Space and File Location Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Space and File Location Question: I got a work desktop last Christmas after using a laptop for a while and got the notification that I no longer had enough OneDrive space. Something I did not realize was that every document and photo I created on my new computer was synced up to OneDrive as someone who works...
  5. Storage Space and File Location Question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Space and File Location Question: I got a work desktop last Christmas after using a laptop for a while and got the notification that I no longer had enough OneDrive space. Something I did not realize was that every document and photo I created on my new computer was synced up to OneDrive as someone who works...
  6. Storage Space and File Location Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Storage Spaces drive not showing up in file explorer

Storage Spaces drive not showing up in file explorer: Hi I had two hard drives that were set up as a storage space. This drive no longer appears in file explorer. I can see the physical drives in device manager and the Microsoft storage space, The drive shows as unallocated space. Is there some way to easily resolve this?...
  8. Recent Files/Locations in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent Files/Locations in File Explorer: Hi guys, I am not sure who made the decision at Microsoft to remove the recent file/locations from file explorer in Windows 10 but it was a terrible idea. I have searched how to apply this but I can't seem to get it to work, including the link below. I work for a large...
  9. File Explorer show 2 drive location for sandisk drive

File Explorer show 2 drive location for sandisk drive: duplicate usb drives in windows 10 file explorer My Sandisk that I use for storage on my Surface Pro 3 shows up as a primary drive and a sub drive. The 2 drives show different data on it. One has a lot more files than the other. Which is why this is an issue. I am trying...
  10. Keep inadvertently overwriting files in Explorer

Keep inadvertently overwriting files in Explorer: Problem Want to save a file Open folder in Explorer Cursor already highlighting a file (no idea why) File name of that file thus sits in the File Name window Don't check this, because I'm always time pressured and don't expect it Hit Save bottom, file to be saved now...