Windows 10: Owner vs Administrator

Discus and support Owner vs Administrator in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What is the difference between an "Owner" and "Administrator?" Are both needed? Can both be the same with same information? Thanks!... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Eg1919, May 23, 2020.

1. Eg1919 Win User

Owner vs Administrator

What is the difference between an "Owner" and "Administrator?" Are both needed? Can both be the same with same information? Thanks!

:)

Eg1919, May 23, 2020

2. Would like to change from owner to administrator

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to change from owner to administrator. Under control panel, user account, user account, manage account, change account, change account type. Under all that is "Choose a new account type for owner ." I am listed
    as administrator. But at sign in at start up I listed as owner. As well in Power Shell ISE How I do change that ? Thank you

CharlesLaMonte, May 23, 2020
  3. Unknown User as Owner

Hi Bree, thanks for stepping up to address this issue.
    As far as I know my External Drive has only been used on my PC.

I could try to implement your suggestion and take Ownership of those Folders.
    The "Take Ownership" link is present in my right click menu, but I'm currently logged in with my Microsoft account, so perhaps it would be better if I went Properties --> Security --> Advanced & set the Owner to Administrators, no?!

Although my mind is bugged with a new question now.
    If I change the Owner & later on I have to restore a backup (Acronis on a CD) won't I encounter problems then?

witten1972, May 23, 2020
  4. Owner vs Administrator

Administrator privileges

Hi James,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

From the description of the issue, I understand that you are unable to take full ownership of the files and folders.

I would recommend you to see if you are logged in administrator account, if not then enable it. Please follow the below steps.

Step 1: If this issue is confined to all the files and folders in your computer then,

I would suggest you to enable the built in administrator account.

You need to run the command from an elevated command prompt. To do that follow the below steps:

• Press the Windows key + R from the keyboard to open the
      Run Command Dialog Box.

• Type cmd and right-click on the
      Command Prompt
      result that should appear.

• This opens a list of options at the bottom. Select
      Run as administrator

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt.

• Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes

Step 2: If the issue is confined to particular folder or file then follow the below steps.

Use the following procedure to fix this as long as you don't reboot your machine:

• Sign-in as an administrator on your computer.

• Navigate to the folder where you're having the problem. Right-click and select
      Properties from the pop-up menu.

• Under Properties | Security tab, click the
      Advanced button, then click "Change" owner on the
      Advanced Security Settings dialog (if you are already the owner, do this step anyway!), and in the resulting dialog enter whatever you want the owner to be

• Now a new check-box appears labeled "Replace owner on sub-containers and objects"; check it.

• Also check the box at the bottom "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object."

• Make sure under the Permission entries grid that your current account has Full control (if not Edit or Add your account to be listed with foll control). Finally hit
      Apply. This may take a while.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for any assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Owner vs Administrator

1. Owner vs Administrator - Similar Threads - Owner Administrator

2. Changing Owner after Installing new Windows 10 with new Product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing Owner after Installing new Windows 10 with new Product key: I was given a desktop computer with Windows 10 installed that came with the computer originally. I purchased and installed a new Windows 10 with a new product key so that I would have a valid Windows 10. I already have a Microsoft account with other computers that I own. I...
  3. How do I change the owner/administrator of my Windows 10 PC to my account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change the owner/administrator of my Windows 10 PC to my account?: I am listed as the Administrator in "Family & Other users" in settings, but somehow after letting my child use/sign in to his account on my PC he got listed as the owner/admin under "Your Info"? He is also listed as an "account used by other apps", with no option to remove...
  4. How do I sign in as an administrator when I am the owner.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I sign in as an administrator when I am the owner.: I want to download a product called Pointerfocus that I bought however it is saying that in order to make changes to the app I need to type in the admin user name and password. Why is it asking me this when I am the owner...
  5. Change registered owner and administrator

Change registered owner and administrator: How do I change my registered owner name? And, administrator name? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-registered-owner-and-administrator/4e9a905f-f5dc-42af-b829-b50e3d6d978e
  6. Would like to change from owner to administrator

Would like to change from owner to administrator: Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to change from owner to administrator. Under control panel, user account, user account, manage account, change account, change account type. Under all that is "Choose a new account type for owner ." I am listed as administrator....
  7. File access and permissions Owner, Administrator, Users etc.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File access and permissions Owner, Administrator, Users etc.: Under a fille group named "Documents" I have folders like Bank/Old Credit Union, new bank/new Credit Union CULC I took a screen capture and wanted to cut/paste from where it is now (Desktop) and put it in the subfolder "new Credit Union" after notice ="you will have to...
  8. Administrator doesn't have access to change owner in registry

Administrator doesn't have access to change owner in registry: Hello, the question is according to Windows 10 x64. I was trying to uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection and uninstaller shows an error - access denied to registry. I was trying to change permission manually in registry with Admin account, but no luck. Still error -...
  9. Unable to set new owner despite being administrator account and going through other forum...

Unable to set new owner despite being administrator account and going through other forum...: Hi, I have a Windows 10 Home system recently purchased from Dell. I am having problems installing some programs eg. Pagebreeze HTML editor due to inability of the program installation to access my C: . Upon trying to grant myself "Full Control" in the security/advanced tabs,...
  10. Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...: I'm running 64-bit Windows Pro on an Asus P5Q-EM MB with an Intel E8600 processor with 8 GB of PC2-6400 Ram. I've had a couple of unexpected shutdowns and restarts lately. I've got several different error types in my event log. The only one showing to be "critical" is the...