Windows 10: Ownership not applying to subfolders of 2nd harddrive?

Discus and support Ownership not applying to subfolders of 2nd harddrive? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I search about this and didn't found a solution for this headache i'm having What is going on: i have a second harddrive (not external/usb) and... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by jorjaofino, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Ownership not applying to subfolders of 2nd harddrive?

Hi, I search about this and didn't found a solution for this headache i'm having

What is going on: i have a second harddrive (not external/usb) and all my files on this is with wrong ownership
    So, i tried use the "take ownership" menu context helper and also the TakeownershipEx, but nothing worked for me.

I tried to change the drive ownership under the security settings from my harddrive (right click on icon > settings > security > Advanced...), have changed the it for full control of my adm account and my user elevated acc, with the container setting checkbox ennabled. Looks everything fine and i supose to have full access as windows state to me, but if i try to overwrite a file on this hdd i got errors and only can do this if i start the application i'm trying to overwrite the file as admin.

I'm running out of ideas here, individually change the permission of files i need to work is something that works, but i have hundred of files that need to be change and cannot change one by one, feels like a windows 10 bug or i missing something here?

My windows 10 have the anniversary installed and this is a clean install
    thanks.

:)

jorjaofino, Aug 8, 2016

2. Can't Access Either of My External Drives After 14393

Addendum to last, I can take ownership of individual folders, but there are thousands of subfolders. I need a way to take ownership of all folders and subfolders at once.

MichaelMasters, Aug 8, 2016
  3. ConiGL Win User
    Windows Defender Blocking Installations of Downloaded Apps

Some other settings in windows to be aware of is the read only access of the controlled folders that Defender is protecting.

replied on

A:

The folder itself is the issue because it sets all it's files to Read Only.

The files are not corrupt or broken. You can still Save As to Desktop.

You just have to change the attribute for the Document folder located in C:\users\user. (your user name)

Deselect Read Only and apply to all files and subfolders.

It's more an annoyance then an effect safety feature

Do this to all user folders

Open file explorer go to c:/ user/ your user name . open properties of Documents folder and uncheck the read only, a popup will ask if you want to apply to this folder and all subfolders. Confirm Attribute
    Changes/"Apply Changes to this folder, subfolders and files Documents folder will still have read only but it should change all files with in the folder.

Also

Check here to see if it will help. Second one says vista but is for all from Vista up.

How to Take Ownership of Files and Folders in Windows

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista

Take care and enjoy !!

ConiGL, Aug 8, 2016
  4. Ownership not applying to subfolders of 2nd harddrive?

found a way to get permissions working
    it is definitely a bug, why this is happens? dunno... it's microsoft... whatever let me say what i did

i repeated the steps of take ownership by right click on hdd icon > settings > security > advanced > changed the owner by retype my user on the list > check the two checkboxes (container and the other one) at the same time and apply > took some minutes to write the permisisons of all files and folders.

ALSO, i ran the TAKEOWN command on elevated prompt just right after this (i think this is what made me overwrite files again on that harddrive)

and voila, i was able to edit my old files writen on old windows installation
    this might be useful to someone: windows 7 - How would I use Takeown to take ownership of all folders on one drive? - Super User

jorjaofino, Aug 11, 2016
Thema:

Ownership not applying to subfolders of 2nd harddrive?

1. Ownership not applying to subfolders of 2nd harddrive? - Similar Threads - Ownership applying subfolders

2. Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders: When using Windows Explorer, I want all my folders to be viewed as Documents. i.e Name, file size, last updated, etc.I do have some music sub-folders, but I don't like the Music view. Name track number, title, etc.So I go to the parent folder, right click for the context...
  3. Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders: When using Windows Explorer, I want all my folders to be viewed as Documents. i.e Name, file size, last updated, etc.I do have some music sub-folders, but I don't like the Music view. Name track number, title, etc.So I go to the parent folder, right click for the context...
  4. Windows 10 search of all subfolders on harddrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 search of all subfolders on harddrive: Hello, In windows 10 V21H1: If I open up file explorer to a directory c:\subdir\ and search for text it will find the text located in c:\subdir\subdir2\. However, if I go to c:\ and run the same search for the same text with "all subfolders selected" in the ribbon it returns...
  5. Setting up 2nd harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting up 2nd harddrive: Hello, I just installed second drive and was using your instructions to move data from the C:\ drive to the new D:\ drive. And your instructions work fine for Downloads and Favorites I cant can't seem to move Documents or Pictures! They are listed as beening in the OneDrive...
  6. Changing the ownership of WindowsApps folder and subfolders/files

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Changing the ownership of WindowsApps folder and subfolders/files: So I've had this issue for a long while. I can change the permission of the main WindowsApps folder, and it tells me I can change the permissions for its contents to match the same, but it just.... doesn't. I mod games, and so I want to try my hand at modding files in this...
  7. Apply folder columns to all subfolders and a backup

in Windows 10 Support
    Apply folder columns to all subfolders and a backup: I'd like to have my music albums and movies in folders with 8-10 columns for every folder, like 500 folders with sub-sub-sub folders if you know what I mean. I need to apply manually these 8-10 columns for each folder I want to have it the way I want, and then if something...
  8. How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?: On windows 1809, with sfc.scannow giving no error, I run Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default(1).bat in order to reset everything then I run All_Folders_Use_Documents_Folder_Template(1).bat in order to make all folder views as document then I create my custom...
  9. apply list view to only all subfolders

in Windows 10 Customization
    apply list view to only all subfolders: How do I apply a view, specifically the "list" view, to only all of the subfolders of a folder without changing each one individually. 36806
  10. Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders: I've been reading up on applying Folder View settings to either All Folders or all folders of the same type, but neither of those is quite what I'm looking for. Specifically, I'd like to write my own utility that reads the folder view settings for any given folder (I...