Windows 10: Ownership of Account

Discus and support Ownership of Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Somehow my 17 year old son managed to replace his Gmail account as the owner of my profile file on my home computer. To sign into to get to my files I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by DMSully, Jan 17, 2022.

1. DMSully Win User

Ownership of Account

Somehow my 17 year old son managed to replace his Gmail account as the owner of my profile file on my home computer. To sign into to get to my files I now have to use his Gmail and password. All he admits to is doing is setting up a one note account so that he could print an assignment. I tried adding my account back in, but it set up a brand new profile. How did this happen and how do I undo it without losing all my files?

:)

DMSully, Jan 17, 2022
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Jan 17, 2022
  3. Ownership Issues

that will not hurt taking ownership, but I would also then look in the list of users on the ownership page and make sure your user account name is there with full permissions. Probably not.

even though you take ownership of an item, you may not be in the list of users with permissions.

first select disable inheritance, then select "ADD" in the list of users, and add your user account the same way you took ownership and select full permissions.

Then administrators may only have select permissions in the list. so after you disable inheritance, delete admins user. then select add again and select admins in the list and select full permissions

restart pc

seahawks65, Jan 17, 2022
  4. Ownership of Account

Take Ownership

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description of the issue, I understand that you are unable to take full ownership of the files and folders.

I would recommend you to see if you are logged in administrator account, if not then enable it. Please follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to enable the built in administrator account.

You need to run the command from an elevated command prompt. To do that you need to do the following:

• Press the Windows key t+ R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box
    • Enter cmd and right-click on the Command Prompt result that should appear.
    • This opens a list of options at the bottom. Select Run as administrator there.
    • Accept the UAC prompt
    • Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes
    Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 17, 2022
Thema:

Ownership of Account

1. Ownership of Account - Similar Threads - Ownership Account

2. "Your account requires attention Someone else has claimed ownership" All my MS accounts are...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Your account requires attention Someone else has claimed ownership" All my MS accounts are...: This just began popping up recently. Checking my log in activity shows CONTSTANT attempts to access my accounts. I have changed passwords, enabled 2 form ID, I use a VPN. Why do I keep seeing this?...
  3. "Your account requires attention Someone else has claimed ownership" All my MS accounts are...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Your account requires attention Someone else has claimed ownership" All my MS accounts are...: This just began popping up recently. Checking my log in activity shows CONTSTANT attempts to access my accounts. I have changed passwords, enabled 2 form ID, I use a VPN. Why do I keep seeing this?...
  4. My account got hacked and the email got changed, but i have proof of ownership of the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My account got hacked and the email got changed, but i have proof of ownership of the...: I talk with the microsoft support team but they didn t really ask for any of the things i said and they told me that they can only suspend tha account...
  5. My account got hacked and the email got changed, but i have proof of ownership of the...

My account got hacked and the email got changed, but i have proof of ownership of the...: I talk with the microsoft support team but they didn t really ask for any of the things i said and they told me that they can only suspend tha account...
  6. Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership: I have two laptops which have the same Microsoft account login *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.I would like to transfer one of the laptop Microsoft login to my family member. Appreciate you for guiding me on how to do the Microsoft account transfer in that...
  7. Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership

Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership: I have two laptops which have the same Microsoft account login *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.I would like to transfer one of the laptop Microsoft login to my family member. Appreciate you for guiding me on how to do the Microsoft account transfer in that...
  8. Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. How do I show ownership of my dad’s account even though he passed away?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I show ownership of my dad’s account even though he passed away?: My dad passed away in 2021 and was able to access his Microsoft account then. However, I have since forgotten the password and the “forgot password” option has me trying to recover his account. I do not have enough information to recover the account. I’ve tried to call...
  10. How do I show ownership of my dad’s account even though he passed away?

How do I show ownership of my dad’s account even though he passed away?: My dad passed away in 2021 and was able to access his Microsoft account then. However, I have since forgotten the password and the “forgot password” option has me trying to recover his account. I do not have enough information to recover the account. I’ve tried to call...