Windows 10: P key does not work when typing administrator password

Discus and support P key does not work when typing administrator password in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Sometimes when I need to type in my administrator password (to run a program for example), the P key does not work. It works fine when I type anywhere... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by VolTorian, Jul 11, 2019.

1. VolTorian Win User

P key does not work when typing administrator password

Sometimes when I need to type in my administrator password (to run a program for example), the P key does not work. It works fine when I type anywhere else, but it does not work in the password bar of the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" window. I have tried using on screen keyboard, but that does not work either. It used to be that closing some programs let it work again, but this last time I had closed everything and It still did not work, so I ended up relogging into my computer account. My antivirus scans do not bring anything up.

What could be causing one specific key to not work specifically when entering an administrator password like this?

:)

VolTorian, Jul 11, 2019

2. Forget hidden Administrator Account Password-Windows 10

Thank you for providing the details. You can change the password of the hidden admin account by following the steps below.

• Press Windows key and type "cmd".
    • Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Type this command: net user "UserName" "NewPassword".

Type "administrator" in the "Username" and type the password that you want in the
      "NewPassword".
    • Retype the password that you've created and close the Command Prompt.
    These steps are intended for local accounts. And since the hidden admin account is considered a local account, you can apply these steps.

Let us know how that turned out for you.

Dennis Mop, Jul 11, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    I can't change my account type to administrator

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

You can Enable the built in Administrator account in Windows 10, then create a new user account.

I suggest you to refer the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows+ X, select Command Prompt, and then click
      Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active: yes, and then press Enter.
    • Type net user administrator <Password>, and then press Enter.

Note In this command, <Password> represents the actual password that you want to set for the administrator account.
    • Type exit, and then press Enter.
    • Log off the current user account. And login and check the are you able to open the files

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jul 11, 2019
  4. P key does not work when typing administrator password

administrator password

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums. In this case I suggest you to try converting your account into administrator. Follow the steps below,

1. Search for Run on
      Windows search bar.
    2. Type netplwiz in the run window and click on OK.
    3. It would prompt you for password of admin account, put in the password.

If you have not set any password, just click on OK.
    4. Double click on the user account you want to change and go to
      Group Membership.
    5. Now select Administrator and click on
      Apply and OK.

To set up pay support for home users, please log on to
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus

Hope it helps

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Jul 11, 2019
Thema:

P key does not work when typing administrator password

1. P key does not work when typing administrator password - Similar Threads - key does typing

2. Administrative Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Administrative Password: Our administrative password is no longer working. We tried all of our other user/admin sign in passwords and none of them work. We need to allow Malwarebytes to update but need the admin password. Please explain simply how to do this. Much appreciated....
  3. Ctrl+P is not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ctrl+P is not working: Ctrl+P is not working. Other shortcuts are working fine, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+A. But Ctrl+P isn't working. It is not a particular application, it is not working in any application. Had the sticky keys off too, so no issue with the sticky keys. Tried uninstalling the drivers...
  4. Administrator password

Administrator password: My HP pavilion windows 10 is asking for an administrator password, please any help? 130229
  5. Windows key+V and Windows key+P not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows key+V and Windows key+P not working: The keyboard shortcuts to view clipboard history and pinned clipboard items isn't working for me as you can see I have it on but when I press the windows logo key+V nothing happens. and it is the keys, the windows key and V keys work just fine so I can't seem to think of a...
  6. Administrator password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator password: When asked for my administrator password, what do I need to do if I never set one up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrator-password/641ffbeb-febe-4e11-bb6c-d8a9b669489f
  7. To continue, type an administrator password, then click Yes"

To continue, type an administrator password, then click Yes": I am trying to change the admin settings on my windows 10 as it won't allow me to save certain files. I found several articles and followed prompts but when I try to edit to change the admin access, I am given the aforementioned prompt. There is nowhere to type the password...
  8. administrator password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    administrator password: I had the blinking screen happening and tried using the self help to uninstall my display adapter and reinstall it. When i tried to start my desktop in safe mode in Win 10 it asked me or my password and kept saying it was incorrect. then it said you had to sign in as an...
  9. administrative password

administrative password: I have an administrative password on laptop but can't seem to use it anymore to make changes to the laptop. What do I do to get it and were do you find it. I would put windows back on but I have files I must keep and I just need the password. What do I do? Please help!...
  10. Types of Administrator Accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Types of Administrator Accounts: Carbonite considers Local Admin. Acct. a "Users" account. It is configured needing me to be the Administrator. Is this the "Hidden" Administrator Account? Just re-set PC to factory settings, skipped registration etc. I named PC is about it and I am Local Account...