Windows 10: Packages and UWP app folders have become encrypted

Discus and support Packages and UWP app folders have become encrypted in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I don't not know how the encryption has happened. I have Windows 10 Home. The following folders have become encrypted C:\Program Files\WindowsApps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IsJustaGhost, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Packages and UWP app folders have become encrypted

I don't not know how the encryption has happened. I have Windows 10 Home.

The following folders have become encrypted

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Packages
    D:\WindowsApps
    D:\WpSystem\[user]\AppData\Local\Packages

New apps and files become encrypted. Odd thing is, I uninstalled XboxApp 2 days ago and reinstalled it and it's folder and files are not encrypted and I have noticed a gold lock on the minecraft folder for over a month.

There has been no viruses detected

The Microsoft Safety Scanner has detected nothing.

What could have happened and how to fix it?

:)

IsJustaGhost, Apr 16, 2019

2. Encrypting a folder

Hello Bill,

To encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Home, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder you want to encrypt and click Properties.
    • On the General tab, click Advanced.
    • Under Compress or Encrypt attributes, click Encrypt contents to secure data.
    • Click OK then Apply to save the changes.

We're just here if you need further help.

Devlin Sco, Apr 16, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    DaveM121, Apr 16, 2019
  4. Packages and UWP app folders have become encrypted

Visual Studio UWP App Packages Folder is built incorrectly.

Hello

I have asked this question before in both the Windows and Visual Studio forums with out much success.

The problem is still there and I am beginning to suspect Windows Pro (Two PCs now Fail) as the culprit.

I thought I would try again with the notion that a picture speaks a thousand words!

When Create a new VS2017 UWP Application it creates a folder structure in a path similar to this:

C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Packages\0e17efbd-1cd1-431e-8970-bb3d01b9af80_h37gyvpph0nvj

On a Working PC it is a normal Folder structure.

On Failing PC the folder structure looks like a list of Shortcuts (although icon slightly different) with one OK folder (SystemAppData)

If I create a text file either manually or via the App in one of the "shortcut" folders it picks up a yellow padlock icon and the file is unmanageable , it certainly doesn't Roam as it should do.

Attached is a picture that shows exactly what the problem looks like.

Packages and UWP app folders have become encrypted c60f8329-72fb-4f33-ad47-d1d0fc161578?upload=true.jpg

Hope someone can help

Chris

KrisKross81, Apr 16, 2019
Thema:

Packages and UWP app folders have become encrypted

1. Packages and UWP app folders have become encrypted - Similar Threads - Packages UWP app

2. files encrypted by windows UWP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    files encrypted by windows UWP: Hi everyone, I would like to know why if I open the "windows apps" folder and enter a certain folder, I can't even view the application icons as I'm not allowed to. this problem occurs with only one folder, the other folders open without problems. can you explain to me? Is...
  3. Accidently deleted important UWP packages.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidently deleted important UWP packages.: I was trying to deep clean Windows, but I regret touching the WindowsApps folder. I forcefully deleted some of the folders which I thought weren't important. I did actually find the folders who represented the programs I had installed earlier, and aren't present anymore, so...
  4. Accidently deleted important UWP packages.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidently deleted important UWP packages.: I was trying to deep clean Windows, but I regret touching the WindowsApps folder. I forcefully deleted some of the folders which I thought weren't important. I did actually find the folders who represented the programs I had installed earlier, and aren't present anymore, so...
  5. Problem with reinstalling uwp apps after deleting uwp apps folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with reinstalling uwp apps after deleting uwp apps folder: Please keep in mind I don't want to reset at all costs.One day I corrupted the WindowsApps folder permissions and probably some other folders I don't know about right now, after many tries to fix it I decided to delete it, uninstall most uwp apps, and then try again. I didn't...
  6. UWP Apps Encrypted with EFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    UWP Apps Encrypted with EFS: I'm trying to edit resource packs for Minecraft Win 10 edition, but the file folder is encrypted. I can access it but I can't modify anything. Moreover, if I move the files to another folder the encryption persists! I've tried decrypting them but to no avail. I'm running...
  7. Packages folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Packages folder: What is inside appdata/local/packages folder ? Does it store any personal file ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/packages-folder/ebf5b09c-c33c-46c4-9d87-ef08da2d97c7"
  8. Visual Studio UWP App Packages Folder is built incorrectly.

Visual Studio UWP App Packages Folder is built incorrectly.: Hello I have asked this question before in both the Windows and Visual Studio forums with out much success. The problem is still there and I am beginning to suspect Windows Pro (Two PCs now Fail) as the culprit. I thought I would try again with the notion that a...
  9. Required help regarding UWP packaging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Required help regarding UWP packaging: Hi , I am trying to convert an application which has MSI installer to UWP Packaging. But I’m getting error in Version parameter though I have specified the right version no of the app. Tried out multiple ways to resolve but unable to figure out. Below are the details....
  10. Having trouble with encrypting files/folders

Having trouble with encrypting files/folders: I googled the subject and discovered that it's possible to encrypt individual files and folders with a password. I thought this would be a great idea after almost losing a flash drive recently. Some information would be best not lost to unauthorized people. The...