Windows 10: Packaging 1809 for deployment

Discus and support Packaging 1809 for deployment in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So we have been struggling to get 1809 pushed out to all machines and I fear same issue will happen with 1903. Windows updates does not auto install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Zeeman, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Zeeman Win User

Packaging 1809 for deployment

So we have been struggling to get 1809 pushed out to all machines and I fear same issue will happen with 1903. Windows updates does not auto install this on domain joined computers and our automated systems dont play well with the feature updates.

Im wondering what other folks are doing to ensure all machines get fully updated to 1809. Is there a way to create a MSI or MSIx installer that we can copy to the local machines, then execute. If not how do the rest of you who manage domain joined computers handle the windows feature updates?

:)

Zeeman, Mar 6, 2019

2. Importing Flash packages into Deployment Workbench for multiple Windows 10 releases

Hi - I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this behaviour and, if so, how they've gotten around it.

I have Deployment Workbench organised into folders representing different releases of our image - our current image is based on 1709 and I'm starting work on a new image based on 1809, so I now have 2 sets of folders within each category - one for the 1709
    image and one for the 1809 image.

I've successfully imported the latest security package for Win10 1809, but when I try and import the Jan '19 Flash
    security package for Win10 1809 the import wizard gives me the following:

Not copying existing package C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp\MSUexpand\Windows10.0-KB4480979-x64.cab

Copying existing item Package_for_KB4480979 neutral amd64 10.0.1.0 from DS006:\Packages\1709 to DS006:\Packages\1809.

This is, I assume, because I've previously imported the 1709 specific Jan '19 Flash package.

If I try and build my 1809 image with the 1709 Flash package, the build understandably fails with a DISM error.

So my question is this - how do I import and manage the monthly Flash packages for both my current build (based on 1709) and new build (based on 1809) within the same Deployment Share?

Looking forward to hearing from you - and if I need to provide more detail just let me know!

PRRobinson, Mar 6, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Customised Windows 10 deployment on multiple desktops and laptops.

OK, after giving this a thought and thinking how I would do it, here's my suggestion. Please notice that, as I said, this is how I would do it. Other geeks might disagree with parts or all of it.

I tested this scenario using one Hyper-V VM as technician machine (the one to build image) and three virtual machines to test simultaneous deployment in two scenarios:
    • Capturing install.wim from technician machine and using DISM to apply / deploy image from a network share
    • Capturing install.wim from technician machine, making ISO from it, deploying by clean installing from ISO burned to Flash drive
    Based on the fact that ISO method is clearly faster and simpler, it is what I suggest to you. I estimate you would need an hour and half to two hours to customize install image, capture it and make an ISO, then assuming you would make 5 Flash drives for install / deployment you would need about half an hour per five machines, in other words you would deploy to those 25 new machines in less than three hours, almost a full working day to deploy those 50 existing ones.

Two working days, day 1 to make the image and deploy to new machines, day 2 to deploy to old ones.

Chronological workflow based on my suggestion:

Phase 1, Image customization tutorial, parts One through Six:
    • Install Windows 10 on a technician machine (I recommend Hyper-V VM but any capable PC is OK)
    • Boot to Audit Mode
    • Update Windows, install software, customize & personalize Windows
    • Sysprep
    Phase 2:
    • Capture the install.wim from technician machine as told in this tutorial, Part Four steps 4.1 through 4.5 (physical PC as technician machine) or Part Four steps 4.6 through 4.13 (Hyper-V VM as technician machine)
    • Create ISO as told in same tutorial, Part Five
    • Burn / write ISO to as many Flash drives as you want to / need to for simultaneous installs
    • Boot production machines from Flash drive, install Windows 10
    The above is how I would do this. If you choose the DISM method instead, applying install.wim from a network share, see this Microsoft support article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../hh824910.aspx

For more advanced deployment using MDT see this article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dn475741.aspx

Kari, Mar 6, 2019
  4. Packaging 1809 for deployment

SCCM version 1602. Is there anything that we are missing that is causing the deployments to not succeed?

My company recently updated to 1602. We've sent out two patches for updates and neither are deploying to the field(One is at 4% after a month and a half, the other is at 0%). We've confirmed that the deployment package settings are identical to previous
    patches that we've deployed. To give you the steps that we took to deploy the patches

• Created the software update group and added all the software for the monthly update to group. (the files are on all of our distribution points as of right now).
    • Deployed to a group of test PCs using a specific template that has been in action
    • Made the type of deployment required with detail levels showing "only success and error messages"
    • For schedule I made available time ASAP as well as deadline.
    • Under User Experience we hide notifications in software center, allows system restart (if necessary) outside of maintenance windows
    • There are no alerts
    • Deployment options are "download software updates from DP and install"

Is there anything that we are missing that is causing the deployments to not succeed?

RobJTHunter, Mar 6, 2019
Thema:

Packaging 1809 for deployment

1. Packaging 1809 for deployment - Similar Threads - Packaging 1809 deployment

2. Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D01, The package deployment...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D01, The package deployment...: Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D01, The package deployment operation is blocked by policy. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-appxpackage-deployment-failed-with-hresult/677947a3-4cf6-4bd6-837e-41dead58a10d
  3. Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D01, The package deployment...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D01, The package deployment...: Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D01, The package deployment operation is blocked by policy. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-appxpackage-deployment-failed-with-hresult/677947a3-4cf6-4bd6-837e-41dead58a10d
  4. Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D01, The package deployment...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be...: i got red writing message when i try to entered a code in windows powershell. what should I do?Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it modifies are currently in use. error 0x80073D02: Unable to...
  6. Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be...: i got red writing message when i try to entered a code in windows powershell. what should I do?Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it modifies are currently in use. error 0x80073D02: Unable to...
  7. Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be...: I was unable to download apps or install updates from the store so I tired to repair the app data and that didn't work. I then tried the reset app option and that also did not work and now I cannot open the Microsoft store.I tried to reinstall the store via PowerShell and had...
  8. How to deploy package over powershell error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to deploy package over powershell error: Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF9, Install failed. Please contact your software vendor. Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package NdemicCreationsLTD.109457519C4DB_2016.212.1837.1767_neutral_~_vzygdntm2jc30 from:...
  9. How to deploy package over powershell error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to deploy package over powershell error: Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF9, Install failed. Please contact your software vendor. Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package NdemicCreationsLTD.109457519C4DB_2016.212.1837.1767_neutral_~_vzygdntm2jc30 from:...
  10. MDT Fails when deploying 1803 and 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MDT Fails when deploying 1803 and 1809: Dear Colleagues, I would like to ask for your assistance: - I have a Windows Server 2012 R2. 1809 ADK, MDT 6.3.8456.1000, DISM 10.0.17763.1 + WinPE 1809 installed. - Deploying Windows 10 1703 is always succeed. - I have an alternate DeplymentShare on the same server and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows10 1809 mdt long time deploy

2. deploy windows 1809 sccm deployment package