Windows 10: Page File on D drive (3tb WD Black) but want it on SSD. Cant Move.

Discus and support Page File on D drive (3tb WD Black) but want it on SSD. Cant Move. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, having a bit of trouble with my page file configuration for some reason, windows has automatically placed it on the d drive, instead of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Groggubus, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Groggubus Win User

Page File on D drive (3tb WD Black) but want it on SSD. Cant Move.

Hi, having a bit of trouble with my page file configuration

for some reason, windows has automatically placed it on the d drive, instead of the Samsung EVO SSD. (not nvme, just m.2 sata).

Im trying to format the d drive and of course because its got the page file on it its throwing up errors.

ive googled a few things and looked over this site but nothing seems specific to my problem.

i didnt move the page file, I want it on the SSD, but windows automatically placed it to drive d

thanks!

WINVER 1909 os build 18363.476

:)

Groggubus, Nov 20, 2019
  2. Steve Iam Win User

Western Digital 3TB drive for windows 10

First I would like to thank you all for your help and response on the issue.

My UEFI/BIOS also was a weird # a 3008, not listed as for this motherboard, so had to flash it ( done by Stephen D ) to a registered correct #.. Also reset some items in the BIOS. I was not brave enough to flash BIOS by my self, so left it up to the pro's..

The WD HDD is black on white label. Don't know if it's classified as Black ?

Product # WD3003FZEX ( WWN: 50014EE003E3C296 )

Been using WD drives since the 1980's is Mac's and PC's, only sent 1 in and got a replacement.

I had tried for quite sometime the other day to get this drive ready past the 746.52 GB unallocated.

Well anyway I got hold a tech (Stephen D) from Digital Storm and we found out. I was using a Black Widow USB station (1 drive) that was a USB 2 not 3.

Which was not allowing the drive to be changed other than MBR to GPT and back again.

SO swapped the drive out of the tower ( 1 TB) to the USB station and the 3TB inside. Then formatted the 3TB drive.

Which then tried auto copy the files to the 3TB, looked like it was working (software read as so) " BUT "actually was not.

Wound up manually coping files to the 3TB, which did the trick !

So up and running like a top once again!!

Steve Iam, Nov 20, 2019
  3. Grownman Win User
    Win 7 showing 746gb for 3tb drive?

I recently purchased a WD 3TB green internal hardrive for backups. Upon booting into windows, the drive only shows 746gb's.

I've already gone into device manager and updated the Nforce Serial ATA and the bios shows 3000. (I assume that is for the 3tb's?)

I am not trying to install windows on the drive, but just use it as another drive for backup needs.
    I have tried to go to disk management and format the drive but it will not allow me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Backup - WD 2TB Black
    Backup - External WD 2TB elements
    *Backup - WD 3TB Green

Grownman, Nov 20, 2019
  4. psyko12 Win User

Page File

Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

psyko12, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Page File on D drive (3tb WD Black) but want it on SSD. Cant Move. - Similar Threads - Page File drive

2. MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE: I've been trying to move my folders from C drive to D drive to free up space but its telling me the folder can't be moved here as there is a folder in the same location even when i delete said folder from D drive.Any suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong please...
  3. move files from clous to D drive

move files from clous to D drive: I have a group of files too big enough to fit on my C drive of my laptop, but would fit in my D drive. The files are already in file explorer, but are in the cloud. not installed on my device Because I wanted to install the files on my D drive, what I was going to try was to...
  4. Cant move apps to D drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cant move apps to D drive: Hello, i have forza on C drive and i want to install flight simulator but i have 30 gbs left so i need to install it to D. But everytime i try to move the forza or choose where will the apps save, it gives me error... I can download ONLY on C drive. [ATTACH] im sorry its in...
  5. Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.

Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.: I tried moving my Microsoft game apps to my much larger D drive, using the instructions that were recommended: [ATTACH] They stayed on drive C, but they did show up here on D: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] How do I open these in D, delete the ones in C, but still have icons on the...
  6. WD Book 3TB Cannot be Accessed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD Book 3TB Cannot be Accessed: Windows 10 Pro - 1909, OS Build: 18363.657 Howdy Folks, *Smile Shortly after a successful Macrium Reflect full backup [SSD Primary Image & HDD Secondary Files & Folders .mrbak] on my desktop the Book failed backing up my laptop. Disk Manager says it needs to be initialized...
  7. Page File on D drive (3tb WD Black) but want it on SSD. Cant Move.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Page File on D drive (3tb WD Black) but want it on SSD. Cant Move.: Hi, having a bit of trouble with my page file configuration for some reason, windows has automatically placed it on the d drive, instead of the Samsung EVO SSD. (not nvme, just m.2 sata). Im trying to format the d drive and of course because its got the page file on it its...
  8. SSD and D Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD and D Drive: I have a new PC with a SSD and normal hard drive. How do I get the default for files (new, explore, save etc) to be to the D Drive. I seem to have ended up with 2 versions and they aren't in syncd...
  9. Moving data files to the D:\drive confusion!

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Moving data files to the D:\drive confusion!: I moved the Data files Contacts, Documents etc. to the D:\ drive using the Properties > Location > Move method and Office Word etc. in Options > Save show that the Save destination is D:\Users\username\Documents which is as it should be BUT which of the duplicated folders as...
  10. WD Black HDD - Want to move OS to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD Black HDD - Want to move OS to new SSD: I have a 1 TB WD Black (1003FZEX) in a Dell XPS-8700 (Not Special Edition). Only 50% of HDD is full and that's all I plan to keep it. I want to buy a new SSD and put my OS on it for faster starts, etc. I back up every day (Full / Verify) using Macrium (Paid). What...