Windows 10: Page File on D drive (3tb WD Black) but want it on SSD. Cant Move.

Discus and support Page File on D drive (3tb WD Black) but want it on SSD. Cant Move. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, having a bit of trouble with my page file configuration for some reason, windows has automatically placed it on the d drive, instead of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Groggubus, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Groggubus Win User

Page File on D drive (3tb WD Black) but want it on SSD. Cant Move.

Hi, having a bit of trouble with my page file configuration

for some reason, windows has automatically placed it on the d drive, instead of the Samsung EVO SSD. (not nvme, just m.2 sata).

Im trying to format the d drive and of course because its got the page file on it its throwing up errors.

ive googled a few things and looked over this site but nothing seems specific to my problem.

i didnt move the page file, I want it on the SSD, but windows automatically placed it to drive d

thanks!

WINVER 1909 os build 18363.476

:)

Groggubus, Nov 20, 2019
  2. Steve Iam Win User

Western Digital 3TB drive for windows 10

First I would like to thank you all for your help and response on the issue.

My UEFI/BIOS also was a weird # a 3008, not listed as for this motherboard, so had to flash it ( done by Stephen D ) to a registered correct #.. Also reset some items in the BIOS. I was not brave enough to flash BIOS by my self, so left it up to the pro's..

The WD HDD is black on white label. Don't know if it's classified as Black ?

Product # WD3003FZEX ( WWN: 50014EE003E3C296 )

Been using WD drives since the 1980's is Mac's and PC's, only sent 1 in and got a replacement.

I had tried for quite sometime the other day to get this drive ready past the 746.52 GB unallocated.

Well anyway I got hold a tech (Stephen D) from Digital Storm and we found out. I was using a Black Widow USB station (1 drive) that was a USB 2 not 3.

Which was not allowing the drive to be changed other than MBR to GPT and back again.

SO swapped the drive out of the tower ( 1 TB) to the USB station and the 3TB inside. Then formatted the 3TB drive.

Which then tried auto copy the files to the 3TB, looked like it was working (software read as so) " BUT "actually was not.

Wound up manually coping files to the 3TB, which did the trick !

So up and running like a top once again!!

Steve Iam, Nov 20, 2019
  3. Grownman Win User
    Win 7 showing 746gb for 3tb drive?

I recently purchased a WD 3TB green internal hardrive for backups. Upon booting into windows, the drive only shows 746gb's.

I've already gone into device manager and updated the Nforce Serial ATA and the bios shows 3000. (I assume that is for the 3tb's?)

I am not trying to install windows on the drive, but just use it as another drive for backup needs.
    I have tried to go to disk management and format the drive but it will not allow me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Backup - WD 2TB Black
    Backup - External WD 2TB elements
    *Backup - WD 3TB Green

Grownman, Nov 20, 2019
  4. psyko12 Win User

Page File

Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

psyko12, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Page File on D drive (3tb WD Black) but want it on SSD. Cant Move. - Similar Threads - Page File drive

2. Page File on D drive (3tb WD Black) but want it on SSD. Cant Move.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Page File on D drive (3tb WD Black) but want it on SSD. Cant Move.: Hi, having a bit of trouble with my page file configuration for some reason, windows has automatically placed it on the d drive, instead of the Samsung EVO SSD. (not nvme, just m.2 sata). Im trying to format the d drive and of course because its got the page file on it its...
  3. Moving photos to D Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving photos to D Drive: I have a Surface Pro 6 with 256 GB SDXC card. The card has nothing on it -- empty. Trying to move all my photos (about 70GB's) to D Drive but keep getting message that there's not enough storage space. What's up?...
  4. SSD and D Drive

SSD and D Drive: I have a new PC with a SSD and normal hard drive. How do I get the default for files (new, explore, save etc) to be to the D Drive. I seem to have ended up with 2 versions and they aren't in syncd...
  5. Cant move files onto a new drive

Cant move files onto a new drive: Hello. Recently ive bought a 2TB E: disk. It was working fine and i could move everything onto it up til recently, when i tried to move around 20 GB folder. I got an error that the disk is full and the files couldnt be moved but the disk still has 1.7 TB Free Space. Heres the...
  6. Moving data files to the D:\drive confusion!

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Moving data files to the D:\drive confusion!: I moved the Data files Contacts, Documents etc. to the D:\ drive using the Properties > Location > Move method and Office Word etc. in Options > Save show that the Save destination is D:\Users\username\Documents which is as it should be BUT which of the duplicated folders as...
  7. Moving paging file to seperate partition on same drive ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Moving paging file to seperate partition on same drive ?: I was wondering if there would be an advantage to moving the paging file to a separate partition on the same SSD keeping all the software on the "C" Drive & games on "E" Drive. Or Would this only work if I used another SSD of 30gb size ? I am wondering this through...
  8. WD Black HDD - Want to move OS to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD Black HDD - Want to move OS to new SSD: I have a 1 TB WD Black (1003FZEX) in a Dell XPS-8700 (Not Special Edition). Only 50% of HDD is full and that's all I plan to keep it. I want to buy a new SSD and put my OS on it for faster starts, etc. I back up every day (Full / Verify) using Macrium (Paid). What...
  9. Moving Folder Locations from SSD onto D Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Folder Locations from SSD onto D Drive: So i moved my documents, pictures, videos, and music folders from my ssd to my D drive. This is the process i followed: right click folder, click properties, click the location tab, click move, select the D drive, click ok. What I failed to do, was create a NEW folder...
  10. cant save anything on D: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    cant save anything on D: drive: I have my C: drive as an SSD and it holds all the operating system, however everything else has saved there too, i have a 1tb hard drive as well under D: drive but I cant move anything to it, it simply asks me to make shortcuts, so things like music and videos are taking up a...