Windows 10: Pagefile question

Discus and support Pagefile question in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Older Dell XPS - W10, 8G RAM, 1TB HDD, i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 GHz. I have constant crushes after waking up from the sleep mode - "Page Fault in Non Paged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by boyboyds, Mar 25, 2017.

1. boyboyds Win User

Pagefile question

Older Dell XPS - W10, 8G RAM, 1TB HDD, i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 GHz.

I have constant crushes after waking up from the sleep mode - "Page Fault in Non Paged Area".

I saw a recommendation to disable "Automatically manage paging......."

Currently allocated = 1920 MB
    Space available = 772549 MB

1. Should I manually setup pagesize or let system manage it.....?
    2. Is bigger pagesize better.........?

Thanks,
    -BBDS

:)

boyboyds, Mar 25, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

pagefile?

"System managed size"

BulldogXX, Mar 25, 2017
  3. ВеСе Win User
    Best pagefile size for Windows 10 x64 OS

Sorry I bump this question but wanted to ask if pagefile set to System Managed and Automatic memory dump then can this cause disk space to change (to become smaller, i.e pagefile increasing) when CPU, memory and disk usage is high? Today I opened around
    30 tabs in Mozilla and then I noticed 2 gb from my C was gone. I cleared Mozilla cache and history but the 2 gb weren't restored. Might this be because system automatically making pagefile bigger because of high resources usage?

ВеСе, Mar 25, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Pagefile question

If I have my druthers I put the Paging File/Virtual Memory on a second HDD, not a different partition on the same HDD, and set it static [max and min the same] to 1.5 times the physical RAM, have always seen a performance improvement. Haven't added a second HDD to my latest Desktop yet.

You might run the memory test available on many late-model computers in the boot process, can't say for XPS, have only Inspiron and Optiplex now.

Berton, Mar 25, 2017
  5. Geosammy Win User
    I found a tutorial on tomshardware.com...
    How to fix Windows 10 error Page Fault In Nonpaged Area

You can check it out by following the link below.

How to fix Windows 10 error Page Fault In Nonpaged Area - Windows 10

Geosammy, Mar 25, 2017
  6. boyboyds Win User
    Thank you Geosammy, I read that very article before posting here.

I loaded Dell diagnostics tool and all the components look good.
    My question is though - should I determine the max size myself or let the system determine it.....?
    And why not create a very large pagefile, is there any downside to that....?

Thanks,-BBDS

boyboyds, Mar 25, 2017
  7. axe0 New Member
    Many let the system handle it, including myself *Smile

Besides a decrease in space you may not notice any downsides.

8. Geosammy Win User

Pagefile question

The answer depends on what you do with your computer and how much memory you use.
    It all depends on what the computer is doing.

According to an old rule of thumb, your page file should be “double your RAM” or “1.5 times your RAM.”

Setting the page file size larger, than what the system managed would set it as.
    Could cause you to lose valuable disk space.
    Which could lead to more issues for your system.

If I were you,
    I would let windows take on this responsibility.

Geosammy, Mar 25, 2017
  9. EliteData Win User
    have you tried clearing the page file ?

EliteData, Mar 25, 2017
  10. axe0 New Member
    The pagefile is cleared after a reboot/shutdown, so it happens after a BSOD.

11. EliteData Win User
    thats if the OP has it set to clear the page file upon shutdown of the system which i do not think his page file is set to do.
    as far as a system dump clearing the page file (after a system halt), ive never heard or seen the contents of the page file "zeroed" out or even deleted after a system "crash".
    since the problem happens when he puts the PC to "sleep", i would suspect a problem with one or more of the installed RAM modules at this point, perhaps even a bad block located right where the page file is.

EliteData, Mar 25, 2017
  12. axe0 New Member
    The pagefile isn't deleted after a system crash, only emptied.

I'd think more of a driver having issues with whatever its planning to do to the memory address.

13. EliteData Win User

Pagefile question

i was going to mention that too but the OP has not provided more detailed info from the event viewer for us to disseminate the problem better.

EliteData, Mar 25, 2017
  14. axe0 New Member
  15. boyboyds Win User
    So far I only unchecked the default setting "Automatically manage paging file size......".

After that my PC woke up after sleep 3 times without any issues.
    I will give it more time and will report back.

Thank you for all your help,
    -BBDS

boyboyds, Mar 25, 2017
Thema:

Pagefile question

1. Pagefile question - Similar Threads - Pagefile question

2. Is it safe to manage Virtual Memory Pagefile In Windows 10 and change settings or not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to manage Virtual Memory Pagefile In Windows 10 and change settings or not: On websites and videos I noticed people talk about changing settings for Virtual memory in Windows 10.They say it is ok to change the minimum and maximum size of the Pagefile physical memory also on the Virtual Memory box, uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for...
  3. Is it safe to manage Virtual Memory Pagefile In Windows 10 and change settings or not

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to manage Virtual Memory Pagefile In Windows 10 and change settings or not: On websites and videos I noticed people talk about changing settings for Virtual memory in Windows 10.They say it is ok to change the minimum and maximum size of the Pagefile physical memory also on the Virtual Memory box, uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for...
  4. Is it safe to manage Virtual Memory Pagefile In Windows 10 and change settings or not

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Cant make pagefile more than 2gb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant make pagefile more than 2gb: I cant make pagefile more than 2gb on windows 10 arm32 i have only 1gb ram cause its on phone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-make-pagefile-more-than-2gb/a01a3e33-a6e1-442d-98f5-3cb12214dcec
  6. Cant make pagefile more than 2gb

Cant make pagefile more than 2gb: I cant make pagefile more than 2gb on windows 10 arm32 i have only 1gb ram cause its on phone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-make-pagefile-more-than-2gb/a01a3e33-a6e1-442d-98f5-3cb12214dcec
  7. Cant make pagefile more than 2gb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. "Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...: Every time I launch my computer this popup comes up and I'm taken to virtual memory in system properties, it says I have 0mb in page file size, I have tried everything I can find online, I tried clean boot which did nothing, resetting which is blocked by an error, deleting...
  9. "Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...

"Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...: Every time I launch my computer this popup comes up and I'm taken to virtual memory in system properties, it says I have 0mb in page file size, I have tried everything I can find online, I tried clean boot which did nothing, resetting which is blocked by an error, deleting...
  10. Yes another dumb pagefile question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Yes another dumb pagefile question: Hey After 30 mins of reading and many many excellent but contradictory guides and comments later I'm none the wiser. I have mid range win 10 gaming pc which has a lot of stuff open at once for Adobe, net, Adobe support packages and usually some music. The internet will have...