Windows 10: Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart

Discus and support Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've edited the registry key value to 1 instead of 0 I'm running Win10 Home so Group Policy won't launch Manually set pagefile to 0 in System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AMXCA, May 8, 2020.

1. /u/AMXCA Win User

Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart

I've edited the registry key value to 1 instead of 0
    I'm running Win10 Home so Group Policy won't launch
    Manually set pagefile to 0 in System Performance through 'This PC'

BIOS doesn't have an option for clearing RAM or pagefile upon shutdown

Is there another way to configure this or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

submitted by /u/AMXCA
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AMXCA, May 8, 2020

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, May 8, 2020
  3. LMiller7 Win User
    Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

Clearing the pagefile is a security measure. In spite of claims to the contrary it has no other benefits. It writes zeroes to every byte of the pagefile. It does not delete the pagefile as sometimes claimed. It will increase shutdown time, particularly on systems with slow hard drives (laptops). It cannot be used with hibernation. While it isn't really a bad idea it makes little sense except as part of a comprehensive security policy. Most systems have security risks that are more serious than an uncleared pagefile. In most cases a hacker could obtain what he wanted by other means with less effort.

LMiller7, May 8, 2020
  4. Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart

Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

Hi,
    Nice one Shawn
    What's the listing above about is that to help with the new fake shut down features ?

Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart [​IMG]

ThrashZone, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart

1. Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart - Similar Threads - Pagefile RAM won't

2. Clear Pagefile At Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clear Pagefile At Shutdown: If I completely preinstalled and updated my genshin impact game. Then next day, is clear pagefile at shutdown delete my genshin update files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-pagefile-at-shutdown/c3bb4890-1b05-4ff9-a9ff-44c31961b1a7
  3. Clear Pagefile At Shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clear Pagefile At Shutdown: If I completely preinstalled and updated my genshin impact game. Then next day, is clear pagefile at shutdown delete my genshin update files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-pagefile-at-shutdown/c3bb4890-1b05-4ff9-a9ff-44c31961b1a7
  4. Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?: Hello, so i'm currently using Windows 10 Home edition, and i have been trying to set pagefile to automatically clear on shut down. Most online tutorial suggest to do this via Advanced system settings -> Performance -> Setting -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory, uncheck...
  5. Clear RAM without restarting Windows10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Clear RAM without restarting Windows10: I am running x64Windows10 on my system. I work on several programs and files at a time. I do not shutdown my laptop so that I do not loose any open tabs and programs. I just let it sleep. But after few days my machine becomes sluggish. I feel this is because RAM is full....
  6. Desktops clear upon shutdown?

Desktops clear upon shutdown?: I am thinking of setting up multiple desktops for my different workflows (I do a lot of complex things from stocks to programming), each with special layouts that I find bothersome to reopen every time I want to switch activities. Is there a way for these layouts to stay even...
  7. Computer won't restart/shutdown

Computer won't restart/shutdown: Let me start off by saying that I have 25+ years in windows (workstation and server) but I need a second set of eyes on this. Issue: Computer will not restart or shutdown. Behavior: On shutdown or restart, it goes through the normal process, monitors turn off, but the...
  8. Laptop won't shutdown or restart properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't shutdown or restart properly: My laptop won't shutdown or restart properly, I am using a docking station and when I undock the laptop it seems to restart/shutdown properly but when I restart/shutdown with it docked, it doesn't restart/shutdown properly and always goes into a mode like sleep mode. How do...
  9. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Clear Pagefile on Shutdown: I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage: In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD...
  10. Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10: How to: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 How to Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 Virtual memory support uses a system pagefile to swap pages of memory to disk when they are not used. On a running system, this pagefile is...