Windows 10: PageFile what should it be set too??

Discus and support PageFile what should it be set too?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, I am trying to determine the Proper Size for my Pagefile.. I have seen numerous posts and lots of different info.. Ithink I am supposed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JLAF5150, May 7, 2017.

1. JLAF5150 Win User

PageFile what should it be set too??

Hi All,

I am trying to determine the Proper Size for my Pagefile.. I have seen numerous posts and lots of different info.. Ithink I am supposed to et it at 1.5 to 2.0 times my Ram amount..

I was wondering what the experts had to say about this..

:)

JLAF5150, May 7, 2017

2. Battery capacity - What should it be?

I have to agree, I got my brand new phone with the update on and it barely lasts me a day. I cant believe the battery life is so poor. I honestly dont think that they have fixed the issue.

mdasilva---01, May 7, 2017
  3. mkr10001 Win User
    Battery capacity - What should it be?

Really? After 8 hours of email checking over 3g? If I was out of the house for 12 hours that would be dead. What if I wanted to listen to music or do some surfing or Nokia Drive, it would be dead in less than 8 hours.

mkr10001, May 7, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

How much RAM do you have?
    If you've got 8GB's or more, I'd leave it system managed.
    (Course, I'm not an expert, just throwing experience and opinion out there!)

Edwin, May 7, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    I don't. I have it set to 'System managed size' and let Windows worry about that. Currently it thinks 4GB, same size as my RAM is sufficient.

Bree, May 7, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Make that 3 votes for "System managed size"

NavyLCDR, May 7, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    ...four, if you count the 'How-To Geek'...

https://www.howtogeek.com/196238/how...-partition-be/

Bree, May 7, 2017
  8. JLAF5150 Win User

OK thank you all *Wink

JLAF5150, May 7, 2017
  9. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Wrong, right or indifferent, here is my own take based on my own experience from XP to current:

For the most part I totally agree that leaving Windows manage the paging file size is the best way to go.

However, from time to time, those installations with smaller drives need to recover/free up some space and that can be done by decreasing the size of your paging file with the following caveats:

If you have more than 8GBs of RAM, and you do not run a lot of graphics intensive programs, and you do not play hard core games that utilize shared memory, the size of the paging file can be reduced to 400MBs.

The 400MB size is the minimum required to process crash dumps.

In summary, The old rule of thumb (Page file size = RAM * 1.5 or RAM * 2) makes no sense in modern systems, where the logic should be: the more RAM you have, the less you need a paging file.

Just my own opinion based on my own experience.

Cheers,

10. JLAF5150 Win User
    Well I have 16GB of RAM and am trying to get a bit more.. I run a Game called DCS World which is a memory hog and a really graphics intense game..

I just thought having a bigger pagefile might help with performance a bit.. Probally would just need mr RAM on my system to help a bit..

Thank you for all the suggestions.. I have a 500GB SSD Reserverd for Pagefile so size is not a issue..

JLAF5150, May 7, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    There are complaints going back to 2008 about this program. There are threads on Steam, Reddit and others that this program has had a lot of complaints and people wanting to know best bang for the buck to run this program. Users have been asking since 2013 for a Linux version of this program, which is most likely what the writers are using to design it before rolling it out locked into Windows.

Your Page File is not going to change anything with simulators that the CPU and GPU are running at full power and having to do more thinking ahead, especially if you have all of the graphic settings cranked up. The Page File is just storing program information as something goes from foreground to background, it does zero computing, same as the hard Drive, which is just like RAM and stores data.

If the game is written correctly and also uses the onboard GPU card RAM, how well that card performs on handling all of the data that is being thrown at it, along with the fact that you have a i5, not a i7 or even a Xenon can make a huge difference.

bro67, May 7, 2017
  12. WOT
    WOT Win User
  13. bro67 Win User

It always has been since the group "Eagle Dynamics" created it. They go back to 1991 and their programs have always demanded high CPU cycles and are made to run for real life simulations, not for hobbyist, which has been their biggest market since the beginning.

The only Sim that I have seen that would run on the OP machine would be the Linux Flight Sim. is Flight Gear.

bro67, May 7, 2017
  14. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Well then the listed recommended requirements for maximum performance are grossly understated at Game Debate. With that said, since you seem to have experience with the game in question, what would be your recommended upgrades for the OP?

15. JLAF5150 Win User
    Well I see those specifications but I don't believe them at all. I thought since I am nearing max of ram usage I could increase the amount of Ram I use..

I know that in the 1 mission I fly it is using 14GB of RAM and maxing my vRam.. I was wondering if increasing page file had anything to do with this and how games work but I guess not..

I was just thiunking to get more Ram and use a Ram drive which my motherboard comes with a program to use the ram.. was hoping meaybe that would help a bit..

JLAF5150, May 7, 2017
Thema:

1. PageFile what should it be set too?? - Similar Threads - PageFile should set

2. what should speed step and speed step be set too

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what should speed step and speed step be set too: i have asus z490 MB i5 10600kgtx 1660srunning window 11 homemy cpu been running slow and had to change power setting on and of for turbo boostand speed step,speed shift in bios, which should be correct setting for these...
  3. what should speed step and speed step be set too

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what should speed step and speed step be set too: i have asus z490 MB i5 10600kgtx 1660srunning window 11 homemy cpu been running slow and had to change power setting on and of for turbo boostand speed step,speed shift in bios, which should be correct setting for these...
  4. Should I disable Pagefile and/or Hiberfile?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I disable Pagefile and/or Hiberfile?: I was told to disable these because I have an SSD for Windows. Is that still a recommended practice? I'm getting mixed (and old) opinions when I Google it. submitted by /u/Sympatoo [link] [comments]...
  5. Pagefile problem.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pagefile problem.: When I set PageFile to Custom Set, less than my 8GB of actual memory, Windows automatically increase PageFile to more than 8GB?Why is this happening?How do I solve this?Should I delete anything in the Registry?Simply, Windows does not accept my CustomSet, why ??When I set it...
  6. Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?: Hello, so i'm currently using Windows 10 Home edition, and i have been trying to set pagefile to automatically clear on shut down. Most online tutorial suggest to do this via Advanced system settings -> Performance -> Setting -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory, uncheck...
  7. PageFile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PageFile: I'm really in need of pc storage, I tried everything to empty the PageFile.sys at shutdown by changing the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 1 on the registry, and I tried to change it's location to my E drive where I have more space by nothing won't work the file stay in C...
  8. What should I set my pagefile to after upgrading my ram?

in Windows 10 Support
    What should I set my pagefile to after upgrading my ram?: Topic, What is the minimum size I should set my pagefile too so that I won't run into any problems? Currently I have 8 gb of ram and tomorrow I plan to add another 8 gb for 16 Gb total. DDR4 2133mhz if your curious what type or if that even matters. My Os is on a SSD so when...
  9. Huge pagefile

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Huge pagefile: In the recent past I had to overcome unexplained OS size fluctuations. Then yesterday I got one of those dreaded popups saying I was low on space. I discovered that I had a 16 gb pagefile. Never seen anything like this. My OS partition is 40 gb (on a ssd), with 16 gb ram,...
  10. Should I disable the pagefile?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Should I disable the pagefile?: Just curious if I have enough memory to disable the pagefile without causing any harm?? [img] I have no idea how this happened! It's an older laptop that hasn't been booted in a year or so. It really has 8 GB of system memory, but apparently, Windows 7 forgot the...