Windows 10: Paging file on an SSD?

Discus and support Paging file on an SSD? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is it a good idea to even use a paging file/virtual memory on an SSD? If i remember correctly, SSDs have a limit to how much is read and wrote to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DeezNutspacito, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Paging file on an SSD?

Is it a good idea to even use a paging file/virtual memory on an SSD? If i remember correctly, SSDs have a limit to how much is read and wrote to before they start to lose their holding ability.

submitted by /u/DeezNutspacito
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DeezNutspacito, Sep 14, 2020
  2. psyko12 Win User

Page File

Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

psyko12, Sep 14, 2020
  3. SaltyFish Win User
    Page file size?

Certain programs require a page file to function. For example, the original Company of Heroes requires a page file larger than 768MB (I remember another game requiring a 1GB page file, but I don't recall its name). If you don't have any such programs, you can get by without a page file. Otherwise a 2GB page file should suit your needs. If you want a page file while preserving access speed and SSD life, you can pull shenanigans by putting a page file on a RAM disk.

SaltyFish, Sep 14, 2020
  4. Jizzler Win User

Paging file on an SSD?

Page file size?

CoH is a bit of an oddity as it has a built-in check for the presence of a pagefile. That wasn't very forward-thinking for a couple reasons, but I do understand their intention -- to prevent support calls and bad publicity. Luckily it was patched to support the option "-disablepagefilecheck".

Jizzler, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

Paging file on an SSD?

1. Paging file on an SSD? - Similar Threads - Paging file SSD

2. Paging file issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Paging file issue: Dear community,Everytime my computer starts, a "Performance Options" window is already open on the desktop, the "Advanced" tab is active. In "virtual memory", "no paging file" is set. The Paging File Size of C: is "none". If I set "system managed size" and "automatically set...
  3. Paging Files/VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Paging Files/VM: Okay, so here I am playing my world of warship game and notice that sometimes my fps drops or the computers starts to slow things down on me. So I looked at my drive that the game is on (as I have 2 M.2 and 3 SSD) and notice that it's taking it over 2 ms to read or write. So...
  4. Page file increase or not?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Page file increase or not?: Hi there. I have a Lenovo ideapad D330. Specs: 64GB SSD, 4GB ram, Windows 10 pro, Intel Celeron N4000 1.10 Ghz x 2ALL SOLDERED EXCEPT FOR THE DRIVE i think It's running good no problems. I've just installed HDSDR to run my RTL.SDR dongle. My laptop has started to freeze now...
  5. Page File Query

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Page File Query: I only have 4 gigs memory. Dell says I can only upgrade to 6 gigs but Crucial says 2 banks of 4 gigs is okay. MS recommends my page file to be set at 1394 megs. I've read that 2 x memory total is a number to shoot at. That would be around 8 gig page file. Space is not a...
  6. Paging File

in Windows 10 Customization
    Paging File: Hi I am running windows 10 pro with 12GB of RAM. What is the best setting to use on the paging file to get the best proformance and how can I calculate it in case I increase the memory?...
  7. Problem with paging file.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with paging file.: Hi, with some paging file settings, how can I maximize RAM or get rid of unnecessary services, can make Windows 10 run even faster. And how to do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-paging-file/0f75f49c-97b8-42b7-b798-fec968ca08f5
  8. Page file on faster SSD

Page file on faster SSD: I have 8GB ram with a 120GB Sata 3 SSD and several hard disk drives. Windows 10 is installed on the SSD. The page file is managed by Windows. I've added a faster 256GB PCIe 3.0 SSD. I'm mainly using this new drive for data, but should I tell Windows to put the page file on...
  9. Paging files or not?

Paging files or not?: Hi! I currently have a laptop with a PCIe SSD, 16GB RAM DDR4 and an HDD mainly for games and storage. In terms of paging I have system-managed size paging files for the SSD and for both partitions of the HDD. Would I experience any improvements in performance by not...
  10. Should I Disable Paging File On My SSD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I Disable Paging File On My SSD?: Hi, should I disable Page file in my Windows? I have 120GB SSD & I found some articles in the Internet that, paging file should be disabled on SSD. By the way, I have 16GB RAM. 42782