Windows 10: Paging File Size being set to none

Discus and support Paging File Size being set to none in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; For the last several months, my PC has been suffering from various memory issues. Not returning from idle, low memory warnings, memory allocation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by billybag, Oct 19, 2018.

1. billybag Win User

Paging File Size being set to none

For the last several months, my PC has been suffering from various memory issues. Not returning from idle, low memory warnings, memory allocation warnings, slowness, sluggishness, etc.

i decided to look into manually changing my paging file size and that is when i noticed that Windows is not managing the paging file size for my C drive; it is set to none.

i found instructions on how to change this but things got more curious. The instructions say to use chkdsk Q: /R in repair mode command prompt. Oddly, rapair modes are no longer on my PC. i have tried restarting into advanced startup mode and half of what i remember used the be there, no longer is. Startup repair and system restore, for example, are no longer options.

i am using Windows 10
    16GB of RAM
    SSD C drive
    Intel Core i7

:)

billybag, Oct 19, 2018
  2. psyko12 Win User

Page File

Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

psyko12, Oct 19, 2018
  3. Jetster Win User
    Page file size?

Deleting it is fine, but keep in mind if you delete your page file a memory dump has no where to go and will be deleted. Not a big deal but just FYI. Really there is nothing to gain by deleting a page file. Except for the physical space. Windows set your page file the same size as your ram for a reason. So suggesting you should delete it if you have 16+ Gb ram and wont need it is inaccurate. You can also recover Data on a BSOD if you have the dump file

"Microsoft says that, when the page file is set to a system-managed size and the computer is configured for automatic memory dumps, “Windows sets the size of the paging file large enough to ensure that a kernel memory dump can be captured most of the time.” As Microsoft points out, crash dumps are an important consideration when deciding what size the page file should be. The page file must be large enough to contain the memory data."

http://www.howtogeek.com/196672/windows-memory-dumps-what-exactly-are-they-for/

Jetster, Oct 19, 2018
  4. Paging File Size being set to none

Paging File

Go to the page file settings and select custom size. Make the initial size the same as the maximum size. Then your page file will never become fragmented in the first place.

Polaris573, Oct 19, 2018
Thema:

Paging File Size being set to none

1. Paging File Size being set to none - Similar Threads - Paging File Size

2. What should I set the paging file size in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What should I set the paging file size in Windows 10?: I saw many articles on internet where it says if the paging file size is set to Automatic then windows can slow down my computer when it's dynamically changing paging file size. Is it true? What is the best setting for my computer in 2022? I have 8GB RAM & 250 GB m.2 SSD....
  3. About setting page file size??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About setting page file size??: Hi dear and always helpful community.I just installed a very very heavy modded version of Skyrim about the size of 300gb, And to prevent crashed due to lack of memory i tried following a guide on allocation more virtual memory on my C: drive where it is installed.But i am...
  4. About setting page file size??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    About setting page file size??: Hi dear and always helpful community.I just installed a very very heavy modded version of Skyrim about the size of 300gb, And to prevent crashed due to lack of memory i tried following a guide on allocation more virtual memory on my C: drive where it is installed.But i am...
  5. About setting page file size??

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Tweaking page file size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweaking page file size: With 32gb ram running win10 mostly for games, what is the best page file size setting ? Should i leave it at default, increase it or disable it ? 181333
  7. Finding the right page file size

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Finding the right page file size: Lately I've been getting a ton of out of memory crashes while playing games or even running apps on my secondary SSD. I set the page file to 15000 instead of letting Windows decide, and everything is working fine now, but it's a pretty random number I got from some guide. I...
  8. Page Size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Page Size: When I open a new Wordpad document it is always in Letter format. Can my computer be set so that it is always A4? Thank you. Max https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/page-size/0cc31c8c-55af-4b73-ae63-cf31f9b8f0f8
  9. Page size setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Page size setting: I'm trying to print my maps from Arc GIS to *.pdf; but it will only print letter size, even though I have set the print size to 34" x44" (also called Ansi E). How do I set the Microsoft .pdf writer to print to this size of paper?...
  10. Paging file size going crazy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Paging file size going crazy: I have posted similar question a while ago when I realized my paging file occupying 32 GBs (Surfaced starting Windows version 1703 ~ 1709) , the recommendations were to set paging file use off then back on . Now I noticed when I did the new paging is down to 1906 MBs which...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change paging file setting to none