Windows 10: Paging file size going crazy

Discus and support Paging file size going crazy in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have posted similar question a while ago when I realized my paging file occupying 32 GBs (Surfaced starting Windows version 1703 ~ 1709) , the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Paging file size going crazy

I have posted similar question a while ago when I realized my paging file occupying 32 GBs (Surfaced starting Windows version 1703 ~ 1709) , the recommendations were to set paging file use off then back on .

Now I noticed when I did the new paging is down to 1906 MBs which is fair , surprisingly it booms with the very next system restart to this :

Paging file size going crazy [​IMG]

Without me touching anything , now if I started playing games it may well reach the 32 GBs ceiling not only that but may start occupying different partitions as well .

This laptop is 8 GBs of RAMs and has an Nvidia GPU of 4 GBs + 4 GBs shared memory and on latest Nvidia Drivers .

When playing games RAM usage (Monitored by Task Manager with the aid of an additional display) would not exceed even 50~60%

When setting a Maximum size to paging files games may crash reporting insufficient memory issues after a while of use (Despite not less than 40% of RAMs are reported free by Task Manager) .

This now has me in doubt that windows is directing shared memory to paging file some how but I'm still wondering how it still manages to boom it to almost 16 GBs on second restart without me touching anything .

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 28, 2017
  2. GordonB-P Win User

CHANGING THE PAGING FILE SIZE TO A CUSTOM SIZE TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE??

As you have 12GB RAM, customising the pagefile won't give you any noticeable performance boost....I should leave it as it is.

GordonB-P, Oct 28, 2017
  3. CHANGING THE PAGING FILE SIZE TO A CUSTOM SIZE TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE??

I am following the tips to improving my computer performance.

I am going through the steps to check each process. it is asking me to uncheck the automatic paging file size and enter my new amounts in the custom size min and max boxes. how ever it doesn't provide me with what amounts i am suppose to you? I have no Idea
    what i should put??

my computer is an ASUS

windows 10

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2712 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 11.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 5.91 GB

Total Virtual Memory 17.4 GB

Available Virtual Memory 9.79 GB

Page File Space 5.53 GB

is there anything else you need to answer my question? to be honest i wouldn't know if any of the above helps anyway? or even makes sense? i am just trying to follow the tips and this one I believe is incomplete. especially if the tip is to help someone
    that didn't go to school to understand all of it. (where is tips for dummies?)

I understand a lot about computers and its functions however, this "paging file" i have never heard of and I don't even know it's use.

LA VIE DE BELL, Oct 28, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Paging file size going crazy

Post a screenshot of Task Manager - Performance tab showing memory info when the problem appears.

I suspect that the large pagefile is simply a symptom of the real problem, a large commit charge. Low memory warnings have nothing to do with a RAM shortage. Windows doesn't even have any messages for that. Such errors are due to the commit charge approaching the commit limit.

LMiller7, Oct 29, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    Change to manual, and set it at most to size of installed RAM. Even with 8GB of RAM I was able to keep it down to 1GB in size without any problems. Now, with 16GB of RAM I probably don't need any but I just noticed that after clean install, windows set it and keep it at just above 3GB.

CountMike, Oct 29, 2017
  6. @CountMike like I said manual leads to crashing on longer game play .

@LMiller7 The low memory warnings I think are game related / DX / .Net frame work and is game dependent , I had one game reporting not enough texture memory once even .
    Here are screen shots taken just as I run a game and then 10 minutes later , so yea the so called commit value keeps increasing , so what's to be done here ?
    Game Start :

10 Minutes Later :

nIGHTmAYOR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Paging file size going crazy

1. Paging file size going crazy - Similar Threads - Paging file size

2. BSOD Going crazy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Going crazy: I have done everything I can find on the subject of BSOD multiple errors, random.RAM - OKDrives - OKDrivers - UpdatedChipset - Updated to currentMemory dmp - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjQkdFsggUhD0h6v3uX4mF19jcvs?e=JnSStw includes MTBRunning:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60...
  3. BSOD Going crazy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Going crazy: I have done everything I can find on the subject of BSOD multiple errors, random.RAM - OKDrives - OKDrivers - UpdatedChipset - Updated to currentMemory dmp - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjQkdFsggUhD0h6v3uX4mF19jcvs?e=JnSStw includes MTBRunning:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60...
  4. Tweaking page file size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweaking page file size: With 32gb ram running win10 mostly for games, what is the best page file size setting ? Should i leave it at default, increase it or disable it ? 181333
  5. screen going crazy

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screen going crazy: first what looks like bubbles appear across the top of my screen, second my mouse disappears, third screen will zoom in and out, random dropdown menus will appear or random windows will open and close, finally I have to power off and back on to regain control....
  6. Fan going crazy . . .

in Windows 10 Support
    Fan going crazy . . .: Hi: My ASUS laptop fan has gone crazy lately. It runs wide open for a half a minute or more then shuts down to an idle, then goes up full blast again after a half a minute or so. It never ramps up or down, it's either idling or wide open. A complete restart doesn't help....
  7. Mouse is going crazy.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mouse is going crazy.: My doesn't click with certain programs. I can play my game fine, but I can't use my calculator or navigate my settings with it. It highlights what I'm pointing to, but it won't click....
  8. 365 going crazy

in Microsoft Office and 365
    365 going crazy: Recently, I have been unable to access my files without "signing in." When I click on "Sign in" I get a box asking me to insert my phone # or email. I am intermittently unable to type in the space provided. Should I chance to hit it just right, I then get a message that I...
  9. SCVHOST GOING CRAZY

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SCVHOST GOING CRAZY: Please help me, I really hate scvhost it makes my gaming experience become lag it consumes a lot of internet connection and consume more priority than my dota2. some people say its windows update, but ive downloaded all of the update, please help me to permanently kill...
  10. Cursor is going crazy

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor is going crazy: My cursor is flying all over the screen and there is a ghost cicle on the edge that is pulsing. When i have shut fown its okay gor a little bit the starts up again...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pagefile goin crazy