Windows 10: Paging file - what's the difference between "Automatically manage paging file size for all...

Discus and support Paging file - what's the difference between "Automatically manage paging file size for all... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; And does the operating system treat them as two different settings?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ste338729, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Ste338729 Win User

Paging file - what's the difference between "Automatically manage paging file size for all...

And does the operating system treat them as two different settings?

:)

Ste338729, Dec 30, 2018
  2. psyko12 Win User

Page File

Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

psyko12, Dec 30, 2018
  3. Jetster Win User
    Page file size?

Deleting it is fine, but keep in mind if you delete your page file a memory dump has no where to go and will be deleted. Not a big deal but just FYI. Really there is nothing to gain by deleting a page file. Except for the physical space. Windows set your page file the same size as your ram for a reason. So suggesting you should delete it if you have 16+ Gb ram and wont need it is inaccurate. You can also recover Data on a BSOD if you have the dump file

"Microsoft says that, when the page file is set to a system-managed size and the computer is configured for automatic memory dumps, “Windows sets the size of the paging file large enough to ensure that a kernel memory dump can be captured most of the time.” As Microsoft points out, crash dumps are an important consideration when deciding what size the page file should be. The page file must be large enough to contain the memory data."

http://www.howtogeek.com/196672/windows-memory-dumps-what-exactly-are-they-for/

Jetster, Dec 30, 2018
  4. SaltyFish Win User

Paging file - what's the difference between "Automatically manage paging file size for all...

Page file size?

Certain programs require a page file to function. For example, the original Company of Heroes requires a page file larger than 768MB (I remember another game requiring a 1GB page file, but I don't recall its name). If you don't have any such programs, you can get by without a page file. Otherwise a 2GB page file should suit your needs. If you want a page file while preserving access speed and SSD life, you can pull shenanigans by putting a page file on a RAM disk.

SaltyFish, Dec 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Paging file - what's the difference between "Automatically manage paging file size for all... - Similar Threads - Paging file what's

2. Total paging file for all drives doesn't include paging file size from drive D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Total paging file for all drives doesn't include paging file size from drive D: Hi, I am facing an issue with updating the paging file size for my computer.I have allocated 800MB memory in C drive and 65536MB memory in D drive but the total paging file size for all drives isn't getting updated and remains 800MB only. I've updated the values and restarted...
  3. Total paging file for all drives doesn't include paging file size from drive D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Total paging file for all drives doesn't include paging file size from drive D: Hi, I am facing an issue with updating the paging file size for my computer.I have allocated 800MB memory in C drive and 65536MB memory in D drive but the total paging file size for all drives isn't getting updated and remains 800MB only. I've updated the values and restarted...
  4. About setting page file size??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About setting page file size??: Hi dear and always helpful community.I just installed a very very heavy modded version of Skyrim about the size of 300gb, And to prevent crashed due to lack of memory i tried following a guide on allocation more virtual memory on my C: drive where it is installed.But i am...
  5. About setting page file size??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    About setting page file size??: Hi dear and always helpful community.I just installed a very very heavy modded version of Skyrim about the size of 300gb, And to prevent crashed due to lack of memory i tried following a guide on allocation more virtual memory on my C: drive where it is installed.But i am...
  6. Tweaking page file size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweaking page file size: With 32gb ram running win10 mostly for games, what is the best page file size setting ? Should i leave it at default, increase it or disable it ? 181333
  7. Finding the right page file size

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Finding the right page file size: Lately I've been getting a ton of out of memory crashes while playing games or even running apps on my secondary SSD. I set the page file to 15000 instead of letting Windows decide, and everything is working fine now, but it's a pretty random number I got from some guide. I...
  8. What's the optimal page file size on a 16GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the optimal page file size on a 16GB RAM?: Hi! What's the optimal page file size to allocate on a 16GB RAM? I'm more into gaming and I read a lot of stuff about increasing the page file size to prevent crashes but really don't know it's functions. Some say set the minimum and maximum to 16GB but I noticed I lose those...
  9. What is the recommended Page File Size on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What is the recommended Page File Size on Windows 10: Hi, I'm running short of space on my Windows 10 64 bit PC. I carried out a clean install of windows 10 approx 2 months ago. I have a 256 SSD with 16 GB Ram and the page size is set at 25466 MB. Is this too big. I also run Disk clean-up and then system files, and it showed up...
  10. Paging file size going crazy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Paging file size going crazy: I have posted similar question a while ago when I realized my paging file occupying 32 GBs (Surfaced starting Windows version 1703 ~ 1709) , the recommendations were to set paging file use off then back on . Now I noticed when I did the new paging is down to 1906 MBs which...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. difference between automatic manage and system managed paging size in win10

2. windows Automatically manage paging file size for all drives