Windows 10: Paging files or not?

Discus and support Paging files or not? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi! I currently have a laptop with a PCIe SSD, 16GB RAM DDR4 and an HDD mainly for games and storage. In terms of paging I have system-managed size... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by EdwardFFS, Nov 20, 2016.

1. EdwardFFS Win User

Paging files or not?

Hi!

I currently have a laptop with a PCIe SSD, 16GB RAM DDR4 and an HDD mainly for games and storage. In terms of paging I have system-managed size paging files for the SSD and for both partitions of the HDD.

Would I experience any improvements in performance by not using paging files?

Thanks in advance!

:)

EdwardFFS, Nov 20, 2016

2. Windows created a temporary paging file - pop up whenever i restart my computer

BOIZ N GRYLLS I FIXED IT HOLY S**T!!!!!!!!!!!!

No joke, literally the last time I turned off my pc before i went to work, whatever I did during that instance, fixed it.. O_O

Alright, so, I honestly feel really bad to whoever has this same issue - HERE'S WHAT FIXED IT FOR ME!:

So you basically have to force Windows to delete and make a fresh copy of the 'pagefile.sys'.

Please note that this is what I followed for the most part: Windows 7 – Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occured with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. | Jack Stromberg

Please not that following that guide 100% to the end did not help ME, but it may help you. My solution followed that guide all the way till then, but I had to do a different thing, I'll go into that later.

• Click Start, right-click Computer, and select Properties
    • In the left pane, select Advanced system settings
    • On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button under Performance
    • On the Advanced tab, click the Change button under Virtual memory
    • Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box and check No paging file
    • Click Set button next to No paging file
    • Click OK on all open windows and restart your machine
    • Open up Windows Explorer
    • Navigate to the root of your system drive (C:\)
    • Enable the showing of System Files
      • On the View menu, click Options
      • On the View tab, click Show All Files, and then click OK
    • Delete the pagefile.sys file
    • Click Start, right-click Computer, and select Properties
    • In the left pane, select Advanced system settings
    • On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button under Performance
    • On the Advanced tab, click the Change button under Virtual memory
    • Check the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives checkbox and click OK
    • Restart your machine
    DO EVERYTHING UP TO STEP '11' - This i where MY fix for this issue worked, for ME. it will probably work for you too though lol.

After step 11, hit the Windows Key + R and type in 'Regedit' - This will bring you the the Registry Editor.

GO TO - 'Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management'. DELETE EVERYTHING IN THE RIGHT PANEL! Note that you cannot delete '(Default)',
    or at least I couldn't, so just hit OK or whatever when it says that you can't delete it.

Now continue with the rest of the guide above, except instead of leaving the 'No paging file' box check, click on custom paging file size instead. For me, I did 1000 for min and 2000 for max. This is what worked for me. I don't want to fiddle
    around with these numbers because they worked for me and I don't want to risk having to do this over kek.

After clicking on Custom Paging File Size or whatever and you put in the numbers, MAKE SURE TO CLICK SET, AND BE SURE TO CHECK THE 'AUTOMATICALLY MANAGE PAGING FILE SIZE FOR ALL DRIVERS' CHECKBOX - which is located at the top of
    the window.

Hit 'OK' for every window, and apply for every window too (I think it only gives you to option to 'apply' in one windows, can't remember as of now)

Now at this point you should be able to observe that there is no pagefile.sys in your Local Disk (CPaging files or not? :) drive root folder. At this point there should also only be 'Default' left in the the right panel of the Regedit window in '\Memory Management'.
    RESTART YOUR PC NOW AND PRAISE TO GABEN WHILE YOU CROSS YOUR FINGERS AND HOPE THAT WHEN YOUR PC BOOTS UP AND YOU GET TO YOUR DESKTOP THERE WON'T BE THAT **** ANNOYING POPUP :~)

I sincerely hope this fix works for you. I also hope you know that whoever is having this exact issue, I feel really bad for you: this is by far the worst and most irritating issue that I've had with any computer, ever.

So I hope this fix works for you, if you're having this issue too. Thank you for reading. Good luck!

PeachesTheWalrus, Nov 20, 2016
  3. Paging file problems -Windows 10

Hi,

It's glad to know that issue has been fixed and thank you for sharing the information with us.

Do let us know if you have any queries pertaining to Windows. We'll be glad to help.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Nov 20, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Paging files or not?

Maybe, maybe not. Keep in mind that some programs may not install if they don't see Virtual Memory/paging file. Win7 actually had a written recommendation [by Microsoft] of 1.5 times the physical RAM in its Help and Support on Virtual Memory, seems most such searches [Cortana?] on Win10 go to the Internet.

Berton, Nov 20, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    With that much RAM you can safely set it to 1GB. Just so it's there if some programs like Photoshop complain there is some. Apart from some space saved there's no real advantage of not using it or using it, even with 8GB of RAM I never seen any of it used.
    One of things that make W10 seemingly faster is ability to keep as much in memory as possible instead of looking at disks.

CountMike, Nov 21, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    I routinely turn off the paging file completely before making a system image (hibernation too, makes for a smaller system image file). I can't say I've noticed any real difference running without a paging file, and I only have 4GB of RAM.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Paging files or not?

1. Paging files or not? - Similar Threads - Paging files

2. Why does Windows keep on increasing size of a Paging file even on a system with 16Gb RAM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows keep on increasing size of a Paging file even on a system with 16Gb RAM?: Hi, I use a laptop with 16Gb RAM running Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I read many articles and posts that with a lot of RAM you don't really need a page file and it can be disabled. There are posts on Microsoft forum itself which say that we must have page file for Windows to...
  3. Why does Windows keep on increasing size of a Paging file even on a system with 16Gb RAM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows keep on increasing size of a Paging file even on a system with 16Gb RAM?: Hi, I use a laptop with 16Gb RAM running Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I read many articles and posts that with a lot of RAM you don't really need a page file and it can be disabled. There are posts on Microsoft forum itself which say that we must have page file for Windows to...
  4. Why does Windows keep on increasing size of a Paging file even on a system with 16Gb RAM?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Page File name in Chinese words.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Page File name in Chinese words.: I'm just going through the system information and find that the Page File is with some Chinese words. C:\Windows\Ю I'm unable to locate it manually, is it a virus or malware, how to deal with it.System Configuration - Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 Mhz,...
  6. Page File name in Chinese words.

Page File name in Chinese words.: I'm just going through the system information and find that the Page File is with some Chinese words. C:\Windows\Ю I'm unable to locate it manually, is it a virus or malware, how to deal with it.System Configuration - Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 Mhz,...
  7. How can I get my page file smaller?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get my page file smaller?: My HP laptop is packing up because of low storage space and I need something that I can delete or make smaller, my current page file is around 21 gigabytes and that's literally larger than the file to setup windows, can I do anything about this?...
  8. How can I get my page file smaller?

How can I get my page file smaller?: My HP laptop is packing up because of low storage space and I need something that I can delete or make smaller, my current page file is around 21 gigabytes and that's literally larger than the file to setup windows, can I do anything about this?...
  9. Why my windows 11 files explorer home page doesn't work properly?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my windows 11 files explorer home page doesn't work properly?: Something wrong happen with my files explorer home page. I don't know what happened but it changed to be a list view and it looks bad . The Quick Access and Favorites Group is missing. There is no group section, just a list of my recent files. I try to change the view mode to...
  10. Why my windows 11 files explorer home page doesn't work properly?

Why my windows 11 files explorer home page doesn't work properly?: Something wrong happen with my files explorer home page. I don't know what happened but it changed to be a list view and it looks bad . The Quick Access and Favorites Group is missing. There is no group section, just a list of my recent files. I try to change the view mode to...