Windows 10: Paint cannot read this file This is not a valid bitmap file or its format is not currently...

Discus and support Paint cannot read this file This is not a valid bitmap file or its format is not currently... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There are many articles & posts on this subject. Many users have resolved this issue by using irfanview or paint.net or some other gimmick. None of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ashwin Pai, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Paint cannot read this file This is not a valid bitmap file or its format is not currently...

There are many articles & posts on this subject. Many users have resolved this issue by using irfanview or paint.net or some other gimmick. None of them worked for me.

A client of mine often receives images via email. These emails are downloaded on multiple computers.

Client received a set of images with png extension. One user using Windows 10 can simply double click on the attachment and the images open up in Photos. No other user can open the attachments regardless and we tried every solution offered in the many posts on this subject.. All others were Windows 7, so we thought maybe that was it and asked the client to forward the email to us.

On my Windows 10 computer I tried all solutions in many many posts. I tried about 6 applications, from MS Paint to Adobe Photoshop I renamed the extension from png to jpg , jpeg & psd

No luck.

Some users have mentioned that paint has a dimension limitation, but I can attest to the fact that I can open a jpg in MS Paint with Dimensions 10080 x 7200 Size 36.1MB

I did notice, while I renamed a file from png to jpg I got much more information on how the picture was taken. Still did not open in any application.

See below, was hoping somebody with an iPhone XR or X? could take some test images and post their findings.

Paint cannot read this file This is not a valid bitmap file or its format is not currently... 34248382-d6c4-4823-bc35-d667b74596e2?upload=true.png

:)

Ashwin Pai, Aug 3, 2020

2. Paint will not open a large high resolution bitmap.

I created a blank bitmap file and resized and resampled it to 300 DPI and 13,200 x 13,200 pixels (44x44 inches). The first time I opened the bitmap in Paint, it loaded fine. I made no changes to the file and closed it. Then, I tried to reopen it and Paint
    gave me the message: "Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported." I need Paint to be able to work with large bitmaps, can someone help?

Major Soliz, Aug 3, 2020
  3. T.Carter Win User
    Paint won't open valid file types over 1200x1200 resolution

MS Paint won't open certain valid file types over a certain size resolution.

If I scan something to .png, .jpg or .bmp at 1200x1200dpi or smaller, MS Paint will open the file fine. However, if I scan to any of those formats at 2400x2400dpi or above I get the error:

"Paint cannot read this file.

This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported."

This is regardless of the file size; e.g. if I scan to jpg at 2400x2400 with a small file size (the scanned image might only be 4MB), MS Paint gives the same error.

See following errors (with scan size info in red):

Paint cannot read this file This is not a valid bitmap file or its format is not currently... 29e8cba1-7969-4171-bebc-083a18a7fed5.png

All of these files open fine in any other image application. This purely has to do with the resolution of the file.

System specs:

• Windows 10 Pro (64bit)
    • Intel COre i5 750 @2.66GHz
    • 4GB RAM
    • OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
    • AMD Radeon HD5450 GPU

Other similar threads have suggested running sfc - this did nothing to fix the problem.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Other similar threads (that may or may not be the same cause):

Can you please explain why Paint can't open files with dpi's above 1200 or otherwise ask MS to fix it?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

T.Carter, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Paint cannot read this file This is not a valid bitmap file or its format is not currently...

Cannot open my files on my USB Stick

On trying to open files I receive this message:

Paint cannot read this file.

This is not a valid bitmap file,or its format is not currently supported.

I was trying to add one of the 400 files from the USB Stick to a background picture.

Pressed edit,and it all went wrong.

Cannot open in any app.

cornish145, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Paint cannot read this file This is not a valid bitmap file or its format is not currently...

1. Paint cannot read this file This is not a valid bitmap file or its format is not currently... - Similar Threads - Paint cannot read

2. Paint cannot read this file, This is not a valid bitmap file

in Windows 10 News
    Paint cannot read this file, This is not a valid bitmap file: [IMG]Microsoft Paint is a graphics editor that allows users to use its tools to edit images quickly and save them in almost every format. Some users have reported that they experience some errors when opening, uploading, or editing files in MS Paint. In this article, we will...
  3. xlsx file formats not valid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xlsx file formats not valid: i have files that i lost on a external drice i have recovered them but try to open and i get xlsx file formats not valid i have tried all steps that i have read up on with no results im stumped is there any other steps or solutions that i may try...
  4. xlsx file formats not valid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    xlsx file formats not valid: i have files that i lost on a external drice i have recovered them but try to open and i get xlsx file formats not valid i have tried all steps that i have read up on with no results im stumped is there any other steps or solutions that i may try...
  5. Corrupted Bitmap file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted Bitmap file: What causes the corruption in Bitmap files? I have a Windows 10 HP laptop, and when I open a bitmap file, it goes directly to the photos app, and says that the file has been corrupted or not supported. How do I fix it? And apparently, there is not a topic for corrupted files,...
  6. Corrupted Bitmap file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupted Bitmap file: What causes the corruption in Bitmap files? I have a Windows 10 HP laptop, and when I open a bitmap file, it goes directly to the photos app, and says that the file has been corrupted or not supported. How do I fix it? And apparently, there is not a topic for corrupted files,...
  7. Windows 10 Paint SAVE AS file to current location ??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Paint SAVE AS file to current location ??: Cant believe such a basic feature, available for over 20 years is destroyed by windows 10If i have a picture in lets say D:\games\steam\users\common\game\screenshots\picture001.pngWhen i click FILE > SAVE AS and want to save it instead of saving in the current folder location...
  8. Trying to find a bitmap file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to find a bitmap file: Hello, In system properties, there is a white control panel applet on the left side. In windows Vista, it is green with a swirl design. In windows 7, it's a light blue color. It was stored in Shell32.dll, under Bitmap, # 633. However, Windows 10 recently removed all...
  9. The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is...: I need help, every time I open my laptop up, it keeps on scanning and fixing for drive C: but it doesn't really fix it. I tried running chkdsk on cmd manually and it shows this Texts: The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect....
  10. RichTextBox.RTF setter throwing System.ArgumentException. File format is not valid in...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    RichTextBox.RTF setter throwing System.ArgumentException. File format is not valid in...: Prior conditions: Issue is coming with windows version 1803 Enable Beta: unicode UTF-8 for world wide language support (To enable Start => Region & Language settings => Related settings -> Additional date, time & regional settings => Region -> Change date, time or number...