Windows 10: Paint & Notepad won't allow exit - forces save as

Discus and support Paint & Notepad won't allow exit - forces save as in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use a lot of temporary data throughout my day and I have no desire to save. So when completed, I exit out. As of recently, my windows machine won't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jordon Gonzales, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Paint & Notepad won't allow exit - forces save as

I use a lot of temporary data throughout my day and I have no desire to save. So when completed, I exit out. As of recently, my windows machine won't allow me to exit out without forcing a save. It doesn't even ask if I want to save, just forces the 'save as' pop up. This is very very annoying. I have to use task manager to shut down the applications. ALT+F4 won't even work forces the save window.

:)

Jordon Gonzales, Mar 26, 2020

2. Notepad forces me to save when exiting

Hello,

Whenever I try to close a Notepad with some text in it, instead of popping the window asking me whether I want to save, don't save or cancel, it forces me to save the file.

How can I change that option?

Thank you

brianakias, Mar 26, 2020
  3. Notepad - Lost ability to exit without Saving

I am surprised by your suggestion of a Disk error checking scan .... although I will definately consiider it as my bigger Lenovo laptop has been effectively "Blue Screening" and going into Restarts most days.

Lenovo Laptop - Problems with Notepad Saving (forced "Save As" ... no option to "Don't save") and also problems with Right click and Select "Properties" (doesn't answer) ... Win !0 ... other non microsoft software (libre Office) allows "Don't Save"

ASUS Mini Laptop ... Terribly Slow 1Ghz ... but great for 10KG baggage allowance on Cabin Baggage only Flights when Hold Luggage would cost a lot.... Also Win 10 .... Can "Don't Save" out of Notepad and I think right click for Properties amazingly shows
    Prooperties rather than doing nothing.

If there are disk errors surely it would have to be at the exact point where the Notepad Software Program is stored.... Otherwise why wouldn't these Notepad programs work the same.

I often use Notepad to get rid of Formatting ... Fonts .... Html etc etc and get to the native text. I therefore don't need to save the item as I have just used it as a temporay scratch pad.

GeorgeMcVitie, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Paint & Notepad won't allow exit - forces save as

Cannot edit images when saved in Fresh paint

Hi Kamila,

As per the information, I understand that when you save an image drawn in Fresh Paint, you are unable to edit the image once saved.

If the above is true, I suggest that you follow the steps below to save the image in a manner that will allow you to edit it.

• To save your painting right click on fresh paint and click on
      Save as
      . You will get an option to select the location.
    • Select the location and save the painting.
    • When you reopen fresh paint you will be on the painting you used before closing fresh paint. If you do not get the painting, you may click on image and go to the location and select the image to edit.

For added information on Fresh Paint refer to the FAQ below

Fresh Paint FAQ....

Note: Also applies to 10

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Paint & Notepad won't allow exit - forces save as

1. Paint & Notepad won't allow exit - forces save as - Similar Threads - Paint Notepad won't

2. Notepad hangs at exit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad hangs at exit: When I do not quit notepad before shutdown, Windows 11 prevents me from doing shutdown. After "cancel shutdown" and return to desktop, I find the notepad inactive. The only way to return to normal function is "end of task" in Task Manager Task is Notepad application.This...
  3. Notepad hangs at exit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad hangs at exit: When I do not quit notepad before shutdown, Windows 11 prevents me from doing shutdown. After "cancel shutdown" and return to desktop, I find the notepad inactive. The only way to return to normal function is "end of task" in Task Manager Task is Notepad application.This...
  4. Set Windows Notepad 11.2307.27.0 to ask to save upon exit

Set Windows Notepad 11.2307.27.0 to ask to save upon exit: When I exit notepad without saving - I lose my edits.How can I set Notepad 11.2307.27.0 to ask to save upon exit, when the file was changed?Thanks,Efrat...
  5. Set Windows Notepad 11.2307.27.0 to ask to save upon exit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set Windows Notepad 11.2307.27.0 to ask to save upon exit: When I exit notepad without saving - I lose my edits.How can I set Notepad 11.2307.27.0 to ask to save upon exit, when the file was changed?Thanks,Efrat...
  6. paint and notepad error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    paint and notepad error: i have tried to reset and reinstall the application but it doen't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/paint-and-notepad-error/8a7f0ba5-d60d-477d-a303-5d73babdce7b
  7. paint and notepad error

paint and notepad error: i have tried to reset and reinstall the application but it doen't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/paint-and-notepad-error/8a7f0ba5-d60d-477d-a303-5d73babdce7b
  8. Notepad & Paint alternatives that save size of each window?

Notepad & Paint alternatives that save size of each window?: Just spent 30 seconds downloading Greenshot and 30 minutes uninstalling it without ever being able to open and use it, so guess I'll stay with MS "fix what's not broken" snipping tool. Which saving as Paint files I use a LOT, and Notepad even more. __Both of which serve 99%...
  9. Paint 3D won't open saved project.

Paint 3D won't open saved project.: I want to recover a paint 3d project that will no longer open. Can anyone open the file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/paint-3d-wont-open-saved-project/d83ac2d3-c13d-42b6-9a28-e3caef599851
  10. Paint 3d won't save any files

Paint 3d won't save any files: For some reason Paint 3D won't save any of my files. It doesn't matter what type I save it as, it still shows as couldn't save. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong or what I should try next?...