Windows 10: pak files opening my microsoft edge

Discus and support pak files opening my microsoft edge in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; i accidentally made pak files always open by microsoft edge, and now all of them do, how do i fix this so they just open normally?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Finn Short, Aug 16, 2022.

1. pak files opening my microsoft edge

i accidentally made pak files always open by microsoft edge, and now all of them do, how do i fix this so they just open normally?

:)

Finn Short, Aug 16, 2022
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

What is PAK file?

.pak files were used by id for games like Quake. .pak files were simply folders with an extention designed to be used for the games that used the .pak files. .pk3 and .pk4 are .pak files with compression, .pk4 bieng more efficent of course.

3. Frick Win User
    What is PAK file?

I probably will make the game unusable. As said, .pak-files are simply folder with textures and sounds etc.. If you delete it, this game won't have anything to go on.

Frick, Aug 16, 2022
  4. DaveM121 Win User

pak files opening my microsoft edge

pak files opening by notepad

Hi RejectedCape, it is not easy to remove a file association in Windows 10,

Open Windows File Explorer

On the view Ribbon (tab) check the box marked 'File Name Extensions'

Close File Explorer

Right click your Desktop and choose New - Text File

Change the file extension on that new file from .txt to .exe

Confirm the change

Right click a .pak file, choose open with - Choose another App

Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open .pak files' - IMPORTANT!

Scroll to the bottom and click 'More Apps'

Again scroll to the bottom and choose 'Find another app on this PC'

Navigate to the dummy file exe on your Desktop and click OK

The .pak file will not open

Delete the dummy exe file on your Desktop and restart your PC

The file association will then be broken!

DaveM121, Aug 16, 2022
Thema:

pak files opening my microsoft edge

1. pak files opening my microsoft edge - Similar Threads - pak files opening

2. How do I stop .pak files opening in Edge as Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop .pak files opening in Edge as Default: So I play Baldur's Gate 3 and while working on adding a couple of mods in, I accidentally selected for all .pak files to open in Edge by default which has meant that ALL my .pak files for the game are trying to open in Edge which has essentially knackered my game. I have...
  3. How do I stop .pak files opening in Edge as Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop .pak files opening in Edge as Default: So I play Baldur's Gate 3 and while working on adding a couple of mods in, I accidentally selected for all .pak files to open in Edge by default which has meant that ALL my .pak files for the game are trying to open in Edge which has essentially knackered my game. I have...
  4. How do I stop .pak files opening in Edge as Default

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. File Explorer & Microsoft Edge not opening!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer & Microsoft Edge not opening!: Hey, this might be a longer read, but it's also a long shot for me. I'm currently running a 660 Ti, Windows 10 Pro computer that I got from my brother. Since I've had it, I've been having this strange issue, and other than friends saying that I should wipe my whole computer,...
  6. File Explorer & Microsoft Edge not opening!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer & Microsoft Edge not opening!: Hey, this might be a longer read, but it's also a long shot for me. I'm currently running a 660 Ti, Windows 10 Pro computer that I got from my brother. Since I've had it, I've been having this strange issue, and other than friends saying that I should wipe my whole computer,...
  7. File Explorer & Microsoft Edge not opening!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. pak files opening my microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pak files opening my microsoft edge: i accidentally made pak files always open by microsoft edge, and now all of them do, how do i fix this so they just open normally? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pak-files-opening-my-microsoft-edge/c4f5d6c3-bd13-40cf-8b1a-40311b03c250
  9. pak files opening my microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pak files opening my microsoft edge: i accidentally made pak files always open by microsoft edge, and now all of them do, how do i fix this so they just open normally? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pak-files-opening-my-microsoft-edge/c4f5d6c3-bd13-40cf-8b1a-40311b03c250
  10. Are/What pak files are safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Are/What pak files are safe to delete?: I was recently running low on space so i thought i should delete giant files.I went to This PC then i clicked on the Local Disk and I searched size:gigantic.When i searched it all of the files we're pak files.I recently downloaded Fortnite for my little cousin, and before I...