Windows 10: parent/admin accounts

Discus and support parent/admin accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; hey i need a Microsoft employee to walk me through on how to un child my account because when I had my hard drive wiped it made me a child account for... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by maceismadatwindows, Dec 11, 2021.

1. parent/admin accounts

hey i need a Microsoft employee to walk me through on how to un child my account because when I had my hard drive wiped it made me a child account for absolutely zero reason and now i cant use my browser of choice. I attempted to fix the issue by having a second account but that did not work because evidently I'm not the admin of my pc which is retarded because its a custom pc that I built there should not be any bloat wear but I couldn't tell you if this was a product of bloat wear or my own mistake, but if this was my doing Microsoft need to make It more obvious if your about to knee cap you

:)

maceismadatwindows, Dec 11, 2021
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Dec 11, 2021
  3. NikoNiels Win User
    Cunundrum: Merging Local Admin Account and Microsoft Family Admin/Parent account.

Contents

This is a little bit of a multifaceted question, so here are the contents:

1. What I want and why?
    2. What precisely is the problem?
    3. What specifically do I want to know?

What I want and why: A non-convoluted system to manage my attention when behind my computers.

I have two devices. On my desk sits a laptop for work/study, and before the couch stands a TV-like computer for leisure: watching videos and news. The two devices are in separate places (desk vs. couch) in my room to keep the activities separated.

I want each of the devices to have three synchronised family microsoft accounts.

1. A "study" child account which is restricted from accessing youtube and newssites.
    2. A "leisure" child account which is restricted from being accessed during work hours and sleep hours.
    3. An "admin" account which has both parental rights and administrator rights. The passwords to this account are long, random, and put away in a password manager. This way, I do have full control over all the restrictions and the inner workings of my devices,
      but it is cumbersome to change things on an impulse.
    Luckily, the synchronisation of microsoft family accounts accross devices allows me to use all accounts on all devices, which is a flexibility that I might want someday. For instance, if I have a CPU-heavy game that the much older TVcomputer cannot handle,
    I could install it on my Study Laptop on the leisure account, but I could then only play it outside work hours, which is good.

Now there are a lot of passwords that come with this. Each of the accounts have a microsoft password and a PIN on each device. This is mostly fine; I have a safe password manager for the admin passwords and my regular accounts aren't admins and have
    simpler, more often used passwords. But it is kinda important that the password system (not the passwords themselves) don't get too convoluted.

What precisely is the problem?

Both of my devices run windows 10, and one of them works as described above. Thus it should be possible what I want to achieve. On the other, only my non-admin accounts are synchronised as expected. The admin account is a local one, which needs to be merged
    with the parent microsoft account, and then I'd be done. But that is not as easy as I thought.

On this forum, Louie Del gave a good guide on how to merge a local admin account with a microsoft admin account. It sits here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...icrosoft/03037793-0328-46d2-8995-f83847d2b9dc.
    If I go to the settings submenu where I am supposed to be, it reads "manage your microsoft account" where it should read "sign in with a microsoft account instead". I vaguely remember going through Louies' process before, so maybe the accounts
    are already merged.

Except the passwords do not get synchronized. If I install a program on the device, it will ask me for the password to the Admin account, but it will only accept the old local admin account password, instead of the new MS account password. This was very
    frsutrating. On top of this, I can allow my MS parent account to log in on my device separately from my admin account, so now we have two accounts that seem associated to the same MS account. And the other device does have its admin be the MS family parent
    account, so it can work. However, I think I may have configured that on the first boot so that there never was a local account on my TV (I don't know that might be an option).

I want to be able to often change my admin password, and with this half-merged state I need to change two passwords, and keep them separately in my password manager. This is more work for changing passwords and the entire setup is more cluttered, which is
    harder to keep track of in my mind. If I am asked an admin password, I've deliberately made it inconvenient but possible to find it, but that doesn't mean that I should be confused about which password I even need, because that is frustration I did not intend
    to have. For convenience and my own sanity I'd like to have all admin accounts on all my devices be the MS version, with the same password and one PIN per device. To do that I would need to merge or replace my local admin account with the MS admin account.

So what do I want to know?

1) Is it possible to merge my local Admin account with my MS Family parent account directly, similar to Louie Dels' answer?

• If so, how? Did I do something wrong? Or are there other ways I am unaware of?
    2) Is it possible to replace my local Admin account with my MS Family parent account, by allowing it to log in on my computer, giving it admin rights, porting everything over and deleting the other account.

• What can and cannot be easily ported over from one account to another? What should I be aware of?
    • Are there drastic unforseen consequences to deleting the local Admin account that I had, given there still is an MS admin account? Could I experiment and undo it if I didn't like (in the sense that I can create a new local account, give it admin rights,
      port everything over and removing the MS account from that device) and get back the same state as I have now? Or will that somehow destroy my computer?
    3) Is it wise not to have a local admin account separately from any MS accounts.

• Why would it be unwise?
    • What are the trade-offs between the two options?
    • Should I consider having a local admin account on the other device where the admin is
      indeed a MS account?

NikoNiels, Dec 11, 2021
  4. C0zzie Win User

parent/admin accounts

How to change admin user account name?

ah so main admin account is 'wizzle' which is what I am currently on
    I make another account called 'wizzle2' (with admin rights)
    I sign out of 'wizzle' and sign into 'wizzle2'.
    And once signed into 'wizzle2', then I do the command prompt step and find the SID for 'wizzle' that is listed and go from there?

C0zzie, Dec 11, 2021
Thema:

parent/admin accounts

1. parent/admin accounts - Similar Threads - parent admin accounts

2. Family Safety: Installing software as the parent/admin into the child/standard account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Safety: Installing software as the parent/admin into the child/standard account?: Hello! I've set up Family Safety. My child has a standard account in Windows 11 Pro, I have the admin account. How does one install software onto the child's account when Family Safety is turned on? I had to change his account to an admin account, restart, then install...
  3. Family Safety: Installing software as the parent/admin into the child/standard account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Family Safety: Installing software as the parent/admin into the child/standard account?: Hello! I've set up Family Safety. My child has a standard account in Windows 11 Pro, I have the admin account. How does one install software onto the child's account when Family Safety is turned on? I had to change his account to an admin account, restart, then install...
  4. parent/admin accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    parent/admin accounts: hey i need a Microsoft employee to walk me through on how to un child my account because when I had my hard drive wiped it made me a child account for absolutely zero reason and now i cant use my browser of choice. I attempted to fix the issue by having a second account but...
  5. parent/admin accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    parent/admin accounts: hey i need a Microsoft employee to walk me through on how to un child my account because when I had my hard drive wiped it made me a child account for absolutely zero reason and now i cant use my browser of choice. I attempted to fix the issue by having a second account but...
  6. Cunundrum: Merging Local Admin Account and Microsoft Family Admin/Parent account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cunundrum: Merging Local Admin Account and Microsoft Family Admin/Parent account.: Contents This is a little bit of a multifaceted question, so here are the contents: What I want and why? What precisely is the problem? What specifically do I want to know? What I want and why: A non-convoluted system to manage my attention when behind my computers. I...
  7. Kids account to parent account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Kids account to parent account: How do I change a kid's account into a parent's account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kids-account-to-parent-account/de989d7d-48db-476b-9296-be76f0fe3bb3
  8. Can't login to parent account.

Can't login to parent account.: When I open google chrome it tells me to ask a parent for permission. I know how to fix this, the problem is just that I can't log in to the parent in my family's email. We tried logging in to her email, but no emails showed up. This must mean that it's connected to another...
  9. Parental consent on an account that's not in a family.

Parental consent on an account that's not in a family.: I recently left a family to switch my account to a adult account. However, when I open certain applications, I still require parental consent. Can someone help me fix this problem?...
  10. Parent Account Restriction

Parent Account Restriction: I'm having an issue purchasing an application on my PC due to it requiring parent consent. My parent does not have access to his account any longer and I have no way to remove the parent account from mine. Can someone help me out with this?...