Windows 10: Part 2 - No Windows Updates over Mobile Broadband!

Discus and support Part 2 - No Windows Updates over Mobile Broadband! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all. I am starting this new thread as the previous thread had become quite old and no one was replying on that post. I had started a thread... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by shobhitk, Apr 11, 2016.

1. shobhitk Win User

Part 2 - No Windows Updates over Mobile Broadband!

Hi all.
    I am starting this new thread as the previous thread had become quite old and no one was replying on that post.

I had started a thread here a while ago regarding usage of a mobile broadband like 3g/4g to receive windows updates in Windows 10. The method worked like a charm for some time but then it completely stopped working. Now again I cant download Windows Updates following the gpedit method shown in the aforementioned thread.

This is really very frustrating. The owner of the mobile broadband is not allowed to use it as per his or her needs! Guys do we have a working method to force 'smart' Windows 10 to use the mobile broadband dongle to download the windows updates?

Your help would be much appreciated!
    Regards

:)

shobhitk, Apr 11, 2016
  2. aspergerguy, Apr 11, 2016
  3. PeterW321 Win User
    Control windows 10 home updates

Hi All

I need a way to control windows updates over mobile broadband.

I know you can manage it over WIFI. That is; you can set each WiFi network can have a "Metered connection" property set on it. Metered networks should not allow updates to be downloaded and that your updates will be withheld until
    you connect to a network that you have not identified as Metered.

BUT you cannot set LAN networks as Metered, only WiFi ones.

The problem I have is that my mobile broadband is identified as an Ethernet LAN connection.

I do try to keep my laptop up-to-date and make absolutely sure all patches antivirus etc are up-to-date before I go on the road. But this does not stop win10 downloading the latest update over what is my most expensive connection.

How can I change the way in which windows 10 identifies my usb mobile broadband or control which LAN is a “Metered Connection”?

Thanks

Peter

PeterW321, Apr 11, 2016
  4. shobhitk Win User

Is there no way to 'force' Windows 10 to use mobile broadband to download windows updates? There has to be something....atleast i hope there is a way out.

shobhitk, Apr 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Part 2 - No Windows Updates over Mobile Broadband! - Similar Threads - Part Updates Mobile

2. Huawei mobile broadband connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Huawei mobile broadband connection: I use windows 11 upgrading recently from windows 7.My only means of connection to internet is my usb router : huawei mobile broadband model E3216.Since my upgrade and my uploading of all recent updates suggested by the windows update, my USB doesn't connect to internet. It...
  3. Mobile Broadband connection issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mobile Broadband connection issue: Hello, win10 on HP Elite book 8470p is blocking mobile broadband access. SIM card is fine, just tried it in neighbours computer. I am with Optus, their support techs say "everything is ok" on their network. SIM card check agrees. Yesterday while in Network & Internet Settings...
  4. No Updates on mobile broadband

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Updates on mobile broadband: I am on Windows 10. I regularly use a mobile broadband dongle. I pay £10 every 30 days and get 1GB.A typical update came through today on Windows 10 at 532mb!That is far too much for mobile broadband dongle users. I didn't have enough data so it failed and all my data was...
  5. Update part 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Update part 2: H,I made a post like this before but I felt as if I need to be more specific so here I go. My Windows 10 laptop can not update because there is not enough space on my C: drive. Though I don't really have anything downloaded there, most stuff is on my D: drive. Most stuff...
  6. Mobile Broadband adapter Cellular

Mobile Broadband adapter Cellular: Hello everyone.i am using Dell Latitude E6420.I installed Sierra MC8355 cellular adapter.it is working fine.My question is that can i use cellular connection to make Voice calls through My laptop? If yes then Kindly guide me the procedure.Thanks in Advance....
  7. Updates and data reporting using Mobile Broadband

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates and data reporting using Mobile Broadband: Before I return to 10 home version (reverted back to 8.1 for a few months), there are a few issues I can see and experienced when using the new system which need to be clarified/fixed before I go back to 10. Whilst it is fine using my home landline network to update a...
  8. No Windows Updates over Mobile Broadband!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No Windows Updates over Mobile Broadband!: Hi everyone, I am running windows 10 pro and now i want to update my system using "Windows Updates". The problem is that Windows Update is showing numerous new updates for the system but i have a mobile broadband (ie. usb dongle type) for internet purposes over which i want...
  9. Mobile broadband connection

Mobile broadband connection: Windows 10 Help says that I should have a Mobile connection link under Network and Internet, I don't. By luck I managed to connect my dongle because Windows saw it as a drive. I now need to be able to use the Mobile link in order to set my connection to metered so that I...
  10. mobile broadband and windows 10

mobile broadband and windows 10: hi, got the windows 10 update, and was having problems getting connected to the internet, so i uninstalled my mobile broadband program, and now dont know how to run the program again, because all that happens now is i get a notification in the action center, every time...