Windows 10: Partial Clone?

Discus and support Partial Clone? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'd like to make a bootable copy of my computer's current state. I have many videos, photos, documents that I don't need to backup with this operation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimlau, Jul 1, 2019.

1. jimlau Win User

Partial Clone?

I'd like to make a bootable copy of my computer's current state. I have many videos, photos, documents that I don't need to backup with this operation in order to save space. So I basically want a clone without all the multimedia files. That way i could boot from it and still have all programs (apps) working as before.

Cloning I guess does all files, which I don't want. Is there a way to do such a bootable backup with only the programs (apps), registry, and all needed to boot from?

Thanks.

:)

jimlau, Jul 1, 2019
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Jul 1, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Jul 1, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Partial Clone?

Cloning HD

I don't know about Acronis, but I use the Free version of
    AOMEI Partition Assistant
    to clone Drives and have never had any trouble . . .

Click HERE for a step by step on cloning your hard drive with AOMEI

DaveM121, Jul 1, 2019
Thema:

Partial Clone?

1. Partial Clone? - Similar Threads - Partial Clone

2. Backed up and saw ‘Partially backed up’

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backed up and saw ‘Partially backed up’: I have no idea what is going on. See, I have another computer that I used to use, then I bought another one since the other one was getting old. I was going to give the old computer to my father, but he got rid of a bunch of folders and items while he was logged into my...
  3. Backed up and saw ‘Partially backed up’

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backed up and saw ‘Partially backed up’: I have no idea what is going on. See, I have another computer that I used to use, then I bought another one since the other one was getting old. I was going to give the old computer to my father, but he got rid of a bunch of folders and items while he was logged into my...
  4. Can I create a clean USB windows boot with my partially corrupted PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I create a clean USB windows boot with my partially corrupted PC: I had some issues updating my PC to a recent update for Windows 10. I believe the update was interrupted and led to some files becoming corrupted. While trying to diagnose this issue with resetting and troubleshooting I eventually did a reset without deleting personal files...
  5. Can I create a clean USB windows boot with my partially corrupted PC

Can I create a clean USB windows boot with my partially corrupted PC: I had some issues updating my PC to a recent update for Windows 10. I believe the update was interrupted and led to some files becoming corrupted. While trying to diagnose this issue with resetting and troubleshooting I eventually did a reset without deleting personal files...
  6. Can I create a clean USB windows boot with my partially corrupted PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. My task bar is partially hidden when using mutliple displays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My task bar is partially hidden when using mutliple displays: HiMy task bar is partially hidden when using multiple displays surface pro laptop screen and additonal monitor. I have used several different monitors and the same thing happens. There is also a space between the window e.g. chrome browser, powerpoint window, etc. and the...
  8. My task bar is partially hidden when using mutliple displays

My task bar is partially hidden when using mutliple displays: HiMy task bar is partially hidden when using multiple displays surface pro laptop screen and additonal monitor. I have used several different monitors and the same thing happens. There is also a space between the window e.g. chrome browser, powerpoint window, etc. and the...
  9. Apple AirPods micro partially doesn't work. Output is ok, input is not ok

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apple AirPods micro partially doesn't work. Output is ok, input is not ok: Hello,For a few months now, my Surface Windows 11 has not been able to pick up the microphone of the regularly connected AirPods.So I have to use the headphones as output and the computer microphone as input but with a lot of discomfort because during the calls you can hear...
  10. Apple AirPods micro partially doesn't work. Output is ok, input is not ok

Apple AirPods micro partially doesn't work. Output is ok, input is not ok: Hello,For a few months now, my Surface Windows 11 has not been able to pick up the microphone of the regularly connected AirPods.So I have to use the headphones as output and the computer microphone as input but with a lot of discomfort because during the calls you can hear...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clone partial drive